This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Messed up dock icons and design

Superarragon

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11:11 pm

Just recently this started happening, and I can't stand it. I don't know how this happened, but if anyone could help, thanks.
I have also taken a screenshot of it so you can see how it looks right now:

(The icons are half-off the screen and the entire dock is white)

Wolfman

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23:51 pm

Hi,

do you have an Nvidia graphics card?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Is your system fully up to date?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

and run "Dpkg" per the guide!.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Superarragon

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:05:53 pm

I tried what you said Wolfman, but it didn't work for me. I still get the white dock and messed up icons.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:39:40 am

Hi,

did you check your monitor settings?.

System Settings > Hardware > Displays and take a look there as well.

You could also check out the Nvidia settings manager to see if there is a problem there!!.

Superarragon

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:47:49 pm

I couldnt find anything useful in the display and nvidia settings, but I checked there before

Wolfman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:26:00 pm

Hi,

have you tried using different themes or did you install a theme from somewhere??.

Take a look at the guide, the section about AWN almost near the bottom:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Did you change the settings per the guide about Nvidia graphics cards in Compiz?.

Let us know.

Superarragon

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20:17 pm

I have not tried different themes, I read the AWN section in your thread, and I didn't see anything about Compiz in the Nvidia guide.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17:14 pm

What?, you didn't see this pic:

compiz.png
compiz.png (39.8 KiB)

from the guide??.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Superarragon

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:04:38 pm

Actually yes, I did see that and I followed the instructions for it.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:27:54 am

Hi,

what type of monitor do you have?, on most modern monitors; there is a reset button somewhere, try and locate it and utilize it and your problem will most likely go away assuming you have done everything else!. Look in the menu using the buttons which are normally somewhere near the bottom of the screen. Most modern monitors have an "Auto Reset Button"!.

Did you fully update?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Superarragon

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16:10 am

I have a small Dynex TV as a monitor, and yes, I did fully update. I also just looked around my monitor/TV and didn't find a reset button...

Wolfman

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:22:39 am

Hi,

on an old TV, there should be horizontal and vertical controls maybe on the back/front which you need to tweak, have a look and see if you can find them so you can scroll the screen up/down or left/right. There might be little holes so you would need a small screwdriver!!.

You can also try dropping the resolution of the screen down by one setting:

System Settings > Hardware > Display > Resolution:
Displays_018.jpg

Superarragon

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:21:43 pm

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I just backed up my most important files to my Windows drive, deleted all Zorin partitions, and reinstalled Zorin which fixed the dock, but I'm afraid it might come back. Thanks for trying to help, Wolfman!

Wolfman

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:33:22 am

Hi,

at least you solved the problem!!. :D

Maybe the reinstall loaded newer packages for your graphics card which weren't there before??.

I will mark this as solved but one final question, did you find the horizontal and vertical controls on the TV??.