This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Can't Install Zorin OS Core 7 with my USB

KoolWhip

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:43:45 pm

I've searched all around Google, and couldn't find an answer to help me with my problem, so I thought I'd come here. I downloaded Zorin OS Core 7 from the Zorin OS website. I used Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi) to make the USB bootable. I booted from the USB, and it loaded it without any problems. Then the Zorin OS splash screen showed up, and showed for a few seconds. After that, it abruptly went to a command line with this error:
I've tryed redoing the ISO several times, but it does this every time. I know for sure it's not a problem with the USB or ISO because the ISO was checked, and I'd recently used the USB to install Ubuntu 13.04.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:23:36 pm

Hi,

try booting the USB stick and as soon as you see the Zorin boot menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" and see if that helps.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card per chance?.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:55:37 am

Hi,

I also forgot to ask, did you completely format the USB stick before you burnt the ISO file to it?, if you had other files from different versions of Linux on it, it might cause problems if you didn't format it to FAT32 first!!. (Even if the USB bootable disk creator tells you it will overwrite files; it is best to format it first anyway!!)

KoolWhip

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04:52 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

try booting the USB stick and as soon as you see the Zorin boot menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" and see if that helps.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card per chance?.

I have an Intel Graphics HD 2000 series graphics card. I have run Zorin OS 7 with no problems before.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32:48 am

Maybe your USB stick needs to be better formated.
Open up disk utility, find the USB stick and select to format it but choose the "SLOW" format (not quick format).
Then use unebootin (or Lili) and create the live USB, and try again.

KoolWhip

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:42:09 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Could we wind back a little please?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4350

Image Image Image
swarfendor437 wrote:Lastly:

1. Where did you download from?

I downloaded from the USA (HostingXtreme) mirror on the Zorin OS website.
swarfendor437 wrote:2. Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso before creating the image (if using Windows then this little utility: WinMD5free from http://winmd5.com

I used WinMD5free and it said they didn't match. Screenshot below.
swarfendor437 wrote:3. Try Unetbootin or Windows USB Boot Loader as alternatives to LiLi.

I've already tried Unetbootin and Universal USB Installer.

KoolWhip

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43:27 am

madvinegar wrote:Maybe your USB stick needs to be better formated.
Open up disk utility, find the USB stick and select to format it but choose the "SLOW" format (not quick format).
Then use unebootin (or Lili) and create the live USB, and try again.

I've tried that also. Didn't work. But I believe it's a damaged ISO file because the md5sums didn't match.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23:40 am

KoolWhip wrote:I've tried that also. Didn't work. But I believe it's a damaged ISO file because the md5sums didn't match.

I think we found the source of evil... :lol:

KoolWhip

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26:31 pm

madvinegar wrote:
KoolWhip wrote:I've tried that also. Didn't work. But I believe it's a damaged ISO file because the md5sums didn't match.

I think we found the source of evil... :lol:

Okay, now how do I set this as solved?

madvinegar

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:39:41 pm

Is it actually solved? Have you downloaded again the iso and tried it?
If yes, you can just edit the title of your first post, adding the word "[SOLVED]" in front.

KoolWhip

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:37:25 pm

madvinegar wrote:Is it actually solved? Have you downloaded again the iso and tried it?
If yes, you can just edit the title of your first post, adding the word "[SOLVED]" in front.

Well, it didn't work. I re-downloaded the ISO, and checked the md5sums and they matched. But still, it won't get past the splash screen without that error. Now, I'm wondering if it's my flash drive.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54:11 pm

KoolWhip wrote:
madvinegar wrote:Is it actually solved? Have you downloaded again the iso and tried it?

Well, it didn't work. I re-downloaded the ISO, and checked the md5sums and they matched. But still, it won't get past the splash screen without that error. Now, I'm wondering if it's my flash drive.

Hi,

you need to format the USB completely (FAT32) before you copy an ISO file to it as MV pointed out, it might be that you have some other files left on the drive causing a problem!.

KoolWhip

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23:30 am

Wolfman wrote:
KoolWhip wrote:

Hi,

you need to format the USB completely (FAT32) before you copy an ISO file to it as MV pointed out, it might be that you have some other files left on the drive causing a problem!.

I have restored it as FAT32 every time I've tried to put Zorin OS on it.

KoolWhip

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25:36 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Just thought I would add that I am not aware of HostingExtreme being an official mirror of Zorin!

Please choose as follows:

1. DOWNLOAD - from 1 of the following sites:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/zorin/

http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/zorin/

ftp://ftp.aarnet.edu.au/pub/zorin/

http://distro.ibiblio.org/zorin/ <- mirror of last resort as you cannot resume downloads from this mirror if your internet connection drops during download (speaking from personal experience!)

I downloaded a non-corrupted ISO already, since the md5sums match.

madvinegar

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53:06 am

Try with another flash drive, (or with a DVD) just to rull out as well the posibility that your flash drive has a problem.

KoolWhip

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:55:25 am

madvinegar wrote:Try with another flash drive, (or with a DVD) just to rule out as well the possibility that your flash drive has a problem.

I fixed the problem by using a different flash drive, and it worked! So it was the other USB's fault. Now I have my Zorin OS back.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27:21 am

Hi,

good for you, a lesson for us all I suppose!.