This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 7 running very slow

sebsa

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:08:05 pm

So, i guess i should open a new topic for this one, correct me if i'm wrong please:

I'm running Zorin 7 on my HP compaq 6715s notebook, wich is pretty old, but Win7 ran great and without any Problems.
Now since i've istalled Zorin via an 32gb usb stick on wich i've installed the Zorin iso with "Lili Usb creator", it needs like 10 seconds to open any Programm or folder.
Since i have no idea why, i can't tell you much more i guess D: *sorry >_<*

Im pretty new to this stuff and one of you members *thanks to madvinegar for fixing my wireless* allready helped me out great with some other issues.

Now, i think Zorin isn't ment to be THAT slow, maybe just because i've just installed it hoping i'd have some more ram for programms then with win7.

Looking forward for some help, thanks in before,
Best regards Sebsa~

Wolfman

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:59:57 am

Hi,

did you set up enough Swap when you created the partitions in case you don't have enough RAM available?, it should be the same size (but not greater) as your RAM!!.

Did you do a full update?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Have you tried running "FSCK" in recovery mode??. (fsck = disk check under Linux!)

Did you install a 32 or 64 bit version of Zorin?.

Please answer those questions for us.

Regards Wolfman :D

sebsa

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:22:16 am

i'm allways going better when i know what you guys need, thanks c:

sooo:
did you set up enough Swap when you created the partitions

? like ?___? never set up anything D:

Did you do a full update?

Nope, but i will now, thanks c:

Have you tried running "FSCK" in recovery mode??

Whoot? Don't even know how to D:

Did you install a 32 or 64 bit version of Zorin?

64 bit, i guess i should reinstall a 32 bit since i just got 2gb of ram .__. Just noticed ...

So, thank you so far, support in this forum is amazing!
First of all i'll try all this stuff out, still happy if you got more ideas c: Thank you!

sebsa

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:18:49 pm

guess i can mark it as [SLOVED]

Tipp to everyone wondering why it's so slow, check your ram before installation.
Installed 64bit on my 2gb ram notebook, stupid me D:

32bit and it's supreme! Thanks for opening my eyes! :D

Wolfman

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37:09 pm

Hi,

if you manually set your own partitions, you should have created a swap partition, please see the partition guide about how to create your own partitions:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Your PC may have been on the border for a 64 Bit version, 32 Bit is still okay!!.

I will mark this as "solved" because "sloved" is too much of an unkind description for success!.

geraldocg

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57:44 pm

Downloaded Zorin-os-7-core32.iso and burned a dvd in the slowest speed with Nero. After burning Nero checked and found no errors.
Ran Zorin from 'livecd' and the mouse frooze.
Installed Zorin in a PC with:
gigabyte ga7vm400m-rz with onboard video via/s3g-km400m(32MB)
Athlon xp 2400+ 2GB memory
HD samsung sp0411n 20GB (!!) with XP SP2 installed and running ok.
During install no option was offered about swap file size. I accepted the suggested partition sizes of 10+7.8 (if i remember ok).
Zorin booted in about 2 min but runs in realy slow motion: NOTHING gets done or oppened in less than 40 sec.
After reading this post (in another PC) I rebboted, choose safe mode and ran fsck.
Booted again Zorin bus slow motion persists. Things work (could access internet, change background color, change to XP like), but very slowly.
XP still boots ok.
I not a Linux user and to try othen vertions installed Unbuntu in an ald old HD (40GB) in the same PC and it runs ok.
Thanks for any help.
Geraldo

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:57:59 am

geraldocg wrote:Downloaded Zorin-os-7-core32.iso and burned a dvd in the slowest speed with Nero. After burning Nero checked and found no errors.
Ran Zorin from 'livecd' and the mouse frooze.
Installed Zorin in a PC with:
gigabyte ga7vm400m-rz with onboard video via/s3g-km400m(32MB)
Athlon xp 2400+ 2GB memory
HD samsung sp0411n 20GB (!!) with XP SP2 installed and running ok.
During install no option was offered about swap file size. I accepted the suggested partition sizes of 10+7.8 (if i remember ok).
Zorin booted in about 2 min but runs in realy slow motion: NOTHING gets done or oppened in less than 40 sec.
After reading this post (in another PC) I rebboted, choose safe mode and ran fsck.
Booted again Zorin bus slow motion persists. Things work (could access internet, change background color, change to XP like), but very slowly.
XP still boots ok.
I not a Linux user and to try othen vertions installed Unbuntu in an ald old HD (40GB) in the same PC and it runs ok.
Thanks for any help.
Geraldo

Hi,

with a 32MB graphics card, you might need to use the Lite version of Zorin and that is why it is running slow, you can try running "DPKG" in recovery mode per this guide using a "Network Cable":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if it helps.

geraldocg

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:18:50 pm

Thanks for your help.
I am now downloading the lite version but before installing it will try Wolfman's suggestion.
I am surprised about the 32MB card limitation on Zorin as I use this same PC (with another HD) to run XP professional sp3 without any problem.
Tanks again
Geraldo

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:42:06 pm

Hi,

another question, did you use a disk to install and did you burn it at the slowest possible speed??:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

geraldocg

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:36:08 pm

Intalled the lite version and it is runing as fast as Ubuntu.
Solved
Thanks
Geraldo

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:46:06 am

Hi Geraldo,

good to hear, we can close this thread now!!.