This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Pane loading changes

nu2zorin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34:44 pm

Very new to Linux. Know very little about command prompts.

I installed Zorin 7 core in a dual-boot with XP Pro SP3.

Is there a way to stop the animation of panes opening, closing, and popping to the forefront?
Is there a way to stop newly opened panes from docking to the sides of the screen?

Wolfman

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:27:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I am not quite sure exactly what you mean, could you post a screenshot please!. (jpeg only please)

Regards Wolfman :D

nu2zorin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:41:47 pm

Thanks for the reply but I don't know how I would post animation to a jpg.

By animation I mean the panes don't just open and close abruptly but they slide, glide, or jump over previous panes.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31:20 pm

Hi,

what graphics card do you have?. Have you installed any drivers for it?.

It might be your Compiz settings??.

nu2zorin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:47:24 pm

It appears to me that zorin 7, by default, is designed to produce the animation of panes which is unrelated to a graphics card. If, as you suggest, it is a compiz setting then I go back to my original questions, is there a way to stop the animation of the panes when folders are launched, closed, and/or moved around and stop the docking of panes to the side of the screen when they are opened.

nu2zorin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:10:45 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I unchecked Animations and that appeared to be the solution to the slipping and sliding of panes. Wobbly wasn't enabled.

Perhaps "auto-dock" is the correct term for a file opening in a predetermined position. For example, Text Editor always opens in the upper left corner. I haven't found a way to stop that. I'd rather it opened in the last position it was in when it was closed.

Also, another issue, when I drag something to either of the upper corners it will maximize. I'd like to stop that action.

I don't know anything about "dconf" but a search of Home for it showed two folders: one with two red Xes, the other with just a file in it named "user", which was shown to be a file "of an unknown type". As a uninformed newbie that area is one I will most probably avoid.

nu2zorin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:57:17 pm

I have no dconf-Editor in System Tools and, although I have used the Windows regedit, I am too new to Linux/Zorin and at this point am reluctant to venture too far into such tweaks.

Not sure about the second link related to "Change Default Window Size of your Terminal" but I will give the Unity Tweak Tool a try.

Going to wrap it up for this evening, I'll check in tomorrow.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:54:42 am

Hi,

"Dconf-Editor" (dconf tools) is an updated version of the "Gnome configuration editor" and as such, can supply several tweaks for your desktop, the Unity Tweak Tool is only for the Unity desktop!.

To install it, open a terminal and paste this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Here is also something that may interest you:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

nu2zorin

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:05:18 am

Wolfman and Swarfendor I appreciate all of your help but I'm getting overwhelmed at this point.
I bookmarked most of the links you provided and will refer to them when I am able to better understand what to me is this foreign language called linux/ubuntu/zorin.

I'm in over my head and have to find a way to not spend hours trying do what appear to be simple tasks, that I do easily in Win XP. With your help I stopped the biggest visual annoyance, "Animation". Thanks for that!

Including screenshots of issues that are the result of suggestions previously made to get dconf editor and unity tweak tool.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:42:04 pm

Hi,

sorry to say but there is a learning curve required to use Linux!!.

The reason you cannot install dconf-tools is because you must first make sure that the software repositories are set-up, which you will need to do!!.

This is not such a daunting task as you may think, a little reading is required!!.

Take a look at the update guide and read the part about: "Software Sources Settings" which explains how you should have your software data base set-up.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

No rush, take it easy at your leisure!.