This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Shiny switcher problem

johnmurf

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:20:48 pm

While learing Zorin OS i clicked on shiny switcher to see what it did. I do not like it but now I can not get rid of it. I could not find a way to make it go away so I thought I would try to remove it using Synaptic package manager. It did not work as I had hoped and now I have two sad faces in the panel at the bottom of the screen. if I place the mouse pointer over them, the message 'Whoops! The applet crashed. Click to restart it.' Clicking it does not restart it because it has been removed and I can find no way to reinstal it. Is there any way to get rid of these sad faces?
I would post a screenshot, but I can not work out how to do that, Any help with posting screenshots would also be appreciated.
Thanks

Wolfman

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:23:02 pm

Hi,

take a look here near the bottom:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

johnmurf

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56:44 pm

Hi Wolfman, I read that topic and followed the steps and now the two sad faces are gone, but now there is an arrowhead at each end of the panel and if I place the mouse pointer on these then the panel scrolls across the screen. Also the name of a program that is running now takes up 1/3 of the panel. Any other programs that are running can only be seen on the panel if I scroll it.
What have I done wrong to cause this?

johnmurf

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04:14 pm

Hi Swarfendor, I checked out the dock preferences and I have made a mental note for the next time I stuff something up. I tried dragging and icon of something else to see how it works. How does one repair an installation?

johnmurf

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:35:02 pm

Well I managed to get rid of the running programs taking up so much space. It was an applet called 'Window List'. When I dragged it from the Map of my panel to the selection window, the panel went back to normal. Thats one more thing I have learnt.
Thanks wolfman and swarfendor, your quick responses were greatly appreciated.