This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin os 7 with VMware workstation 9

falkonviper

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:12:33 am

I have installed VMware workstation 9 on zorin os 7 but unfortunately the bridged connection or the NAT connection s won't work (there is no connection in the vmware machines)

Can anybody help in this issue ............

Thanks In Advance

Wolfman

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:11:45 am

Hi and welcome,

I don't do it myself but this might help you:

http://blog.guanxin.de/2012/07/static-i ... guest.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/servergui ... ation.html

Regards Wolfman :D

Anonymous

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:53:46 pm

Looky here...I just installed Zorin OS 7 Ultimate 32-bit via VMWare Workstation 9 in Windows 8 Pro the very first time by selecting custom install ....then Bridged ect. On reboot I installed VMWare Tools. Everything works perfect.
If you don't choose custom > Bridged Network on install it won't work. It can work if your that good at configuring VMWare ....VMWare Workstation. I haven't found anyone that good to date but their Support Techs !!!!

When you do get a Network connection after install > Don't mess with the Network Config....leave it be. It should stay on Bridged > ( Auto )

falkonviper

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:06:00 am

السﻻم عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
AlSalamoAlykom Wa RaHmato ALLAH Wa Barakatoh (Peace Be Always Upon You All )

First of all thank you all for trying to help ......... :)

Secondly
@wolfman ,
The first link talks about linux as guest which is the opposite of my case .... :)
The second link , on the end of the page helped alot ...... that may have solved apart of the problem

and thanks for your help :D

@ swarfendor437 ,

I tried to configure the Virtual Network Editor that comes with it and set the vmnet0 to eth0 as the bridged interface and the connection keeps on playing the come and go game ..... :)
About the virtual box I really tried it but in vain (I don't like it really as I setup my vm machines on a separate partition and add them to VMWare when I move to another distro or windows )

and thanks for your help ...... :D

@ datek1 ,

I'm really talking about the other way around in which Zorin OS 7 is the HOST system not the guest .... and yeah I'm quiet familiar with vmware settings but not just such a guru ..... :)

and thanks for your help dude ..... :D

Anonymous

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:13:22 am

I have the Linux Version likewise just haven't bothered with it lately. I'll mess around with it in a little while > Zorin OS 7 as Host and Windows 7 Home Premium as guest.
And see what I can conjure, for we have a different siuation now. I had you backwards...no wonder your having problems. I had it working once...I'll have it working again !! !! :D :D

falkonviper

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:20:06 am

OK ...... Good luck with it :D

And there is another issue with the sound ...... it is too low even at 100% ........ is there is a solution for it ....

And thanks in advance

Wolfman

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:09:10 am

falkonviper wrote:OK ...... Good luck with it :D

And there is another issue with the sound ...... it is too low even at 100% ........ is there is a solution for it ....

And thanks in advance

hi,

see the section about "Sound" here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2054

Hope it helps.

falkonviper

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:51:10 pm

@wolfman
This helped only on the system sound but the media players are still too low ......... :(

There is also this bothering message that appears every restart ......

Zorin_002.png

And the bluetooth (broadcom 2.1) also doesn't work with blueman or others .......... :(

And I just want to know why the distro didn't include all these necessary packages by default .... :roll:

And the internet speed once normal speedy and the other is slow .......... :?

Thanks In Advance

Wolfman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:49:31 am

Hi,

what are your output settings in the sound manager(s) like?, if you installed the Pulse Audio Manager; you can cross check that against the normal Ubuntu sound manager and see if there is a difference between the two!!.

The message you show doesn't tell us much as you didn't click on "Show Details", it may be harmless!!.

Did you fully update your system?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

As you can see, there is a slight difference between the settings managers!.

Sound_001.jpg

Volume Control_002.jpg

falkonviper

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:42:03 pm

The vlc player is kinda good for it .......... :)

and this is mine of pulse audio .........

Volume Control_002.png

And system sound

Sound_003.png

And the dark theme won't apply despite being enabled .........

Tweak Tool_001.png

And I would like to know how to restore the fonts ........

And thanks in advance

Wolfman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24:07 pm

Hi,

for one, the sliders on your volume settings pics both show as nearly muted/off!!. Move the sliders to the right to at least 100%.

The Tweak Tool doesn't work well at all in Zorin 7 (Ubuntu 13.04) as it is intended for a Gnome 3 desktop!!. Click on "Fonts" to change them with the Tweak Tool.

Use Ubuntu Tweak to change the themes which you will find info for in the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

falkonviper

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39:19 pm

And the fonts have changed after I installed kde settings and after I uninstalled it again , fonts didn't reset again to normal ..... so what can I do about it .........

And about the sliders I took the picture while the volume was lowered on purpose ......
:D

falkonviper

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:31:56 am

I'd like to know how to change the log in background color behind zorin logo ...........

And the brightness level is resetted to the highest level every restart .... how to adjust it to the level I want without being reset again ...........

And Thanks In Advance ........ :)

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:22:48 am

Hi,

for the login settings, use: Ubuntu Tweak > Tweaks > Startup > Login settings > Unlock and make your changes.
Ubuntu Tweak_013.jpg

Do you have a notebook or a normal PC?.

For brightness control, the answer may be here, this depends on your type of PC:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/311980/u ... ot-working

If you have a notebook, use the FN + F6 or F7 keys (or whatever combination your notebook uses). Also check in: System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock and see what you have there.

Let us know what happens.

Are you sorted with the sound problem now??.

If you want to install any KDE packages, I recommend that you install the full base packages for both KDE and Gnome, you will get a lot of extra packages you don't need but it does add to the stability of the system imo!!.

