This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Ubuntu 0 byte file?

reikitigerman

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33:07 pm

Greetings,

Today, 7-23-2013, I downloaded free Zorin 7 32 bit ISO & the md5 number checked out perfectly. I used imgburn software to burn the ISO image to a DVD+R 4.7GB disk. The write was successful & was verified. Regardless the disk won't boot. :roll: ..and yes the bios is set to boot from the optical drive first. I've burned a lot of Linux ISOs & this is the first that hasn't worked. Looking at the files on the disk, ( I also viewed the files contained in the ISO image itself), and noticed that the Ubuntu file itself is showing as 0 Bytes? I chose the Linux Freedom server for this download.

Thanks for your time!
Cheers,
Ray

reikitigerman

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02:41 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:You are the second member (welcome by the way! :D ) who has downloaded from a site I have never heard of!

Choose one of these instead:

1. DOWNLOAD - from 1 of the following sites:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/zorin/

http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/zorin/

ftp://ftp.aarnet.edu.au/pub/zorin/

http://distro.ibiblio.org/zorin/ <- mirror of last resort as you cannot resume downloads from this mirror if your internet connection drops during download (speaking from personal experience!)
[This last entry amended as path has changed from original posting - LAST EDITED 18.7.2013]

The Browser that Zorin recommend is Firefox - I can also recommend Opera - both these browsers have the functionality to pause a download and resume at a later time - also useful if you lose a connection during download but please pay heed to my warning about ibiblio.org.

Hello Thanks!
Actually the site I downloaded it from was a mirror on the zorin website itself. I'll try your suggestion for using one of your download links & see how it flies though. Also I was using firefox 22 for the download, and there weren't any interruptions or pauses in the download. Once again thanks!
Cheers
Ray

Wolfman

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:32:55 am

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Regards Wolfman :D

reikitigerman

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:34:58 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Just had another thought, you did burn an image and not copy the image onto the DVD - if you get what I mean - other possibilities - when was the last time you cleaned the lense on your optical drive with something like an Allsop 3 carbon brushed CD cleaner?

Just another thought - you downloaded the correct version for your processor? You did not click on the 64-bit when you have 32-bit?

Just trying to eliminate all avenues! :D

Cheers and sorry about being so late in replying back...I had to do a trip out of state.

Yes I've been burning ISOs for more years than I'd like to think about & yes I do know better than to copy the file instead of burning the image onto the disk thanks and no offense taken...I've seen plenty of noobs that do make that mistake.I burned it on only 4x too.

Anyway...as it turned out the 3rd DVD player I tried it on could read it just fine. So it's now installed as a dual boot with windows Xp Pro. To be quite candid the only thing I was really impressed with was the added support that Ubuntu 13.4 gives for wifi dongles. Some of the other problems that have always plagued Linux, like Midi files were still a pain...video drivers for, especially for AMD were still a pain too. There are still a lot of things that still need to be done with this if they are really serious about making this friendly for windows users...especially gamers. :(
At any rate thanks a whole lot for your time and the support!

Best regards,
Ray