This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Certain Observations & General Help

nrd80v

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42:23 pm

Hi
Thanks for making a nice OS. I love your OS.

About Me:
I am V. Narayanan, Chartered Accountant residing at Chennai
I am interested in Linux & BSD Operating Systems and as an end user installed and tested 50+ OS

I some how like Fedora & Sabayon than any other Linux
Recently when I purchased Toshibha and ASUS, I find that Manjaro & Zorin fitted well into the machines respectively
Thus for me these 4 Linux are Great and I admire them.

Certain Observations
1) Desktop Environment
I enjopy the Zorin OS Looks, yet I feel great working on proper Gnome Environment
I am finding that Gnome Extensions and some desktop customising applications like CREBS are not working with Zorin
Though it does not hamper my system functionality, I feel some sadness

2) Upgrade
Zorin 6 was based on Ubuntu 12,04 LTS, I felt like upgrading it to Zorin 7 which is based on Ubuntu 13.04
I used the terminal command do-release-upgrade and found that instead of becoming Zorin 7; the system has become Ubuntu 13.04
This does not hampered my functionality, however it has created some problems like -
a) Duplicating some 4 or 5 repos
b) Not able to edit software sources any more
c) Not able to install further applications (As such I have all the applications I needed and hence I need not install any application; but I simply attempted to install claws mail to test whether thunderbird can be imported & found this problem)

3) Virtual Box
I am not able to install VB Guest Additions and use the USB and CD of the Host Machine inside Virtual Box

Suggestion
Terminal Based Upgrade Option shall have to be available for Zorin
Ubuntu is over-powering Zorin unlike Mint or BOSS

Yours
VN

Wolfman

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19:59 am

Hi VN,

if you want the full functions of Gnome then you should use a full Gnome based system as Zorin is not a full blown Gnome based OS, you should be able to edit your repositories no problem, please advise what steps you took so we can help you further there.

See these guides about updating and post installation:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

In the update guide are instructions for changing your software sources download location, did you make any changes there?.

"Claws" is in the repo's and shouldn't be a problem installing it!!, you can also download from here if the need arises!:

http://pkgs.org/

Regards Wolfman :D

nrd80v

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38:49 pm

Dear All
Thanks for the reply. I have resolved the problems I faced for few days.
Kindly note about what I did.

1) Upgrade Issue
Yes, we can't upgrade Zorin via terminal, Fresh Installation is required. However, unknowingly I attempted with terminal commands and Zorin has become Ubuntu Completely.

Due to Zorin Becoming Ubuntu; I had certain issues. I logged in-to the Ubuntu Desktop Environment and cleared them by editing the repositories
This made the system completely functional.

Now I am able to install and uninstall applications and work seamlessly with the system.

2) Virtual Box Issue
I have fixed up the problem. I downloaded the .deb file and installed it from the VB Website.
Now it is working well

3) Desktop Environment
Now I have proper
a) Gnome Desktop Environment, (Full-packed DE)
b) Ubuntu Unity,
c) Pantheon Desktop,
d) Cairo Dock's Mac Like Desktop Environment and
e) Zorin's Desktop Environment.
All the DE's are working well and I can now choose them easily.

I have extra two desktop environments by the name Gnome Fallback DE, which I am not able to remove.

Now, I am happy and my system is working well

Suggestion
Zorin OS may think of incorporating terminal upgrade commands also.
This would stop confusing Ubuntu with Zorin

Yours
VN