This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] installing programs without the software center?

JingleJoe

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:04:00 pm

I'm relatively new to linux & zorin, still learning a lot but I'm getting there.
It's a great OS, rarely lets me down and is so much more accessible and usable than windows!

Anyway enough praise and intro, here's my question, it's not regarding zorin directly but installing programs with zorin; specifically, how do you install a program in zorin from a tarball file? .tar.bz2 specifically. I'm sure I did it once before but repetition is the only key to learning something like this :P

Can anyone give me some tips and/or point me to a suitable tutorial?

Wolfman

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:58:15 am

Hi,

further to Swarfs suggestion above; you can install any package using the terminal commands, as long as you know the "EXACT" name of the package!!.

An example would be something like the command below:

Code:
sudo apt-get install firefox

which would install the full "firefox" web browser packages.

To remove a package, just use the "remove" command as opposed to the "install" command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove firefox

and the command will remove the package "firefox"!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

JingleJoe

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02:45 pm

thanks chaps, I got it installed without your help but your advice will certain be useful for the future when I need to install more complex programs. thankyou :)

acctually the removing commands may be more useful now as I've got a LOT of programs I don't use on here :P

How would one find the exact name of a program, in order to remove it, from the zorin menu? e.g. opera web browser, from the internet section.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:33:55 am

Hi,

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

and:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

I have marked this as solved!.

Regards Wolfman :D