This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dark Restart

Xstitcher

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:11:41 pm

Hello

I am gradually working through your post install guide Wolfman but every time the system restarts it goes back to very dark. I keep making it bright but how do I make it stay bright? It is making it very difficult to use. I also tried to make it better in the settings and am now stuck with "Ambience" which is black at the top. I don't think it said anything in that box at first but I can't delete it and get a lighter colour back.
The other oddities are Thunderbird has all my addresses but no folders or saved mail and Firefox has no option to put the tabs at the bottom and no script has lost all its "allowed" list.

Cheers Margaret (It's all dark in here!) :?:

Xstitcher

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:22:49 pm

Me again

I have installed "dconf-tools" and "gdebi". I tried the date and clock thing but I opened the dconf and just got stuff in the left panel, I clicked and double clicked on com but nothing happened. I also tried the gtk3theme thing as it mentioned dull grey. i would prefer that to the current black but that didn't work either.

I am sorry I can't follow your basic instructions I clearly need the idiot version.
Margaret

Anonymous

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:53:48 pm

Xstitcher wrote:Hello

I am gradually working through your post install guide Wolfman but every time the system restarts it goes back to very dark. I keep making it bright but how do I make it stay bright? It is making it very difficult to use. I also tried to make it better in the settings and am now stuck with "Ambience" which is black at the top. I don't think it said anything in that box at first but I can't delete it and get a lighter colour back.
The other oddities are Thunderbird has all my addresses but no folders or saved mail and Firefox has no option to put the tabs at the bottom and no script has lost all its "allowed" list.

Cheers Margaret (It's all dark in here!) :?:

Goto the Tweak Tool Menu > And change the menu to make it look like the Screenshot below.
Then log-out > Then log-in......Doing this will put the Desktop Theme back to it's default settings.

And you can look here to see what some of the Desktop Themes look like to get an idea of what can be done.

Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4870

Wolfman

Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50:27 pm

Hi,

open a terminal and paste the following commands; one after the other:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install shimmer-themes gnomishbeige-theme gnomishdark-theme gnomishgray-theme

and this will install several themes for you to choose from, as Datek1 has already pointed out, use the "Tweak Tool" (AKA: "Advanced Settings Tool") and change the theme with:

Tweak Tool > Theme > GTK+ theme and Window theme:
Advanced Settings_002.png

With regard to Dconf-Editor (AKA: dconf-tools), you must click on the + sign (Plus) before the list will open!!:
Configuration Editor_001.png

Regards Wolfman :D

Xstitcher

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:50:31 pm

Hello Wolfman and Datek

I did try your suggestions but I have concluded I am to old and to slow for this. I am truly sorry I have wasted your time (and mine). I tried all the "sudo's and it still came on dark. I returned the windows 8 craptop and now have a refurbished windows 7 one I am getting used to. I had no problem with my profiles and my tabs are in the right place. I had problems as it kept either snoozing or hibernating but I think I have stopped it doing that now, as I have copied my husbands settings.
I will try Linux again someday but it will have to be a version with all the bits you need included.

Bye Margaret

Anonymous

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:25:25 pm

Margaret you can get over the age issue " Ha Ha " , because my mother now uses Zorin OS and has come quite accustomed to the termial...that is with my direction over the phone/chat session. This lady didn't know what broadband was until a year ago. Quote : Mum is 78 years old, how's that grab ya !!!! :lol: :lol: You give up to fast, for you have a whole different setup now that runs Win7 that can have Zorin OS 7 installed ...configured as easy 1,2,3 !!

Whatever you do, don't give up....if my Mum can do it...anyone else can likewise.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:50:15 am

Hi,

open System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock and disable all the features with maybe the exception of "Dim Screen" which is causing your "darkness" problem possibily!. (Adjust it to the desired setting!)
Brightness and Lock_003.png
Brightness and Lock_003.png (24.78 KiB)

Regards Wolfman :D