This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to install "show desktop" icon

ironhand41

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:18:27 pm

I'd like to add a "show desktop" icon at the bottom of the screen, much like Win 7 has. I've read numerous posts about this issue but nothing I try seems to work on Zorin. I've checked the "show desktop" box in compizconfig, but nothing shows up on the desktop (assuming I'm looking in the right place). Anyone had any luck with this?

Cheers,

Richard

(Ubuntu) Zorin-OS 6 64bit, (precise): Kernel: 3.2.0-48
SystemMax All-in-one PC; Model: SYX-GB-AEBN-SI
Genuine Intel® CPU i3-2120 @ 3.30 GHzx4:Ram 8 GiB
Resolution 1366x768.
Wired Verizon Fios Connection: 1000 Mb/s

ironhand41

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47:23 pm

Well, it worked, sorta. I now have a "show desktop" icon right where I want it (lower right corner, like winders 7). But when I try to re-maximize open programs that have been minimized to the bottom bar, nothing happens. When clicked, it appears that the minimized icons of the open programs zoom off to the upper right corner of my screen and disappear! The right-click context menu has no option that helps either. I've probably asked for this odd behavior by tinkering with screen settings of which I have no idea how to undo. In winders I always shut off all these cutsie visual effects and would do so in Zorin if I knew how. But thanks. (BTW, I have Zorin 6 installed).

ironhand41

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51:54 pm

Opps. The solution by swarfendor437 was perfect. The odd behavior of minimized programs (zooming off the screen) after installing the "show desktop" icon was due to the fact that these programs were minimized BEFORE I installed the "show desktop" icon. The "show icon" program, once installed, probably didn't know these previously minimized programs were there. Once I rebooted, everything worked as it should. Thanks again swarfendor437. Consider this thread "solved!" Cheers, Richard