This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System gets unresponsive after a while

rindi

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21:09 pm

I'm using Zorin 7 (64 bit) on an Asus 2-core laptop. The problem I'm having that after a while of usage the systems gets unresponsive (very slow reaction to mouse movements, constant HD activity etc). Sometimes the performance normalizes again for short times, then it starts again. Also after a long time it will logoff automatically although I have disabled all powersaving related options. I'm only using the system while connected to the mains, not on battery.

I first thought it had something to do with indexing starting on the disk, but I don't think that is enabled. The hardware itself is fine, as I've run the manufacturer diagnostics on the disk and also memtest, and it runs fine with the secondary OS's installed on the PC. Does anyone have any idea as to what the reason for this could be, and how to turn this "feature" off?

Wolfman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32:49 pm

Hi,

check out this link, it might be the answer you seek:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4820

Regards Wolfman :D

rindi

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:14:28 pm

Thanks, but it didn't help either, I still have the same issue.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:01:42 pm

hi,

did you try fully updating the system using the "DPKG" method?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

rindi

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:28:51 am

Yes, that didn't help, and I'm not really sure why that would help anyway.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:55:07 am

Next time you get this problem open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and run
Code:

See what program/feature is using all of your ram.

Also please post back the result of the following command
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -iA2 VGA

It may be GPU related.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:31:18 am

rindi wrote:Yes, that didn't help, and I'm not really sure why that would help anyway.

Hi,

the reason it would help is that there may be a problem with some package files and if there were updates for them, it may well solve the problem!!.

Have you powered your PC off by simply pressing the power switch?, have you run "FSCK" to check the hard drive in "Recovery Mode"? because if you did the former, you will most likely have a damaged hard drive!.

rindi

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:12:26 pm

The file-system is fine. Also had the same probelm with the older zorin version. I then installed the new version (deleted the partitions I used with zorin and created new ones for the new version), and the problem remained. Top doesn't help much, as when it starts the system won't take my commands until after the problem has decreased again.

The result of lspci is:

Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV610/M72-S [Mobility Radeon HD 2400] [1002:94c9]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1048] (rev b0)
04:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB360 AHCI Controller [197b:2360] (rev 02)

I've also tried another Ubuntu based OS on the same laptop (bodhi linux) and with that I have no such problems.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:29:26 pm

I see you have an ATI card (2400). Your problem may be created by increase in temps.
What drivers are you using? Open or proprietary ones? (I would have seen that if you have given the outcome of

To test your temps do the following:
Open terminal and install sensors.
Code:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
yes | sudo sensors-detect

Then run
Code:
watch -n1 sensors

and you will see live (every 1 second) the increase/decrease of your systems temps.

If you see that your temps are increasing significantly and you are using your open (radeon) drivers (and only if you are using the radeon drivers), I can tell you to try out a trick to see if you will get better temps.
In terminal write
Code:
sudo su
echo mid >  /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_device

After the above command, start using your PC as normal. See if you get any unresponsivess. If not, I can tell you how to make this "trick" permanent.

Wolfman

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:12:53 am

Hi,

just to ad to MV's comments, you said you ran Bodhi Linux on the same PC, there is no comparison between the 2 OS'es as Bodhi is built on LXDE while Zorin 7 is built on Gnome 3!!.

Have you considered Zorin Lite?.

rindi

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18:16 pm

The temps don't look bad, they usually hover at around 37 degrees. The problem is that when I am working on the system, the terminal is behind what I am running and so I can't see what's happening there, and at those times when I wasn't working on the system, it had logged myself off and so everything was closed, including the terminal. So I was never able to see the temps at the times the system slowed down.

Here is the other output:

Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV610/M72-S [Mobility Radeon HD 2400] [1002:94c9]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1048] (rev b0)
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] [8086:0083]

Wolfman

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:07:46 am

Hi,

what desktop are you using?, you can try installing the two main base packages for Gnome and KDE, this will install a lot of apps you will never use but I find it adds stability to the system:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome kde-full

I think I asked before but I will ask again, did you use a disk to install and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Have you tried running "FSCK" in recovery mode?.

rindi

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24:46 am

The current installation was done vie a USB stick. When I do use a CD/DVD, then it was always burnt at the lowest possible speed. I do that automatically always.

Anonymous

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:11:35 am

rindi > I want to know, and I'm sure the other Moderators would be curious as to what Make and Model Notebook you have, for this thread has been dragging on for over a month. This thread looks to easy for it to keep dragging for nothing. You never once have responded with know more than a few lines in relation to your problem, unlike other members that have left paragraphs full concerning their misery. I now seem to have a red light flashing about malicious intentions here my friend. Start being more direct to detail about your problem including the make and model in your next response to show some positive feedback. >>>> Lets show [ Problem Solved ] !!! <<<<

I have yet to find a late model Asus Notebook that couldn't run Zorin OS without any major problem that couldn't be resolved !!!!
Knowing the exact Make and Model will shed light on the whole situation !!!!

It seems that you have been around GNU/Linux for a long time ( 2005 ), that is one of the reasons why I am wondering and watching.

The experienced can sometimes become the inexperienced !!!!
Datek 1:10

rindi

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47:15 pm

It's an Asus Pro 31s (F3SR).

