This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Proprietary drivers for ATI cards 2xxxx - 4xxxx

madvinegar

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30:08 am

I remember wolfman told me that in Zorin 7 he could not see in the additional drivers the option to enable the proprietary (fglrx) drivers for his ATI Card.

The reason for that, if I am not mistaken, is that ATI has decided not to continue the linux support for ATI Cards series 2xxx - 4xxx.
The main problem is that the X-server that works with the latest fxlrx drivers is up to version 1.12.4. This version of X-server was included up to ubuntu 12.04 and 12.04.1.
From the ubuntu release 12.04.2, the x-server version changed, and considering also the stop of ATI's support, most linux users could not enable their proprietary drivers.

There is a developer, called Tomasz Makarewicz that developed a PPA which actually downgrades the x-server version back to 1.12.4 and so the proprietary drivers can be enabled in 12.04.2, 12.10 and 13.04 ubuntu releases.

In case you have installed zorin7 (or your Zorin6 has been updated to 12.04.2) you can try out the said ppa and enable the proprietary drivers. Ofcourse, use at your own risk.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy

Restart and check if all works ok.

In case you want to delete and unload the ppa
Code:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:makson96/fglrx

More info: https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx