This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Problem shutting down the Zorin 7 Core live system

Martinbr

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20:40 pm

Hi everyone!

I've just tried the Zorin 7 Core live system but had a problem shutting it down. After selecting "Shutdown" from the menu on the bottom right of the screen, the computer obviously shut down and the live DVD was ejected. So far, so good. But then, nothing else happened. The screen stayed black and the computer neither turned off nor rebooted the installed Windows XP, so I had to use the power switch after a while.

What could be the cause of this problem, and how could it be solved?

TIA for your help!
Martin

madvinegar

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:06:10 pm

As you said it is not a proper installation, but just a live environment. So it may work well in a proper install.

However, if you want to try something out, try this:

Open terminal (ctrl+Alt+T) and give the command
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

find the line that says
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and change it to:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=force quiet splash"

Save, exit, and then in terminal write
Code:
sudo update-grub

Then test if you shutdown properly.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:21:09 am

Hi,

it is a small bug, I think it may be related to Nvidia as I have noticed it too.

When shutting down, the screen will remain blank and what you cannot see is the message on the screen "Remove disk and close tray if any and press ENTER", the disk tray should have opened and you should have been able to remove the disk and close the tray, all you need to do is to press the "Enter" key!.

If you must use the power switch, make sure you press and hold it for at least 4 - 5 seconds!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Martinbr

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:54:52 am

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Yes, I do use an Nvidia card, so I suppose that this is the cause.

Does this bug only concern the live DVD, or have you experienced anything similar with a proper installation?

Regards,
Martin

Martinbr

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:06:07 pm

Hi!

Today I tried both "Shut down ..." and "Restart ..." again, and to my surprise, everything worked as it should (no black screen)!

@Wolfman: Did you always had this issue with the live DVD or only occasionally?

Regads,
Martin

Wolfman

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:11:25 am

Hi Martin,

I only noticed it on Zorin 7, none of the other versions of Zorin had this problem as far as I could see, I did report it to the devs, it must have slipped by them!!.

I will mark this as solved!:

Regards Wolfman :D