This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 7 USB boot problems.

skarlitz

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:29:28 pm

So anyways, I was excited to finally see the release of the new Zorin OS 7 not too long ago, and I decided to download both the 32 bit ISO and the 64 bit ISO. Given the current state of my computer, it was rather needed at the moment, as I had a hard drive failure, and I'm stuck without a hard drive. My CD drive is malfunctioning so I am left with only the possibility of booting from a USB drive, but recently, that has failed me as well. I have confirmed that this is not a single-PC issue, as the created USB drive does not work correctly on any of my computers. I have tried making the USB drive with a number of tools, consisting of Linux Live (LILI) USB creator, Unetbootin, and Pen Drive Linux. None of them have worked. I have tried with and without persistence, I have tried FAT32 and NTFS, I have tried copying the files directly from the ISO and onto the USB, but that still does not work. However, I have noticed that with the USB creator softwares, the drive "boots", but it hangs on a SYSLINUX boot info, displaying the SYSLINUX copyright and version information. I'm using a 2GB drive that adequately fits the contents, with ~450 MB to spare.

Does anybody have a similar experience? Any advice, tips? Possible causes? I fear it may be a problem with ZOS 7, rather than my softwares/USB drive, as ZOS6 has worked before on a USB. I would rather not download ZOS6, as my connection is metered.

skarlitz

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:09:04 am

Yes, I've been depending on one of my other sticks lately for booting, but it recently broke. It may be that it is 4GB, but I fail to see how that's relevant. I can fit all files on the drive adequately. I know for the fact the PC can boot from USB. Also, the USB drive is the same exact model as the broken one, save for being 2 GB rather than 4 GB.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:37:16 am

Hi,

question:

did you format the USB drive to FAT32 before you created the bootable stick?, if you didn't, you may have other data still on the USB stick from a different OS and that is why you have a problem!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

skarlitz

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:22:04 am

Yes. It was formatted in FAT32. I formatted it multiple times in fact, all in a vain attempt to correct whatever mistake I may have made. I made especially sure not to quick-format it.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:48:35 pm

Hi,

did you try either "noacpi" or acpi=off" ???. If you can get it to boot to the main menu where you select what you want to do, press the "Tab" key and enter one of those commands which may work for you. Press return/enter after entering the command!.

aquabrium

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:01:02 pm

I agree w/ skarlitz because I'm experiencing the same problem in trying to install Zorin 5, 6, 7 from USB boot. I am totally sure the 16GB USB is working because I've formatted, erased and written other OS installers like Windows, Ubuntu and OS X that are booting correctly. Since Zorin is based on Ubuntu, I think this is the same boot problem I had to workaround: could not boot to install Ubuntu 12 or 13; instead found version 10 to install and upgraded incrementally all the way to 13 using system upgrades. Perhaps my laptop HP Envy 15T w/ Haswell system who originally came w/ Windows 8 has some software protection to prevent damage. Its BIOS is total hideaway of options w/ only a few limited configurations like legacy boot which is needed for booting from any other drives than original system drive.

aquabrium

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:25:25 pm

Alright: I found the solution on http://alexsleat.co.uk/2010/11/27/how-t ... -usb-boot/
First, not sure if Ubuntu's own Startup Disk Creator is needed to be used. But at last, try running this on the partition of the USB boot disk: sudo syslinux –directory /syslinux –install /dev/sdb1

Wolfman

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56:03 am

@skarlitz,

is your problem solved now??.