This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Graphics problem running Live Mode

Acer DeVille

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:39:39 pm

Hi, Downloaded 6.2 burned to disk using imgburn at slowest speed, then attempted to run live mode. Pressed f12, got the choose mode screen, choose live mode option, then the screen goes black, and that is all. The wireless adapter light comes on, but never get graphics. I feel it is a missing graphics card driver, but not sure how to correct the issue.
System specs;
Acer Aspire 5734Z laptop
Intel 4 series Express graphics Chipset
2 gig Ram
Graphics card listed at "Generic PnP Monitor"

I don't want to install until I know I can run on my hardware. Any help is appreciated.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:49:39 am

Hi,

when you start the live CD, have you tried the 2nd option in the menu list?. (Safe Mode) You can also try once the first option is highlighted by pressing the "Tab" key and typing "nomodeset" and then press "Enter", that might do it for you!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Acer DeVille

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, I tried Safe Mode and nomodeset, with no luck with either. I was really hoping I could get Zorin to work, I hate MS, but prefer the way windows is set up. I've tried other Linux flavors and just did not like any of them, but I refuse to go to Windows 8.
So are there any other suggestions I could try?

Wolfman

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:18:21 pm

Hi,

the only other thing I can think of is if you try either the 32 bit of Zorin or the Lite version which won't stress out your graphics card so much.

You can also try typing "acpi=off" just like the "nomodeset" command.

Acer DeVille

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:14:24 pm

Okay, my laptop has a port for an external monitor, so I hooked up another monitor and booted into Zorin. Everything is working great except I still have no display on the laptop monitor, how can I find a graphics driver for my screen and load it up?

Wolfman

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:27:52 pm

Hi,

interesting that the external monitor works but not the actual laptop monitor!!.

Now I can only suggest you try Zorin 7 as it has a higher kernel and may well support your monitor better, to my knowledge; there are no other drivers for you to download and install, with Zorin 7, you can use these:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4723

Out of interest, can you actually see something on the laptop screen; or nothing at all?.

Acer DeVille

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38:52 pm

Wolfman wrote:Out of interest, can you actually see something on the laptop screen; or nothing at all?.

I can see nothing it is completely black. I was hoping to use 6.x because it will be supported longer than 7, but I will try seven and see. I hope it works because I really like Zorin.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how 7 works.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:49:39 am

Hi,

another option for you would be to risk an install using your external monitor and then run "DPKG" (Network cable required!) by following this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

I cannot say whether or not it will solve the problem though!!.

Acer DeVille

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18:23 pm

Good news, 7 works great. I'm typing this from 7 right now. So I'm good to go, I just really preferred to use the LTS version, but this will work for now.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:00:27 am

Hi,

sadly the update release command doesn't work for Zorin OS as it will only update to the next version of Ubuntu and not Zorin OS, you can however save your data when updating by following this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Hope it helps as it can be used for any Ubuntu based version!.

I will mark this as solved if that's okay with you!?.

Acer DeVille

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:52:18 am

Thanks for your help Wolfman, I believe it is solved, thanks again.