This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Streamin NAS

Jetlimaster

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26:38 pm

It is a strange bug here fron streaming ..least fron NAS. Installed zorin core 7. ALL working like a dream, Had the computer on for 2 days seeding torrents np att all.
but it is a strange bug come upp. after 2 days or so im wanted to stream fron mine nas. was np to see the files but the streaming not even started and the player just froze ..tried vlc and smplayer same result. The streaming is worked when im started up the computer np at all.
after restart the streaming working again. went a day or so same problem. restart all working again..a weary strange bug..can be so att a service is like stopping or samthing ? turn off self ? all internet okey i can stream you tube after 3 days not turned off comp :=)
just the nas..It is strange.. and im tried connect the nas from other computer it is np at all..
It is a small bug i can def leave whit it but god to now for you guys.

Jetlimaster

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:23:07 pm

Forgot to mentioned im running on Gnome classical mode whit no effect for saving the memory and processor.
And sry but i really cant understand the processes and why do im like need conky ? Like im sad it is working flawless the streaming fron the nas when the computer is started upp. after a day or so it is not :=)

Wolfman

Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:07:17 am

Hi,

do you have the latest version of nas installed?:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/co ... e/base/nas

Regards Wolfman :D

Jetlimaster

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:59:11 pm

mine nas is a synology disk station DS 413j :=)

Wolfman

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:16:13 am

Hi,

have you fully updated your system?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

I am not a NAS expert and apart from the links I posted; cannot really help you much further; sorry!.

If as you say you have a connection and then it drops after a while, maybe it has something to do with your router and your ISP, have you tried resetting your router??.

Jetlimaster

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21:25 pm

Mine NAS sitting on the home network :=) and when im loosed the connection. whit zorin ( before restart ) im tried connect to nas whit 2 other comp 1 windows. 1 other linux to se if the problem was whit the nas. all worked perfect
Okey thx im gonna try the system monitor .Usely im turning of the comp anyway ( using the nas as torrent central :=) )
Only reason im reported this bug to help you guys Not a major issue for me.
Dunno if we call it tottal lose the connection. like sad before i cud still browse the folders juts refused to start play anything fron it . mp3 . avi. it is like a firewall sudden kicking in or samthing :=) all media player cud not stream

Jetlimaster

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17:25 pm

Yeh m8 ofc share able and no firewall. like im wrote all working whit a fres start it is after a while computer on all going strange..but dont bother anymore..

Wolfman

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35:54 am

Hi,

one further question for you, do you have Dconf Editor set to auto mount your drives?, see the post install guide and the part about Dconf editor settings!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Stop/Start Media Auto Mounting:
Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

Jetlimaster

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:28:08 pm

No m8 im not done any automounting or similar staff only thing im did is opened the file browser on zorin core 7 and Bokmarked mine nas :=) . gonna download and se what the dconfig says :=) right now im at work sitting on windows..
BTW im really great for all the help . The only thing mine friends complained about linux is the networking mess whit connect folders and such . they likeme coming fron windows and realy cant understand why samtimes they cant even se the windows network,Im gonna try and learn those staff mine self so i can help them..

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:50:17 am

Hi,

another question, are you trying this via a WiFi connection or is it via a cabled router??.

Jetlimaster

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:23:56 pm

downloadet the Dconf Editor. and it is correctly configured. (many thx for the tip )
sec yes im using a cable now.

Jetlimaster

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55:33 pm

When we already on the subject Im want to ask 1 thing im have wonder over the last year when im installed Linux on mine and other computers. Don’t forget im talking people who coming from windows and about distros targeting windows user. Normally all things working out of the box except the networking, People who had np browse folders on other computer send files between suddenly cant access those folders .(like me) remember in windows ju browse the network and just click on things :=) but many distros don’t even cant se network.
auto mounting is fuzzy as best. I’m cry when see sometimes new distros talking about great look.awesome new icons all eye candy c*** and you cant even se the network because same programs.services don’t even installed :=( The other side the hardware detection usely even bettter then windows and and latly even android detection is great.
But still you need edit config thing to access and mount a network drive (mine case nas ) is not making any sense for a user coming from windows.
IM not criticize here the Zorin os. this one so far the best even the network side ,,
Just maybe the zorin team cud put in next distro or upgrade a better networking handling something :=)

Wolfman

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:26:52 am

Hi JetLimaster,

valid points, maybe the Zorin devs can do something in future releases but generally; they are limited to what Ubuntu bring out and it is sometimes hard to change a major part of the OS like the network manager for example, I agree that things could be made easier though!!.

Is your original problem solved now?.

Jetlimaster

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:11:36 pm

sadly not the problem still exist i can live whit it. the benefits is better whit linux then windows :=)
What say make samthing like a zoring browser changer or look changer. was thinking like zorin network pakage installer ? not depending on ubuntu.:? make a script or simuler?
Im saw Linux Lite has a simuler solution for installing extra packages.
the script cud download the needed packages and what you need for total network control.
Im think no one have any issue even if is 300 mb or so if the network working better :=)