Paste the following command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome kde-full

Restart your PC afterwards.

falkonviper

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:25:11 am

I didn't mean this login screen, I meant the one before that within it the white craved Z in the blue hexagonal shape with the white background ........ the one before entering the system ...... :)

And my device is a Lenovo Notebook ....... and I have an ATI card but I disabled it in bios as it causes overheating with the 3.0.8 kernal ......... I tried it on kernal 3.0.2 that worked fine ....... :)

And the sound is average but not that good as it was on windows as it has a multiple thread and 3d surround options .......... but I use the vlc with the videos to make their sound a little higher than others ...... :D

madvinegar

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29:52 am

falkonviper wrote:And my device is a Lenovo Notebook ....... and I have an ATI card but I disabled it in bios as it causes overheating with the 3.0.8 kernal ......... I tried it on kernal 3.0.2 that worked fine ....... :)

Can you please post the result of the following terminal command:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 VGA

falkonviper

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36:27 am

It only shows the intel one ........

Sorry the attachment didn't work , so here it is ........

Code:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
   Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3975]
   Kernel driver in use: i915

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46:52 am

Hi,

the screen during boot is known as the "Splash Screen" and what you need is the "Zorin Splash Screen Manager" but I am not sure if this is available in the normal version of Zorin 7 as I only have Zorin 7 Ulitmate!!.
Menu_015.jpg

Menu > System Tools > Zorin Splash Screen Manager

Did you find the brightness controls?.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:48:30 am

For Intel drivers:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4723

falkonviper

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05:34 am

I use the core one so I don't have it ....... :)

And the brightness is still as it is ....... :)

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20:31 am

falkonviper wrote:I use the core one so I don't have it ....... :)

And the brightness is still as it is ....... :)

What have you done thus far to change the brightness, do you have an FN key and brightness control buttons, have you adjusted it????.

For splash screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-2hqD_tSg

Please provide more info when replying!.

falkonviper

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44:51 am

Yes I have FN+UP and DOWN button to adjust it ,but I want it to hold still on a certain level when ever I restart my system .......... :)

And I installed the intel driver the hard way as it doesn't work normally ...... :)

And I downloaded the zorin splash screen manager and trying to change it but still searching for .plymouth files to replace it with the original one ......... And I also installed plymouth manager ....... So if you know where to get good .plymouth files , you will ease it for me ........ :D

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01:43 am

Hi,

read here about Plymouth and click on the link for Gnome Look; you can download themes from there:

http://ubuntuguide.net/manager-gnome-pl ... en-manager

Check in System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock for the brightness control slider and you won't have to adjust it after each reboot!.

Did you run an update after installing the Intel drivers?, I would do so!.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:33:33 am

You can try this app but I don't know if it works in the Gnome 2 Look under Zorin?, it will not work in Win 7 look!:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/brig ... rol-ubuntu

falkonviper

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:45:14 pm

Thanks for it ........... :D

But I have another problem with the Dplayer (deepin-media-player) ...... I installed it and when I open any video with it it closes instantly .... don't know why ....... :roll:

Thanks in advance ...... :D

Wolfman

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:00:08 am

falkonviper wrote:Thanks for it ........... :D

But I have another problem with the Dplayer (deepin-media-player) ...... I installed it and when I open any video with it it closes instantly .... don't know why ....... :roll:

Thanks in advance ...... :D

Hi,

is the Deepin Media Player based on Gstreamer as Amarok is crashing at the moment which uses Gstreamer and whch is also a bug!!. I switched to Banshee which plays no problem!.

falkonviper

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:24:18 am

Thank you both swarfender437 & wolfman ,,,,,, :)

I like the players that has more options to be customized so I'd stuck to SMplayer and vlc ,,,,,,, :)

And thanks for your help ,,,,,,,,, :D

falkonviper

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:08:45 am

Sorry for that but when I installed the system again and tried to install vmware workstation 9 again it showed this message ,,,,,,,,

Code:
Installing VMware VMX 5.0.2
    Configuring...Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/vmis.v9RLlT/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 73, in emit
    if self.shouldRollover(record):
  File "/tmp/vmis.v9RLlT/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 146, in shouldRollover
    msg = "%s\n" % self.format(record)
  File "/tmp/vmis.v9RLlT/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 630, in format
    return fmt.format(record)
  File "/tmp/vmis.v9RLlT/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 421, in format
    s = self._fmt % record.__dict__
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 289: ordinaInstalling VMware Workstation 9.0.2
    Configuring...
[######################################################################] 100%
Installation was successful.       

And when I open it , it says ,,,,,,,,,

Question_002.png
Question_002.png (32.24 KiB)

and I tried it on another distro and it is the same error about not having the permission to write on the Home directory ,,,,,,,,
Any Ideas ,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks In Advance ,,,,,,,,, :)

Wolfman

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:31:53 am

Hi,

it seems you need to make yourself "root" during the install, to change permissions to the VM folder; you must make yourself root by pasting this command in a terminal, press "Ctrl + Alt + t" to open a terminal:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

and change the permissions of the main VM folder!. (Not sure where it will be be in your home folder?)

You will see a window like this and I am using the "Brasero" folder for my example:
brasero Properties_013.jpg

You need to locate the folder, it may be in : Computer > usr > share > folder name > permissions and right click it and change the permissions!.

How did you install the app?.

falkonviper

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11:51 am

I originally installed it as root ,,,,,, and I solved it that way also yesterday ,,,,,,, :D

And thanks for your help ,,,,,, :D