This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems, problems, problems... Will they ever get it right?

AlliedForces

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54:50 pm

I am trying this OS once again and ONCE AGAIN I am having problems!!

I was actually doing ok up until today's update. Now I am easily able to crash the system by doing little to nothing!

What happened to the package mgr store?? Now when I use synaptic and try to download Amarok, it crashes and
cannot do anything again until I re-boot.

What are these programmers doing??

Another thing... Rhythm Box, Clementine and Audacious do not recognize my dvd player when I place a disc in it.
HUH??

EDIT: I finally got Amarok installed and it too is a piece of worthless S##T and constantly crashes!
wow...
:shock:

2nd Edit... Wow again... I can't do much of anything anymore. The system crashes every 5 minutes now!
DAM MORONIC PROGRAMMERS!!! I care LESS anymore and am simply going back to windows.
At least I can get things DONE there!!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:02:14 pm

Hi AF,

Amarok has bugs and you are advised to use the dev version:

http://amarok.kde.org/

As for your other problems, you need to be more specific as to exactly what you are doing, i don't have any of the problems you are having (had a problem with Amarok but downloaded the dev version!) and I am running Zorin 7 on two rigs!!.

How old is your hard drive and have you deleted it completely as Swarf has asked or did you have things left on it from previous installs??. Did you run "FSCK" in recovery mode to check the state of the hard drive?.

Regards Wolfman :D

Linx

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37:45 am

If everything is unstable, Then it likely isn't an issue with the OS, but possibily the hardware, I know I had an issue for a long time with my computer randomly crashing, but it turned out to be the BIOS was buggy and didn't properly support my ram, and anytime I would access RAM in the higher register it would cause my system to crash. This had nothing at all to do with the OS I was running on the computer, as I tried windows and linux. Windows crashed it WAY more often, but it was also much easier to get into the higher memory registers (gaming, and windows being ... windows.)

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:40:56 am

Agree with you on that one Linx - I am coming to the conclusion the Hitachi DeathStar HD is the issue around things slowing down - one of the bug bears I have in case there is a process going on causing the issue I cannot see it as once the 'unfreeze' occurs (Zorin 6) then whatever the issue was has stopped or reduced its usage. :D