This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) New user, problems

Pacificus

Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:35:08 pm

I started using Zorin a few days ago. Already I'm experiencing serious problems: My computer has frozen a few times requiring the power to be cut in order to reset it; I tried to put it into suspend mode, the first time the monitor went blank and I had to cut the power. The second time the computer would not wake-up. I had to cut the power, but that didn't work. In fact, nothing appeared on the monitor at all after several resets and switch-offs. In the end I removed the motherboard battery, disconnected the HDD, waited several minutes and was able to once again see something on the monitor.

I'm also experiencing sluggishness here and there. Please tell me why I am experiencing these issues?

I have actually always had computer problems. Even through I changed motherboard, RAM, HDDs, CPU and graphics card (so essentially, other than the power supply, optical drives and case, it's a new computer), have used numerous different operating systems, I continue to experience poor running.

But back to the specific issue at hand - Zorin: once able to restart following the failed sleep-mode attempt, Zorin did produce an error report, which was sent to the programmers. Unfortunately I am unable to copy & paste text from the report (is there a way, or maybe a file somewhere?) so I do not know an easy way to include it in this thread (unless I screenshot a few image files). However, the report is still open (for now) so I can quote from it if need be.

Please help me because I really don't want another five or more years of sluggish, poorly performing computer use. I just want something that works! I'm not asking much; I'm not expecting a supercomputer to calculate the origins of the Universe, only something that won't crash and become painfully slow when there are more than five browser tabs open. I'm pretty sure I'm not using my PC for anything outside of the ordinary, and I've just finished using Mint after 6-months, which froze all the time, caused sluggish running, crashes, and corrupted an entire HDD.

My current setup consists of: EVGA GTX250 GPU; i7 CPU; Gigabyte X58 motherboard; 12 GB Kingston RAM.

Thanks for any help.

Pacificus

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:37:22 pm

The computer has also crashed a couple times following an extreme slowing of the cursor to full stop, which preceded the display (on the monitor) 'falling apart' - broken graphics all over the screen.

Uzi

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:50:19 pm

Pacificus,

Welcome. I too am a newbie having switched from Windows XP 2 weeks ago to Zorin 6.3 Core. Had a few issues too but the guys here work hard to help resolve them. My system is running sweet now & I will never return to Windows.

It sounds to me like you have a hardware issue not software but I will let the experts chime in there. What they will need to know though is what version of Zorin you loaded - Zorin 6 or 7? Did you load from DVD (burnt at the slowest speed) or USB drive? Are you running just Zorin or dual boot.

Help them by getting that info for them.

Good luck in getting sorted

Uzi.

Pacificus

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:19:08 am

Uzi wrote:Pacificus,

Welcome. I too am a newbie having switched from Windows XP 2 weeks ago to Zorin 6.3 Core. Had a few issues too but the guys here work hard to help resolve them. My system is running sweet now & I will never return to Windows.

It sounds to me like you have a hardware issue not software but I will let the experts chime in there. What they will need to know though is what version of Zorin you loaded - Zorin 6 or 7? Did you load from DVD (burnt at the slowest speed) or USB drive? Are you running just Zorin or dual boot.

Help them by getting that info for them.

Good luck in getting sorted

Uzi.

Many thanks.

I'm running Zorin 7, burned at regular speed (I didn't set the burner to slowest). It is dual boot with XP, but XP is for a different motherboard so currently is non-functional. I only had one HDD free and needed to to save data from an IDE drive before switching motherboards (The Gigabyte has no IDE inputs) and running Zorin.

Pacificus

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:29:39 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, and welcome to Zorin! Is this your board?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3870#ov

I have never been interested in 'overclocking' any system as it has the potential of not only crashing any system, but stressing components!

I am guessing you have an nVidia graphics, which might account for the blockiness.

1. Which version of Zorin are we talking about? 6.x or 7?

2. Is Zorin the only system on this rig? Do you have 1 or 2 hard drives.

3. Kingston memory many years ago was known for its poor reliability/quality. AData or Corsair would be better.

4. How did you install Zorin and did you try it in 'live' mode first before installing?

Thank you.

That is not the motherboard; this is the one I have:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3571#ov

I'm ready and willing to get a new GPU, and one that isn't nVidia (or EVGA). If you have any recommendations for low-mid-priced quiet GPUs that work flawlessly with Zorin 7, please let me know!

I do not overclock.

1. I am running Zorin 7

2. I currently only have one HDD connected (with non-functioning duel boot as mentioned in my previous post made directly prior to this one)

3. My previous motherboard (EVGA) used Corsair RAM, but I had constant problems with that computer as I wrote

4. I installed Zorin from live mode (booted from DVD).

My motherboard, complete with CPU and Kingston RAM, was recently returned to Gigabyte UK for testing. They assured me that all hardware was working properly. However, the GPU was not included in the test. I have always been suspicious of the GPU (I have no evidence, it's just a feeling), which replaced a previous EVGA graphics card under warranty.

I appreciate any help!

Wolfman

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:15:51 am

Hi,

1: Are you cutting the power by simply throwing a switch??, if you are; you can kiss any hard drive goodbye within a few starts of the PC!!. If you have to force a shutdown on a PC (Linux) and nothing else helps, hold the power button in for about 4 or 5 seconds which is basically called: "Soft Power Off". If you can open a terminal, type:

Code:
sudo poweroff

which will command the PC to shut down completely.

2: You said that you didn't burn the disk at the slowest speed possible, please read this advisoy:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

(I suggest you start again and re-burn the ISO as you may have 1000 little problems caused by a bad burn!!)

3: If you have an Nvidia graphics card, please see this link:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

4: Make sure your PC is up-to-date by running "DPKG", see this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Pacificus

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21:28 am

Thank you very much, Wolfman, for your reply and help. I am very grateful.

1) I have in the past often cut the power from the rear case switch or direct from the electricity power point. I'll try to avoid doing so in future! I have now tried (after the computer refused to switch-off) your power button suggestion and found that it works.

2-4) I see I have much to do! I'm going to have to get into the right frame of mind before re-installing everything and doing the other things you advise. The computer is working well enough (most of the time) for me to get a few things done, so after I've finished I'll get to work on putting the computer in order. It'll probably be a few weeks.

I find it bizarre that a disc burner will not burn the zeros and ones properly at full speed. If this really is the case (I don't doubt you) then it could explain the last decade of computer hell I have experienced!

Many thanks once again.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32:31 am

Hi,

glad to be of help, lots of people simply throw the power switch without knowing what damage they are causing!!. Burning disks at the slowest speed will save you lots of headaches in the future!!.

If I were you and you can afford it, I would install a brand new hard drive because the one you have may well be damaged and only suitable for using as a reserve drive for storage!!.

To check your drive for damage under Linux do the following:

start your PC in recovery mode (the 2nd option in the GRUB menu which says "Advanced options" and select "Recovery Mode") and then go to "the option "FSCK", this will check your hard drive for damage and repair it if it can!!.

I will mark this as solved and if you have any questions, fire away!.

Regards Wolfman :D