This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] how to reinstall zorin desktop?

kenn

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24:16 pm

Hi,
I installed Zorin OS 7 on the first day it released. Today I tried to use other destop xmonad , but I didn't log in. When I rebooted nothing happened after hours of struggling I managed to login someway. I removed some desktop environments such as mate and cinnamon. And I autoremove some java stuff. But now I can not log in to Zorin Desktop, I can only login to Zorin fallback session. How can I repair my system? I checked out synaptic but I can't see zorin desktop candidate.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:30:04 pm

Hi,

similar to Swarf's suggestion is to try running "DPKG" in recovery mode, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

While in recovery mode; you can also re-install any DE as long as you know the package name: Boot into recovery mode and select "Network" using a cable connection only, then select "Root" and type the install command like so:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

Then restart your PC normally!.

(The package name "gnome" is only an example!)

Regards Wolfman :D

kenn

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08:25 pm

Thank you guys for being so kind as to have answered. I tried hard to fix it, at last I noticed that it's partially related to a Nautilus bug in /usr/share/xsessions. How? When you copy and paste a .desktop extention file in the same directory you get two files with the same name. Of course it's illegal at POSIX. Indeed you ll see you have ttwo diffrent named files one of them contains "copy" tag. You can check it out with ls command. Please be careful otherwise you can get locked out while logging in

Wolfman

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10:21 am

Hi Kenn,

can we mark this as solved then??.

I have an Nvidia graphics card and POSIX seems to want to install when doing anything related to Wine even if it won't work or isn't needed!.

Regards Wolfman :D

kenn

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:11:38 am

Thanks Wolfman. we can mark it as solved.