This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] My Experiment With Zorin Lite Is Over

shkarst

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34:34 am

Dual boot installed it on this netbook, awhile ago, thinking that it would run better than Windows XP, since the Lite version is supposed to run on machines with lesser resources, and this netbooks 1G RAM and 900MHz processor should have been fine, but the slowness of Zorin Lite on this machine is maddening. So booted up onto the XP side and it runs nearly as smooth as XP on my desktop, but not AS smooth. Still has it quirks related to the slow processor and amount of RAM, but clearly better than Zorin.

So it's been fun folks but I have given up. Will however boot it up occasionally just to keep up the updates, till I have the nerve to go into Windows Disc Management to blow it away.

To the PPL, especially Wolfman that have helped on on problems, thank-you.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54:19 am

Hi shkarst,

thanks for the appreication!.

If it is running slow; start your PC in recovery mode and run "DPKG" per this guide using a "Network Cable Only!":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

When you installed, did you use a disk?, I assume you used a USB stick as it is a netbook, if you used a disk, did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?, see also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

I also created a Zorin Lite guide (still a work in progress!) in the meantime which may help you a little:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Run "DPKG" at least once to see if things improve anyway.

Regards Wolfman :D

shkarst

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16:31 pm

I did use a Disc, since I had bought an EX/USB CD/DVD ROM Drive, and not sure what, "DPKG," stands for Wolfman, but I have several times run all the items on the Recovery, except the one for, "GRUB (??), " and no difference. Also ran, "BleachBit," several times. That netbook just is not conducive to Zorin Lite. So for the most part I am pretty done, like I said. And I really do not see what doing all that with a, "Network cable," would make a difference, always being on our WiFi when using my Netbook, which works just fine on the XP side, but not without some quirks though, as I also did mentioned, since I do tend to like to multitask, and that 900MHz processor is stubborn. But XP does work way way better in comparison.

May be a moot point, since today I am heading over to the next county to Fry's Electronics, to hopefully pick up an Acer Chromebook, and was told that they honor another other merchant prices, including Amazon's, which is $40 less than Fry's price. And if in fact they do honor it, that Netbook will be retired, once I am satisfied that the Chromebook works out well. Then I will use MY NUKE/DELETE tool on the Netbooks HD>>LOL LOL :-).

Thanks again for all y'all's assistance.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55:05 am

Hi,

just to inform you about the "DPKG" thing using a network cable, what dpkg does is fully update the system in basically a clean room so to speak, whilst in recovery menu, you can use a WiFi connection to run dpkg but it gets complicated because you have to enter sets of parameters to get your WiFi running, whereas if you use a network cable, it is up and running as soon as you click on "Network" in the recovery menu and this makes things easy for all concerned!.

shkarst

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:57:13 pm

Thanks for that Wolfman, and for everyone's response in here, but could you tell me what DKGK stands for??? Maybe it would be obvious if I go back in there, but I did go buy my Acer Chromebook yesterday model C710-2487, and I now plan to retire that Netbook, and still plan to go into the XP side's DISC MANAGEMENT to blow the Linux partition away, then if needed use my, "ULTIMATE BOOT DISC," to repair the "MBR." for you see I am considering giving it to my Son's Step Son, and the Linux partition would probably just confuse him. So if I do that, I will go through and DELETE the additional browsers, and FAVORITES/ Bookmarks, etc, so that he can use the built in OS. But I am also thinking of the possibility of HIM giving it away, and someone that is sharp enough still bring out my DELETED personal info. So I may just wipe the HD, with THE BEST delete tool, my SLEDGEHAMMER>>LOL. I know there are programs to WIPE that HD, but I do not want to than have to reload the OS using the supplied Recovery disc since all those MS Updates since the day I bought it would have to be re-installed & I would not expect him to be able to do that. He barely gets his school work done, ______ off his parents :-). Thanks again for all y'all's assistance.

shkarst

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:02:57 pm

P.S. Incidentally, that Chromebook is a DREAM machine, nearly setting itself up in MINUTES. And I imagine anything that I may need can be found in the Chrome Store (Machine can not be downloaded into), even though this model has a 320 G HD, but that is just for local storage. It was so cool how once I signed in with its' Chrome Browser (Uses the Chrome OS), all my stuff was there, bookmark Bar, etc. for all the things I DO. And Fry's Electronics matched amazon's $219.99 price, which was $40, less than their own price.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:06:17 am

Hi,

here is the manpage about "DPKG":

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/luc ... pkg.1.html

Most of it is gobbledygook* for mere mortals but basically it is the package manager for Ubuntu based systems!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobbledygook

Have fun with the new PC.

shkarst

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:01:34 pm

Thank-you Wolfman. However shortly after I get off this GREAT Chromebook this morning (Trying something different instead of booting up the desktop in the family room), I plan to go into the retired netbook's XP side Disc Management and blow Linux to Kingdom Come, and hopefully not turning it into a brick, since I plan to give it away to a Step Geandson>>LOL. By the way, I do realize that this Chromebook's Chrome OS is also Linux based, so I will not be entirely Linux free :-)

shkarst

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:19:20 am

Not my experience at all. Chrome has been my #1 choice for quite sometime. Anyway, I GOT ER DONE. Zorin is HISTORY on that netbook, soon to be our Step GrandSons machine. Had a tad of a problem, after I deleted that partition in Windows DISC Management with the GRUB being messed up/gone, that I expected, but thought that my ver 3 of this Ultimate Boot CD had the MBR repair tool on it, but had no idea where, which part of the menu. So my computer friend, who was also the bass player in my last band, emailed me a ISO file to repair my MBR, Job done!!!

Wolfman

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:01:57 am

Hi shkarst,

as long as you have a functioning PC; is really all that matters. I have never tried a Chrome netbook so I can't judge on how good or bad it is!!.

With regard to the MBR, did you check out this thread?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4635

I always have a disk on hand for those small emergencies!!.

I will mark this as solved.

shkarst

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:08:01 pm

But Wolfman, doesn't that also rebuilt the Linux Boot/grub???? I had deleted the Linux partition

Wolfman

Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:58:45 pm

Hi,

No!, it will look for all partitions and other OS'es and if it only finds Windoze, it will only offer the MBR repair function, a very useful tool to keep on hand!!.

shkarst

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:52:23 pm

Thanks for that info Wolfman :-)

shkarst

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:34:28 pm

No reason for me to even read that. I have done it and LOVING it. As I said before, Linux is history here and that netbook has been given away. This Acer C710-2487 Chromebook is THE best machine of the three that I have run so far. Boots up from OFF in seconds, and does all I want & need to do so far.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47:52 pm

@Swarf,

I actually know the author of Muktware, I had a coffee at a mutual friends house and we are even FaceBook buddies!!, he does have a different angle on things than I do, I think it is just a question of time before Google get their behind in gear and support OO and LO fully!!.