This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 6 Ultimate and Mumble

brotherbrian

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:23:34 pm

First off, let me just say that I really like Zorin OS, and look forward to trying out the new 7 Ultimate!

I recently had a bad lightning storm roll through Indiana that took out my motherboard and modem. Replaced modem no prob, and took opportunity to upgrade mobo and CPU. Still using AMD products. However, after my new motherboard and cpu, ram, etc (same hard drive), Zorin still worked fine, after performing a few updates. However, I can't seem to get Mumble to work anymore. I have removed and reinstalled, but it crashes every time I try to perform the Audio Wizard for automatic setup. I have a hotkey assigned, but it doesn't work anymore, I can't hear anyone, and they can't hear my mic. I am able to text chat with them, however. I should mention that I previously had a sound card installed, and have not reinstalled it, because the mobo has more than sufficient sound capability. And yes, I checked my sound settings to ensure that it is reading the mobo ports, and not my Soundblaster Live card.

Any hints?

BB

Wolfman

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:46:54 pm

Hi,

did you install the Medibuntu repo (see the guide: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054 ) and any of the codecs packages?.

Paste this command in a terminal after setting up the Medibuntu repo if you haven't already done so:

Code:
sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs ffmpeg faac flac

See also the sound section in the guide above as Swarf suggested but it is almost the same command as above with a few differences!.

Regards Wolfman :D

brotherbrian

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:02:21 pm

Well, as far as the soundblaster, I should point out that I did NOT install the soundblaster card to my new mobo, as the mobo has sufficient sound onboard. So I am unsure what soundblaster and creative will do for me at this point.

Well, I still have no sound from mumble, and I notice that when I try to run Audio Wizard to setup mumble audio, it crashes every time. On top of that, I retain a mumble icon in my toolbar down by the clock/sound/network icons in lower right corner (win7 mode). I have to completely uninstall and reinstall to get rid of, or reboot entirely. Any idea how to kill mumble without keeping a minimized icon in toolbar?

Brian

Wolfman

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47:31 am

Hi,

firstly; if you are having problems with the Win7 Look panel (AWN panel), take a look about halfway down the guide about how to make changes and reset it etc:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

If you want to kill an app, use "System Monitor" which you will find > Main Menu > System Tools > System Monitor, you can kill any running process with this tool so be careful what you do with it!!.
System Monitor_017.jpg

Did you do a full update:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

brotherbrian

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:39:22 pm

OKay gang, I got it figured out. My old Mumble config file wasn't being updated when I uninstalled/reinstalled Mumble, so it was retaining my OLD mobo/CPU sound configuration. If anyone else has this problem (mumble crashing on trying to run audio wizard), this fixed it for me:

Goto home folder (/home/yourname)
In top menu bar, click "View" and select "Show hidden files"
Scroll down to folder called " .config" (make sure the dot is there) and open
Scroll to folder called "Mumble" and open
There should be a file called "Mumble.conf". Delete file.
Restart Mumble. It should automatically start Audio Wizard and write a new config file.

Worked for me anyway....

Thanks for all the support in here, gang!

Brian