This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Question on updates...

GiveHim6

Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:18:54 pm

When support for ZOS7 ends, does that mean no updates will come in for anything, or does it mean that only updates for ZOS7 won't happen??

I ask this because I am considering installing ZOS7 for several of my clients, to get them out of the Windows virus/malware realm, and want to make sure I'm not going to have to offer upgrades to a newer Zorin within a year.

Just curious, and thanks in advance for the responses.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:34:18 pm

Hi,

support for the system itself will stop in Jan 2014, there will still be updates available for various apps I assume but no security or kernel updates. You might be better off with Zorin 6 as it is supported until April 2017 as it is an LTS version.

See also:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Regards Wolfman :D

GiveHim6

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:45:04 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

support for the system itself will stop in Jan 2014, there will still be updates available for various apps I assume but no security or kernel updates. You might be better off with Zorin 6 as it is supported until April 2017 as it is an LTS version.

See also:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Hmmmm....

Is there another LTS in the future that I can upgrade the ZOS7 to, or am I stuck with just going back to ZOS6LTS??

Wolfman

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:32:10 pm

Hi,

Ubuntu 14.04 will be LTS, I would think that Zorin devs will work on Zorin 8 when 13.10 comes out and I assume Zorin 9 with Ubuntu 14.04 as its base!?????.

Use Zorin 6 until Ubuntu 14.04 comes out and the Zorin devs have made a new LTS version of Zorin!.

You can of course install a new version over the old and keep your data, you will still have to install all the apps again though:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

See also:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

GiveHim6

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:35:10 am

Ubuntu 14.04 will be LTS, I would think that Zorin devs will work on Zorin 8 when 13.10 comes out and I assume Zorin 9 with Ubuntu 14.04 as its base!?????.

Use Zorin 6 until Ubuntu 14.04 comes out and the Zorin devs have made a new LTS version of Zorin!.

You can of course install a new version over the old and keep your data, you will still have to install all the apps again though:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

See also:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Would you think that ZOS7 would still be rather secure, even without patches, if I can hold out that long?? I don't want to have to reconfigure, since I've spent a while getting things where I want.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:00:19 am

Hi,

I honestly don't know how secure Z7 would be without patches and can really only refer you to my earlier remarks about waiting for Z9 which I assume will be based on Ubuntu 14.04.

Just as a side note, you are aware that the Ubuntu forum was hacked recently aren't you, all user names; Emails and user passwords were taken!!.

GiveHim6

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:43:39 pm

Well, I guess I'm going to bite the bullet, and go back to 6.3. My wife will miss me today. LOL!!!

pp4mnklinux

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53:49 pm

Hi and welcome:

I haven't got a so high technological level as the previous posters, but I can try to help u from my experience.

First of all... 'When something works u should consider the necessity to change it'

Secondly... From my experience, when I'm satisfied with a Linux version I only change it when the new one satisffy completely one of my real necessities, if not... I forget this change.

At last (but not least) I alternate versions, that is. Version 6, 8, 10... ( This is, one main version without installation)

And, after all, U took the best decission: use 6.3 and stay with your wife. ;)

GiveHim6

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52:30 am

Ughhhhhh!!! What a nightmare!!!!

Got everything back up and running for the most part, but Google Chrome crashes the c*** out of 6.3.

Using Firefox now, and it's stable.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36:51 am

GiveHim6 wrote:Ughhhhhh!!! What a nightmare!!!!

Got everything back up and running for the most part, but Google Chrome crashes the c*** out of 6.3.

Hi,

you are aware that there is an unstable version of Google Chrome, which version did you install?, you should have got it from here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Did you try Opera or Chromium browsers??.

To add stability to my system, I install both the base packages for Gnome and KDE, the only drawback to this option is that when updating, you have to update a lot more apps and packages of things that you don't really need or want, advantage is as I said, is system stability!, if you want to try it out, paste the following command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome kde-full

GiveHim6

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58:52 am

Wolfman wrote:
GiveHim6 wrote:Ughhhhhh!!! What a nightmare!!!!

Hi,

you are aware that there is an unstable version of Google Chrome, which version did you install?, you should have got it from here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Did you try Opera or Chromium browsers??.

To add stability to my system, I install both the base packages for Gnome and KDE, the only drawback to this option is that when updating, you have to update a lot more apps and packages of things that you don't really need or want, advantage is as I said, is system stability!, if you want to try it out, paste the following command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome kde-full

Looks like I have the latest version of Chrome after a system update. I'm installing the gnome kde-full now, so I will test and see how that goes this week.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:30:30 am

Hi,

keep us posted please.

GiveHim6

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:14:02 am

keep us posted please.

Still the same thing with Chrome. Don't know if it's a Flash issue or what, but Firefox works flawlessly.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:04:48 am

Hi,

I would completely remove Google Chrome and download a version from another location, I can only think that the pacakge you have is damaged!!?????.

The other alternative is to use the Linux version which is "Chromium Browser". (It is in the repo!!)

madvinegar

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:08:53 am

Close chrome, open your home folder, press ctrl+H to reveal the hidden files and go to /.config/google-chrome/
Temporarily move (delete) the "google-chrome" file to your trash and relaunch chrome. Does it work now?