Anonymous

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57:54 pm

rindi wrote:It's an Asus Pro 31s (F3SR).

That's more like it.
I myself will look into your situation relating to hardware problems/fixes/recalls to your model directly with ASUS.
Process of Elimination !!!! :D :D

Anonymous

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:53:59 pm

My friend you have one of the best GNU/Linux friendly Notebooks on the market. The downfall is your graphics and Battery.

First Download the right driver if you haven't already > Version 13.1 last known supported ATI driver dated > July 23.2012

: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... x%20x86_64

Installation : Ctrl + Alt + T

: cd /home/username/Downloads

: sudo sh ati-driver-installer-10-3-x86.x86_64.run

Note:-if the filename is different, then change the name.

Note : It will take a few seconds then launch an installer.

Select the first option, then click next, then use all the reccomended options.

Your all finished

Reboot

And my friend from ASUS suggested to upgrade to the 3.9 kernel. He said that it has greatly improved the overall performance of the said Notebook in question.

As a last resort you can get along just fine within Zorin OS using the Nouveau Drivers.

You have to start from spuare one with this problem, we're not... at least I'm not going to assume you installed the correct drivers the first time around !!!!

Process of Elimination !!!! > " Is the only way "

There is no current graphics beta/driver out for download, and if your using any...your barking up the wrong tree !!!!
Version 13.1 / 2012 was the last good supported Linux driver for your Notebook

I think in reality there is to much of a time lapse between the 31.1 driver and Ubuntu 13.04/Zorin OS 7 for things to be real kosher !!!!
You in the end might have to bite the bullet and use just the Nouveau Diver or use the Notebook for Windows only !!!! :?: :?:

rindi

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09:41 am

I have in the meantime reinstalled the OS, I had tried installing KDE as meantioned earlier, and that had caused problems with the graphical setup (it turned off the backlight and only ran in degraded graphical mode).

But I think I have meanwhile found the cause of the issue. I have also installed the "Variety" wallpaper utility. It randomly downloads wallpapers from different sources and changes them. It looks as if when that utility is running, the system will have the issues I described. This can take hours to happen though, so it'll take time for me to find out if that really is the cause. Strangely this doesn't seem to happen on another PC running Zorin (but that is the previous version, not 7), so it could be a combination of the hardware and that utility. It also isn't something that only happens on Zorin 7, but on my asus laptop it also happened with the previous version, 6.4.

I haven't yet installed the ATI driver mentioned above. I need to wait until I'm sure the above tool is the problem.

rindi

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:12:38 am

Isn't the Nouveau driver for nvidia GPU's, or has that changed?

madvinegar

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27:18 am

Yes, nouveau is for Nvidia.

You have an ATI card so you will be either using radeon (the open source driver) or fglrx (the proprietary). Which of the two are you using?
Post back the result of the following command to check it out.
Code:

You said that the temps are quite low. Which temps? Are you sure you are seeing the GPU temps (or core temps) and not the HDD temp?
Could you please install lm-sensors and let me see the outcome of "sensors"?

Code:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
yes | sudo sensors-detect
sensors

rindi

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:07:36 am

It was the temp of the GPU. The problem was that when the unresponsivness started I wasn't able to see the current temps, as the terminal where the output was running in was covered by other windows on which I was working in at the time, or the system had logged me off, thus also closing any terminals that were running at the time. This means I can't see what the temps were at the time it got unresponsive.

Here's the output again:

Code:
compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV610/M72-S [Mobility Radeon HD 2400] [1002:94c9]

As I mentioned above, it looks as if the cause is the wallpaper changer I mentioned above, as I haven't had the issue when it wasn't running. But I will need more time to verify that since it can take hours for the system to run into the problem.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:14:01 pm

I think that the command output you are posting is of lspci -nn. (Am I correct?)
I want to see the result of the command
lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

rindi

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13:06 pm

Code:
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:15b2]
   Kernel driver in use: radeon

Wolfman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:49:16 pm

rindi wrote:
Code:
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:15b2]

Hi,

did you install any ATI drivers for your PC?, if you installed the "FGLRX" drivers; you should remove them and only use the onboard drivers!!.

If you want to remove "fglrx", do the following in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove fglrx

and restart and update once restarted!.

(I have an older ATI graphics card too and the fglrx drivers don't do it (the installed system) any favours!!)

madvinegar

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56:55 am

He is using the opensource drivers WM (radeon).

rindi wrote:
Code:

Rindi, can you also post back the result of the following command?
Code:
cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

Linx

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25:21 am

I had n issue where Zorin seemed to slow down, however after investigating the issue it turned out to be some crazy process i had to manually kill, I haven't had the issue but once or twice, and I think it has since been resolved with some updates. but it might be worth looking into.
run the command "top" to see what is running on the computer and if the first process shows it stays at 100%cpu, then that may be your cause. I would tell you to just kill the process like I did mine, however, it could crash the computer, I would suggest doing some research on the process and see what it is needed for, and if your sure it wont break anyhting then run "sudo kill -9 <PID>" to stop the process ...

Also you can try pressing <CTRL> + <ALT> + [F1], this should drop you into a terminal windows that most the time will still work ... I have to use this often as I like to tinker and often break my x server =]