This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Record from multi channels soundcard

doctordj

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:19:40 pm

I have installed version 4.2 Zorin OS on my machine.

I use this version is that it was compatible with the program Lush Lisp. Versions 32 and 64 of Zorin 6 did not work with this program due to incompatibility of Lush.

I need to use soundcards with support for multi-channel input and output.

I own ESI Maya 44 USB anda ESI U46DJ soundcards. These soundcards have 4 inputs and 4 outputs.

I've installed the ALSA drivers and with support from Zorin the two soundcards worked on my OS.

I used the Audacity program to test recording on 4 channels. The settings for recording / playback are:

ESI U46DJ:
Driver: ALSA
Output: u46mk2_playback
Input: u46mk2_capture_mic0
Channels: 4

MAYA 44 USB
Driver: ALSA
Output: maya44_playback
Input: maya44_capture_mic0
Channels: 4

Now I need to record only 3 channels (or 4 channels and then only use 3 channels) via command line in Linux.

I'm using the REC (SOX) command as follows:

rec -q -c 4 -t wav -r 44100 tmp.wav trim 0 2

But I can not record 4 channels. I can not make a default setting via control panel sound linux. There is no option to set the number of channels to be recorded.

Only a single channel is recorded. And the data of this channel is reproduced in the other 3. For recording 3 channels only the R and L channels are recorded and the third channel is mute (rec -q -c 3 -t wav -r 44100 tmp.wav trim 0 2)

I request some information on how to make this recording via command line correctly. Or is there some other program I need to install in order to make this recording.

Thanks for help.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53:14 am

Hi,

further to Swarfs suggestion, try out the "Pulse Audio Manager" (paman), see the sound section in the post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D