This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trying to understand updating

KarterJK

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03:11 pm

Hi to all,
I am trying to get my head around the larger picture, okay to start Zorin 7 (lets stay with this version), is somewhat of an off-shoot of Ubuntu 13.04, is that correct?
if so,
when I update my software, does it pull versions for Ubuntu 13.04 or does Zorin have its own respository that it pulls from? I am just a little confused on how it all works. Plus, which builds do I want daily or other?

I can almost understand the basic concepts of the individual parts of linux, but start getting confused as to, who, where and what I can be used with each of the different distro's.

I am also a little confused by the different docks, Dockey, Cairo and Awn... If I understand correctly, you use Awn and Dockey for the most part, or is Awn (GnoMenu)?

Wolfman

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:45:26 am

Hi,

take a look here about updating:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You might want to look at the post install guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

Linx

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31:54 am

This link may help out.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... meline.svg

It shows what distro are based off of what. A general rule of thumb is, if you follow the line back to the left you can install software for that distro on your distro. For example. Zorin OS is branched off of Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is branched off of Debian. SO, you can almost always install Ubuntu or Debian software on Zorin, and you can almost always install Debian software on Ubuntu. (As far as I know there isn't any software that does not work this way, but I'm sure there is one somewhere I have never heard of)