This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Mounting Problem

hadimn

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10:26 pm

Hello everyone.
It's a noob talking here (so far) :) .

I own a Lenovo z480 laptop with Zorin OS7 64-bit free edition alongside Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. The problem is this that after I shut down my PC from Windows, I cannot mount NTFS partitions. Errors are as you can see below:
{for mounting Windows Partition}
Code:
Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/paradise/Windows 8: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/paradise/Windows 8"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

{for mounting other partition}
Code:
Error mounting /dev/sda5 at /media/paradise/Media and Data: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda5" "/media/paradise/Media and Data"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda5': Operation not permitted
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

They say Windows is Hibernated: No It only happens when I shut down via Windows8
Unclean File System: Not so sure. GParted, Acronis and Windows's Manager shows no problem with file system

This problem can be fixed if I just boot up Windows and restart and get into Zorin. But to go to windows and restart any time it happens, is really annoying. There wasn't any problem when I used Zorin OS6.2 64-bit alongside my present version of Windows 8 Pro x64 (I've jus upgraded my ZOrin and Win8 is intact!)

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13:31 am

Hi,

try using "Boot Repair", I recommend it for future use too.:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4635

Regards Wolfman :D

hadimn

Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:47:17 pm

Wolfman wrote:try using "Boot Repair", I recommend it for future use too.:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4635

Thanks for the reply wolfman.
But I don't have booting problem (otherwise I've got you wrong!)
Just mounting. It's just very unusual cause I didn't have such experience with Zorin OS 6.2.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52:48 pm

Hi,

there is a method in my madness, repair the Grub menu first!, then boot into Windows and run "CHDSK" and reboot again into Linux and see what happens!!.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/43 ... check.html

Try it first and see!!.

hadimn

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:34:09 pm

Thanks mate.
As I told you Grub and boot loader are all fine.
If I log in to windows and reboot, the problem gets fixed, but when I shut down from windows, next time zorin boots up, it cannot mount the mentioned partitions.

PS: I mentioned on the first post: I checked the partition with Windows Check Disk, Acronis Check Disk and Gparted (both via Hiren's Boot Disk and Zorin's pre installed version). No problems neither with the file system, nor with the partition itself. It's just seems to be lucked. I suspect its a bug with OS7.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:35:29 am

Hi,

boot into advanced options in linux recovery mode and fully update the system using "DPKG", see this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Once that is done, reboot your PC fully and see if there is still a problem with mounting the Win8 partitions in Linux, if there is, restart again in recovery mode and run "FSCK" to check the Linux file system too.

Did you use a disk for your install and did you burn it at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Does the problem exist since day one or did it suddenly just happen?.

Auldyin

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26:05 pm

Hi

it is what it says your Windose is hibernated (fast shutdown) not shutdown.
see this post ---- viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3997

Good Luck Auldyin

:| :| :| :| :| :|

Anonymous

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:32:09 pm

hadimn > The only way.. is have one or the other...you can't have both on the same drive.

You might have both Windows 8 and Zorin OS 7 on the same drive, but it will never work like it should.
The only way and that is using two separate drives only.

If you do make it work... you will be a global celebrity !!!! :D :D

Anonymous

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:05:36 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Drat! I missed my chance at becoming a global celebrity! I forgot to try that for the 2 days I had 8.1 64-bit pro preview running - before wiping it off and putting Zorin 7 back on! Oh, well, at least I am more happy now!

PS datek1 - I now have the DeLorean panel - I tried downloading the stormcloud one but it complained that it was not a proper panel - is this because my updates have not finished yet?

Delorean Dark is a great theme. Accept for some web pages that can be a pain when trying to highlight a word or group of words.

I seriously doubt it... that anyone will become a global celebrity anytime soon.
Relative to running Windows 8 and Zorin OS on the same drive.

protocol77

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:17:09 pm

not sure if you need this anymore but i had a similar problem and after searching i found a solution (at least for me) on the ubuntu forums

open terminal and type

sudo ntfsfix --clear-dirty /dev/sda1

(replacing the mount with correct one instead of eg. sda1)

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:44:22 pm

Usually, ntfs partitions won't mount if the Windows side of the machine was not shut down correctly - I discovered this once when Windows froze, leaving me to resort to the 'soft-off' option - holding the power button in for 4 seconds. When I booted into my then GNU/Linux I could not mount the ntfs drives - you may also need to make sure 'ntfs3g' is installed.

milon_bd

Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:39:33 am

During installation I have formatted C drive which was contained win8. now I cant restart to win8 and can't get access to my other drive from zorin
here is my problem statement:
"Error mounting /dev/sda6 at /media/din/songs: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda6" "/media/din/songs"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda6': Operation not permitted
read-only with the 'ro' mount option."

How to fix it?