This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless STILL NOT working!1

rick414r

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54:57 pm

Hello,

I am just about at my wit's end!! I have been wrestling with this for MONTHS (and Linux in gerneral for years!!). I have tried practically EVERYTHING posted here to try and get my WiFi working on an HP NX9600 laptop.

When I installed Ubuntu 12.04 it found everything fine and wifi worked great. I go to install Zorin, and... nothing. No wifi!! At first, it did recognize that it was there allowing me to toggle "Airline Mode" and such. When I went to "activate" the Broadcom driver (under Additional Drivers) -- not only did it NOT work, but it REMOVED any traces of there being a wireless connection (or hardware)!! WHAT THE...!!!!!!

I tried following the instructions on a post that said "SOLVED" and having to go into Terminal (which in Windows (Command Line) I almost NEVER have to do anymore!!!! Hint Hint). The post said that once completing the steps I sould see my blue wifi led light up... it didn't! In fact the last command I entered just hung up and appeared to do NOTHING!

Now, I can be a reasonable and patient man, but quite honestly, my patience is wearing VERY thin and simply DO NOT have the time to "experiment"!! Why can't I EVER find a DEFINITIVE answer/solution to this problem? In Windows, when researching a problem, USUALLY I can have the problem fixed in one or two tries... but with Linux/Ubuntu/Zorin it has taken MONTHS (even years!) and I STILL have nothing to show for all of that time!!

It's possible that some might consider this a rant. Perhaps to some degree, but I have some VERY REAL & VALID points. Why is it that things just can't seem to compare to MS (where 98% of the time it just WORKS!!).

For those inclined to help with this, I offer my thanks in advance!!

Wolfman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30:58 am

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum,

the forum expert Madvinegar should be along soon to help you with this problem, please be patient!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:06:49 am

Hi. Broadcom is well supported by Linux. And since ubuntu 12.04 have recognized your wireless card, it means that we can get it working on Zorin as well.
Regarding MS, don't forget that all hardware and software is created and developed so as to work on MS. i.e. the creator of your Broadcom card also provides the correct microsoft drivers. On the contrary, the "brains" of Linux have to apply reverse engeeniring on the card and figure out themselves the correct drivers/firmware to get it working.
Please advise which version of zorin you are using, and also post back the results of the following commands so as to establish the model (ID) of your card:
To open terminal press (ctrl+Alt+T).

lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

I am sure we can get your card working.

GlennBowen

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:11:04 am

rick414r wrote:Hello,

I am just about at my wit's end!! I have been wrestling with this for MONTHS (and Linux in gerneral for years!!). I have tried practically EVERYTHING posted here to try and get my WiFi working on an HP NX9600 laptop.

When I installed Ubuntu 12.04 it found everything fine and wifi worked great. I go to install Zorin, and... nothing. No wifi!! At first, it did recognize that it was there allowing me to toggle "Airline Mode" and such. When I went to "activate" the Broadcom driver (under Additional Drivers) -- not only did it NOT work, but it REMOVED any traces of there being a wireless connection (or hardware)!! WHAT THE...!!!!!!

I tried following the instructions on a post that said "SOLVED" and having to go into Terminal (which in Windows (Command Line) I almost NEVER have to do anymore!!!! Hint Hint). The post said that once completing the steps I sould see my blue wifi
led lights up... it didn't! In fact the last command I entered just hung up and appeared to do NOTHING!

Now, I can be a reasonable and patient man, but quite honestly, my patience is wearing VERY thin and simply DO NOT have the time to "experiment"!! Why can't I EVER find a DEFINITIVE answer/solution to this problem? In Windows, when researching a problem, USUALLY I can have the problem fixed in one or two tries... but with Linux/Ubuntu/Zorin it has taken MONTHS (even years!) and I STILL have nothing to show for all of that time!!

It's possible that some might consider this a rant. Perhaps to some degree, but I have some VERY REAL & VALID points. Why is it that things just can't seem to compare to MS (where 98% of the time it just WORKS!!).

For those inclined to help with this, I offer my thanks in advance!!

hello friend were you able to sort out the issue? I am facing similar issue with my wireless so please provide some sort of solution..

Wolfman

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:13:50 am

Hi,

during the install process your are asked as to whether or not you want to install 3rd party software, did you tick the box?, Broadcom are well supported under Linux as MV has already pointed out and if you don't accept the terms and conditions by ticking the box, it won't install the drivers!.

Have you looked in Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers to see if there are drivers there?. (Zorin 7)

For Zorin 6: System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers

Have you done a full system update?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29:19 am

Helps us to help you.
I have requested for the results of the following terminal commands but I never received them.

lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Otherwise I cannot see your card's ID and the driver it needs.