This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED] How to locate and open the R statistics package

jojothehobo

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:33:00 pm

Hi:
I just downloaded and installed the R statistics package and a few plugins such as the cran R commander. No problems on the install.

I then searched for the R icon to launch the program and couldn't find it. When I launched R from the command line I got a command line prompt saying I could look for help using the help command etc, but I didn't get an R window or R commander front end. I typed rcmdr but the command line didn't recognize that (I think it has to be launched from within R.

So my question is where I can find R installed and how can I launch it so as to get the R window so I can run some of the add on packages I installed? I couldn't find where it is stored from within the files folders under the computer icon.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Jojo

jojothehobo

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50:42 pm

Thanks to taking on the issue and helping me out Swarfendor437.

R is available for Windows and Linux, maybe even the Mac but I'm not sure. I downloaded R (or Cran-R base) and some other packages, using Synaptic, so it definitely does run under Linix and installs in Zorin (6.0). Now I can't find it or get it to start. The command line , when I type $ R I get a message R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22) and a few lines describing it and telling me to look for help. So the package seems to exist. When I used it on Windows I was able to open an R specific window with drop down menuse and a command line that I used to open up the gui rcmdr. As a fan of RTFM I think I will try to contact cran to get some on how to start up R on Linux.

Yet if you could tell me where the installation should be located in Zorin that would be a good start.

Thanks again.
Jojo

Wolfman

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:30:23 am

Hi,

once installed you will find it under "Graphics" in the main menu but it won't start for me, you can open a terminal and type "R" (uppercase r) and then type "help.start()" which will open a web browser help page, sorry I cannot be of more assistance!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jojothehobo

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:29:49 pm

Thanks Wolfman. I will try that and see if I get a browser window. The help file should guide me as to how to open it. R, once open, has its' own command line interface with drop down tab menus to add components and do other stuff. Once I get the R command line interface the rest is easy.

I'll post my experience on how to get this running since other users may have an interest. R is a professional statistics package with over 3000 specialized add ins. It is used all over the world.

all the best
Jojo

jojothehobo

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24:38 pm

Well it took a while, but the good guys (?) won. I basically Googled "starting R on Linux" and "starting R commander on Linux". Not a lot of help. Lots of tutorials on how to install R and support packages and how to use R to solve statistics problems. Introductory how to use, not so much. Installation and operation is easier on Windows and 32 bit Linux. Not as much on 64 bit Linux, but enough. Below is the best, simplest link.

http://bowling-bash.blogspot.com/2012/03/rcmdr-on-ubuntu.html

In essence, you can install R and R commander using a variety of techniques, Synaptic worked for me. To use it you have to install a gui. R commander is a good startup gui, R studio is a development platform. Without a gui you have to run from a command line that isn't the standard R command line, so it isn't to easy to work with.

To really get this down to the nub:
1. Install R and R commander
2. To open R, type "R" at the command line, as Wolfman suggested
3. Type "library(Rcmdr)" (without the quotes) on the next line
4. The R commander window will open and you are ready to start lying with statistics.

One caution- after installing using Synaptic there will be some missing packages in R commander. It will prompt you saying the packages are missing and do you want to install them. Of course the answer is yes. It then asks for source and you accept the typed in suggestion of cran. Ignore the destination folder unless you know what it is. I didn't and the installer found it anyway (Linux Rocks). The installer then asks which cran mirror to use and gives you a drop down list. Select the one geographically nearest you. Click continue and there will be a lot of dialog in the command line for a minute or two. Then it will stop.
Type library(Rcmdr) again and you will get the gui. Hooray.

R has packages for just about anything you want and you can install packages by using synaptic or, for packages not listed there, going http://cran.r-project.org/ will take you to the main page and tell you what commands to type to install the package of your choice.

Thanks for all the help and motivation. If I didn't feel obliged to respond to Wolfman and Swarfendor437 I probably would have given up and put it off into the future. I hope this proves helpful to people interested in R.

all the best
jojo 8-)

Wolfman

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:24:39 am

Hi JoJo,

good for you, I had never heard of this app before and don't have a need for it but like you said, it may help others.

I will mark it as solved.

Regards Wolfman :D