This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Can't find an installed program

johnmurf

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:52:53 pm

Hi all,
I recently installed a newsgroup reading program called 'TRN' via Synaptic. I cannot find where it is or how to run this program. Is there a way to find out where they are placed when installed. I have looked everywhere but can't find it. Synaptic shows it as being installed. I looked in usr/share/applications but it's not there nor in the downloads folder. Is there a secret that I have not yet discovered in find these programs? :?

Wolfman

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:02:22 pm

Hi John,

did you read this:

trn is the most widely-used newsreader on USENET - even to the point of
being a de-facto standard. It has a powerful full screen text mode user
interface, where most actions are available at the press of a single key.
It is highly configurable.

This version of trn reads news from a news server via NNTP (the Network
News Transfer Protocol). You must have a news server available - large
sites usually provide a site-wide server.

If you install a news server on your system (either containing just local
newsgroups or with a partial or full USENET feed) you can configure trn to
access it.

Do you have a news server available?.

If you open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo trn

and enter your password, the app will start but I don't know how to use it!!.

wolfman@fred:~$ sudo trn
[sudo] password for wolfman:
*** NEWS NEWS ***

Welcome to trn 3.6, which continues on the feature trail, adding support
for slow net connections, and squashing some bugs. Trn is "threaded read
news", based on rn.

You can type 'h' at any prompt to display a summary of the commands that
are available.

This message will not be displayed again unless it is updated with new
information.

Wayne Davison <davison@borland.com>

Caught a SIGSEGV--.newsrc restored
wolfman@fred:~$

Regards Wolfman :D

johnmurf

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:38:41 am

Hi Wolfman,

I checked out what you wrote in your reply and the same appears for me, with exception to the last bit. After Wayne Davidson name I get the following:
connection to 127.0.1.1 connection refused
giving up...
news server john-HP-Compaq-dc7600-small-form factor unavailable, try again later

When installing trn there are two more error messages that appear and I will try and include screenshots of these, hopefully they will work.

I am not likely to use trn, I was just trying to learn things by installing programs, so It does not matter if this never works, However, this morning when I started the computer, the login screen was different. Normally i have the choice of logining in as Guest or John Murphy, but this time my choices were Alias, John Murphy and about eight differnet qmail ones, such as qmail r, qmail t, qmail, etc etc.

I assume that this is somehow related to trying to install trn and the errors about qmail? i might remove trn and see if these qmail choices go away.

Screenshot 1 .jpeg

Screenshot 2.jpeg

Wolfman

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:02:19 am

Hi John,

if you want a simple RSS feeder, use the "ClearRSS" feeder from "Screenlets", open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install screenlets-pack-all

and then open the app screenlets and mark it and click on start/stop and autologin and thats it!. You'll find it under Main Menu > Accessories > Screenlets.

Screenlets Manager_015.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

johnmurf

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45:35 am

Thanks for that Wolfman. I have installed screenlets ok and will give it a try. I have deleted all the extra qmail user accounts without any problems and no only my name and guest appears on the login screen.