This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless N band

falkonviper

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:37:20 pm

Could anyone help me enabling the wireless N band ,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks In Advance ,,,,,,,,, :)

pp4mnklinux

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:02:38 am

Hi! I don't know a lot about zorin, but I think more explanation about your problem is needed to give u an useful and valid answer. In my particular situation WiFi n was identified inmediately after instalation but I canakt help u because the lack of info. Have a nice day!

Wolfman

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:12:21 am

pp4mnklinux wrote:Hi! I don't know a lot about zorin, but I think more explanation about your problem is needed to give u an useful and valid answer. In my particular situation WiFi n was identified inmediately after instalation but I canakt help u because the lack of info. Have a nice day!

Indeed as posted above.

What version of zorin are you using, what type of wireless adapter and what type of PC/Notebook?.

You can try the following:

For Zorin 6, open System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers and see if you have any drivers on offer to you and install them if you can! (Click on "Activate").

For Zorin 7, open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers and do the same.

You can also try fully updating the system first which may help you, run "DPKG" per the guide below using a "Network Cable Only!":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

falkonviper

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:16:25 pm

Mine is a Lenovo G570 notebook and the wireless card model is Qualcom Atheros AR9285 and the driver is ath9k and I'm currently using Netrunner 13.06 distro but it also the same thing on Zorin os 7 ,,,,,,,,,, and it also has been happening on the other distros that I have been trying ,,,,,,

And about the router it supports the N band and I have an other dell running windows 7 that is getting the N band ,,,,,,,,

And thank you all for your replies ,,,,,,,,, :D

madvinegar

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54:19 am

First of all your wireless card must support the N band in order to connect to it.
Secondly, you choose the band you want from your router's settings. You log into the web interface of your router, you go to the wireless settings and from there you choose the requested band (b, g, n etc.).
To do that, you must connect your laptop to the router (even via ethernet cable), open your browser and type in the address bar the IP of the router (which can be found on a sticker on the bottom of your router) together with the routers login name and password.

falkonviper

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:43:39 pm

@ swarfender437

Most of these packages were already installed and the program didn't work ,,,,,,,

@madvinger

My wireless card already supports N band that I used to connect to on windows at past days before moving to linux ,,,,, and the router I adjusted it to work on the 3 bands (B/G/N) ,,,, and I'm conneced right now through wireless connection but as I mensioned before I use right now the netrunner 13.06 distro and that also happens on zorin os 7 and all other distros ,,,,,,,,

Selection_007.png
Selection_007.png (1.99 KiB)

PICTURE DELETED BY WOLFMAN BECAUSE PICTURE SHOWS YOUR DEVICE MAC ADDRESS TO THE WHOLE WORLD!!!.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11:56 pm

When connected can you please post back the result of the following commands?

lspci -nn | grep 0280
sudo lshw -c network

I think I remembered a way to enable your N band.

falkonviper

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17:31 am

lspci -nn | grep 0280

Code:
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)

sudo lshw -c network

Code:
*-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet
       vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: c1
       serial:
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.1-NAPI latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
       resources: irq:44 memory:d0500000-d053ffff ioport:2000(size=128)
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
       vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 01
       serial:
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.8.0-23-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.2 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
       resources: irq:17 memory:d0400000-d040ffff

madvinegar

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10:45 am

Ok thanx.

To enable your N band, open terminal and give the following commands:

Code:
sudo rmmod ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k 11n_disable=0

See if you get any better results.
If it works, we can try to make it permanent so you don't need to type the above commands after each reboot.
Otherwise we can try another set of commands.

On a personal note, the usual problems with the ath9k driver is because of the N band, and most of the times we need to disable it in order our wifi to work better.
Do you get any interruptions, or connection drops etc?
In case you want to try, the usual way to fix the ath9k problems is the following: (in case you have tried the above set of commands, first restart you PC and then try the following).
Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

A blank document will open.
Copy and paste the following line inside it
Code:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1

Save, exit, reboot and test the wifi connection.

Jetlimaster

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:45:31 pm

Just for the info about connecting N. Im had the same issue once when im tried to connect mine laptop . Have no clue why mine laptop running in slow mode instead speedy :=). Then im read on the net if you connect ANYTHING else which not support your N band..like tablet. phone. other older computer. your router AUTOMATIC going down and using the slow connection (compatible ) for ALL devices. Dunno if the newest routers changed on this issue but least mine 2 years old is working this way .
So check if is anything else on wifi on your router same time.

falkonviper

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:38:35 am

@madvinegar

the first solution is not working ,,,, it gives an error about ath9k ,,,,,

and I applied the second solution and nothing changed every thing is just like it was before ,,,,,,

and thanks for your help ,,,,,,,, :D

@Jetlimaster

It is just two device (notebooks) that is connected to the router , one runs windows 7 and runs on the N band the other is mine running linux (Netrunner 13.06 distro for the mean time) that is running on the b/g band ,,,,,

and thanks for your help ,,,,,,,,, :D

madvinegar

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:57:27 am

Can you tell me the names of the files inside your /etc/modprobe.d/ directory?

falkonviper

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43:15 am

Code:
alsa-base.conf              blacklist-modem.conf         mlx4.conf
ath9k.conf                  blacklist-oss.conf           open-vm-tools.conf
blacklist-ath_pci.conf      blacklist-rare-network.conf  vmware-fuse.conf
blacklist.conf              blacklist-watchdog.conf      vmwgfx-fbdev.conf
blacklist-firewire.conf     dkms.conf
blacklist-framebuffer.conf  iwlwifi.conf

madvinegar

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15:58 am

Lets try the following.
In the file /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

Change the line
Code:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1

to
Code:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=0

Save, exit, reboot.

madvinegar

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:30:05 am

If the above does not work, you can delete the ath9k.conf file we created inside /etc/modprobe.d/

I found this link http://mytestbed.net/issues/557 which explains that the ath9k driver automatically goes to N band in case you choose a 5GHZ > channel from your router.
Can you log into your router's settings and see if you can do that? i.e. choose a channel of 5ghz (instead of the normal b/g channels (1-13).

More specifically it says:
"I think the way this works in ath9k is that when you set a channel in the 1-13 range, the card will automatically enter 802.11b/g mode. If you are setting a channel from the 5GHz band, ath9k will set the card to 802.11n/a mode.

In other words, the card just does the "right thing" and we don't need to specify a mode, since the transmission is automatically done using the best available mode. The only scenario where setting a mode explicitly would make sense is when someone wants to force the lower speed 802.11a or b even though the cards involved can do g and n.
"

falkonviper

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:03:49 am

This solution didn't work either ,,,,,,,,,

About the 5Ghz channels ,,,, I think it is not supported in my country ,,, and my router only has these channels (01-11) ,,,,,,,,,,

and thanks for your help ,,,,,,,, I think it is a driver issue then ,,,,,, :D

madvinegar

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41:53 pm

If you want to follow Swarf's idea, last resort is to use the windows drivers via ndiswrapper.
I have prepared a complete guide here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5008&p=23927&hilit=ndiswrapper#p23927