This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Networking

Jetlimaster

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16:32 pm

Hello guys . Finally seam all working well on mine zorin lite 7 exept mine network :=( Im not any advanced use when to comes to linux but other distros like ubuntu and the zorin ultimate im used before had np to see mine Synology server and stream fron it . It was np mount the disks ( left click mount ) Ubuntu if im correct and other distros picked upp just fine. Zorin lite have same realy problems seam like. After a lagging connect i can se Disktation and Windows network. That far i can go it says not mounted and i cand fine any option where to mount. Im only findet same hardly understand info's about sudo bla bla..have no clue as a new user why i cant just browse the dam thingy :=) ofc maybe zorin lite is banted down so the function not there ? If zorin core have more easy on this way i can install tested on the live cd and only was 100 mb more minne usage and little slower..but it is okey for me if is more easy to use. Can you guys help me in the right direction what to do ? prefer if same program or auto mount program or simuler ..im really horrible whit the konsol :=)

Regards jetlimaster

Wolfman

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:41:20 am

Hi jetlimaster,

take a look here at the section about "Accessing sub folders in "File Manager" (your home folder)":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

You should be able to access the other partitions from the home folder by simply clicking on them!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Jetlimaster

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:34:15 pm

Thx for the fast answer but think im explained it badly. i can see 2 icon when im browsing for Network under the menu GO
..one is DiskStation the other is Windows Network. That far i can go.
if im try to open or click on them im getting the following error message . (The specified location is not mounted ) And im have no clue how to mount them. Like im wrote other distros like auto mounted them or im just need left click and chose mount or something simuler :=) Im realy sry if im sound like an idiot..but least IM a linux one :=))
So how i can mount them so i can browse and stream mine films -..

Jetlimaster

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:21:36 pm

why i need install samba ? i dont wanna runn a server at all . heck i dont even interested for windows or other computers to access files on zorin lite. it is other way around .. im wanna access mine files on mine NAS which is correctly figured.
Im gonna try and install samba se if is helps.

Jetlimaster

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19:32 pm

Just for an update. Installed samba but its done nothing this is the problem im getting.( picture 1 )
And just for testing . installed Ubuntu 13.04 32x on an usb. only thing im needed to do like always install the restricted extras for codex ,
After that all worked well. ofc is used like 450 mb minne 3x times more as Zorin lite.Dunno what the zorin team done but seams the networking messed upp like crazy. I dont like ubuntu. realy dont want to use but most say the network was flow like a dream detecting the NAS and connecting whiout easy np at all sending a sec picture just to show it. Ayway i can fix it easy ?
Im trying to upload the ubuntu picture but its refuses to save ? wrong format dinni but im have on mine hd need figure out whats is wrong.

Jetlimaster

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37:43 pm

Solved the picture. You can see me streaming from same computer as NP at all.

Jetlimaster

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:23:02 pm

Sry guys but it is like Chinese for me. Just don't get it.it is year 2013 and just for browse a normal windows network you need be like a hacker whit terminal and c*** ? Im maybe was accepting this couple years ago when prob most distros was this way but not year 2013. And this distro so called user friendly for people to emigrate fron windows ? Maybe a lesson here to learn fron the ubuntu :=))

Jetlimaster

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:38:24 am

Just for the info for you guys. Im downloaded Zorin core 7 32x to se if the network working out of the box as it was on ubuntu .
And hell YEH ALL WORKING PERFECT. So im installed instead zorin lite .
1 small problem happened maybe god to now for you guys. Live cd all was looking god. After install 1st start got a flickering screen and a stopp. rebooted wen for the zorin advanced- fail safe grafik.
then im installed the nvidia drivers. After that np at all
The sytem is like a dream..MANY thx for this awesome distro !!

Wolfman

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:43:09 am

Hi,

glad to hear it, make sure you read this if you have Nvidia graphics:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Also, check your software settings so you can update fully:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

See also the post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D