This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What one do I get???

DanielGolden

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39:34 am

I am looking into the Zorin OS and thought i had it all figured out. OS 7. Then i noticed that there is an educational version as well. then to complicate things further i noticed a lte one. what are the differances between the three and what does lte mean. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :D

DanielGolden

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54:48 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. does no more support mean that it will no longer have updates, similar to xp right now, or will it become usless and unavailable? Does the ecucational one have all the same downloads available? and if i get the 6.something that you mentioned will that lack ANYTHING that the 7 has available or will everything still be there? thank you again for your help.

Wolfman

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:09:06 am

Hi,

to give you an idea of the support lifecycle of the Ubuntu based distro's, take a look here.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Bear in mind that Zorin is an Ubuntu based OS and as such; is subject to support provided by Ubuntu (Canonical).

Regards Wolfman :D

Anonymous

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50:11 pm

Zorin OS 7 core is the one you want try on the first round. Then if that doesn't work for ya, then work your way down to the Zorin OS 7 Lite. Don't worry about life cycles.. specially when it comes to GNU/Linux, for they change things as often as a mother changes the babies diapers !! :lol: :lol:

You just need to keep all the important stuff for the long hall on a separate partition. And copy all the immediate needs such as music > videos > documents > ect. that can be wiped for clean install on the next go around.
When Zorin OS 8 comes about, all you have to do is a clean install of the next version of Zorin OS on it's dedicated partition and add whatever over from the other long-term storage > partition.

I learned to quit worrying about the word ( LTS ), because these days it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.