This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot load Zorin onto a power computer...

Sentar

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:14:22 am

I have been to the Paid support and they have NOT been able to help me and suggested I place the problem to the Forum.

Here is the problem....

NOTE I do NOT wish to have differing O/S in a multi boot.

I wish to load Zorin to a new HDD in the Removable drive bay as C, yet have the RAID drives as DATA drives only.

The problems I am having with installing Zorin 6 Ult on my new system are as follows…..

The Boot drive is normally the 480Gb SSD as C: in the removable drive slot, this is running Windows 7 PRO, and works fine.

I then change the drive for a formatted SATA 500Gb WD drive (remove the SDD drive) and it will install Windows 7 no problem to that drive as C:.

Now change the drive for another WD 500Gb a formatted and attempt to install Zorin 6 Ult and I get the initial Zorin screen asking me what I wish to do, and no matter if I choose to run the LIVE or to Install directly, all I get is a grey screen with the curser blinking upper left corner of the screen.

I have tried to install other Linux flavours after burning a DVD disk from a downloaded ISO file, Ubuntu 12.04, same result as Zorin
Fedora 17, same result as Zorin
Mint 14, same result as Zorin
Debian 6, same result as Zorin

I tried the noquiet, nosplash, nomodeset then hit enter NO go either after TAB at theZorin start screen, still same result.….

It would seem all Linux flavours have the same problem with my system.

I have installed Zorin 6 Ult on another computer with lesser resources and on-board Video, Zorin installs and works like a dream, I can’t understand why not on my new power system.

I do hope there is a resolve.

I am promoting Zorin on my WEB site http://processing2000.co.nz/Linux%20Inf ... fault.html

And wish to become more conversant with Zorin, to give my clients another option and some support.
Here is my systems configuration….

Carls New Computer System….

1 x Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 ATX Ivy Bridge Socket 1155
1 x Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz Socket 1155 Box Unlocked
1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer i30, CPU Cooler, 120mm, Direct-Touch Heatpipe
16 Gb Total G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800)
1 x COOLER MASTER HAF XM MID TOWER 200mm USB3.0 with add Fans
2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 64MB 1TB Set to mirror Raid 1 e: drive
1 x Corsair Force GS Series 3 480GB SSD with SandForce SF-2200 Series controllers and fast Toggle NAND SATA3 6Gb/s R/W: 555/525 MB/s (MLC) This drive is installed in the removable slots as c: drive
1 x Corsair HX-850 850W ATX Power Supply 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Cabling 6x 6+2 PCI-E 12x SATA 8x Molex
1 x Lite-on 24X SATA Black Dual DVDRW iHAS324 Retail drive d:
1 xSapphire HD 7850 DirectCU II 2GB DDR5 PCI-E 2 x DVI 1 x HDMI 1 x Displayport Video Card this card connects to two monitors
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM
Microsoft Office Professional Academic 2010 Retail Box
1 x External USB Card Reader
AVG Internet Security 3pc's x 2 years updates and AVG PCTuneup 3 PC's 2 years updates
2 x AOC e2350Sd 23" Full HD LED Monitor - Black 1920x1080 20M:1 running off the Asus Video card
1 x Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Combo
4 x Existing Seagate 250GB NQC ST3250310AS drives from old system these are running 2 as RIAD 1 mirrored 250Gb f: - and 2 x RAID 0 500gb g:
I am running the two screens through the Sapphire video card on the DVI ports.

I do not wish to dismantle the system and the re-install the components later.

I just wish to install Zorin 6 (have the beta of 7 but neither works) onto a HDD in the removable drive bay as c:

madvinegar

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45:35 am

Just a long shot.

Enter in bios settings (pressing F2 or Del). Go to "advance" tab >select the quick boot mode> and disable the option.
Save changes and try again.

Sentar

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:59:37 am

No it is the Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 ATX Ivy Bridge Socket 1155 but you may be on the right track I will try over the weekend THANKS

Wolfman

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:44:32 pm

Hi,

did you try either "noacpi" or acpi=off" ???.

Regards Wolfman :D

Sentar

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:54:01 pm

Today is Sunday New Zealand, and I will be devoting the afternoon to try all your suggestion one at a time.
I have printed out the pages and will be devoting this afternoon on this project.

Thanks to all that have posted replies.

Sentar

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:53:00 am

These suggestion did not work sorry, it looks like its a no go.
Have to working on a bog standard system works fine.
No what I was hoping for thanks for all your help.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:31:22 am

Hi,

one further thing, did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed??:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Sentar

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01:27 pm

I am using the original Zorin 6 Ult DVD I purchased, and then also tried with the new 7 ISO yes burnt at the slowest speed.

Not sure why but am reconciled that it will not or is not ready for new computer systems, with all the bells and whistles.

Do not understand why Zorin and other Linux flavors, have not been prepared for installation on a new high end computer system with out having to go through a fragmented process.

I will keep using Zorin on my other computer, keep attempting to get new releases on this system.

Regards Sentar (Carl)

Wolfman

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:56:42 am

Hi Carl,

have you tried doing the partitioning before you try the disk and clicking on the "Install now" option?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

It might be your CD drive that is knackered, have you tried a different OS or have you tried a USB install?:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/