This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ubuntu Tweak

birkopf

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:43:46 am

I have noticed recently that ubuntu tweak has disappeared from my Programs menu... evaporated on it's own ?

I can start via terminal and this is how it looks:

Code:
ubuntu-tweak

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:994:22: Not a valid image

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1001:22: Not a valid image

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:10:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): GConf-WARNING **: : You can't use a GConfEngine that has an active GConfClient wrapper object. Use GConfClient API instead.

(ubuntu-tweak:5752): GConf-WARNING **: : You can't use a GConfEngine that has an active GConfClient wrapper object. Use GConfClient API instead.
Checking if settings need to be migrated ...no
Checking if internal files need to be migrated ...no
Backend     : gconf
Integration : true
Profile     : default
Adding plugins
Initializing core options...done
[utils.icon][WARNING] get_from_list for folder-home failed, try next (icon.py:56)
[utils.icon][WARNING] get_from_list for folder-home failed, try next (icon.py:56)

How to restore it in the Zorin Start Menu ?

Wolfman

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08:41 am

Hi,

for adding missing objects in the main menu, right click on the Zorin button > Edit and you can edit entries to the menu at will. Clicking on the list on the left of the menu will show each sub group and you just need to add a tick in the box!.
Main Menu_019.jpg
Main Menu_019.jpg (28.61 KiB)

You might want to do a complete update with the terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

What version of Ubuntu Tweak do you have installed?.

You can also add the UT PPA if you haven't already done so:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

Regards Wolfman :D

birkopf

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:36:54 am

Wolfman wrote:for adding missing objects in the main menu, right click on the Zorin button > Edit and you can edit entries to the menu at will. Clicking on the list on the left of the menu will show each sub group and you just need to add a tick in the box!.

I know but it isn't there. That's why I said it looks like it would evaporate...

You might want to do a complete update with the terminal command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
What version of Ubuntu Tweak do you have installed?.

Currently 0.8.5. I have added PPA below but it's the same version...

Wolfman

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:53:49 am

Hi,

have you tried re-installing it?, take a look in Synaptic and search for it and right click it and mark for re-installation and see if that helps.

I am not on Zorin at the mo but I think it will also show up in the control center!. (System Settings)

birkopf

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:24:50 pm

I have done as above and still nothing. Never had similar issues...

Is there anything else that comes to your mind ? Maybe purge again and controlled install via dpkg function with additional settings to ensure that shortcuts i nthe menu will be created ?

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:06:58 am

Hi birkopf,

I would try the following terminal command and see if it helps but this will install a lot of unecessary packages will will also cause your updates to download more packages in the future than you really need. It does add stability to the system though imo!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

Did you try removing Ubuntu Tweak via Synaptic like I suggested earlier?.

birkopf

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:04:26 am

I would prefer to not install gnome as mentioned because this will do exactly what you said and also may cause complications which I don't have time to resolve now.

I removed via synaptic (full remove) and also tried via apt-get remove --purge...

Do you know where does the ubutnut- tweak (application) sit's? Is it in some lib or opt folder in the system ?

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:25:00 am

Hi,

Home > Computer (or File) > usr > share > applications > right click > Copy to > Desktop > Select > sorted!.

birkopf

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:25:20 pm

Interesting.

1) If I go to the usr/share/applications I can start Ubuntu-Tweak by clicking on it.
2) If I create shortcut on Desktop as described above - it works.

- If I go to Start menu and create from there shortcut - it won't start... even if I open as administrator...

All other apps work as they should...

Wolfman

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:10:09 am

birkopf wrote:Interesting.

1) If I go to the usr/share/applications I can start Ubuntu-Tweak by clicking on it.
2) If I create shortcut on Desktop as described above - it works.

- If I go to Start menu and create from there shortcut - it won't start... even if I open as administrator...

"WTF" ? All other apps work as they should...

Hi,

did you install Ubuntu Tweak while working as "Root"?, that would explain why you don't have permission!.

Make yourself root with the following terminal command and navigate to the Ubuntu Tweak icon in the applications folder and change the user permissions:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

birkopf

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:24:03 am

No I installed it just like every other software. Even if I change permission it still does not work.

birkopf

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01:59 pm

I'n not amused with the way Z7 looks so I will hang on to Z6 for quite a time :)

Wolfman

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08:40 pm

Hi birkopf,

sorry but I don't have another explanation as to why it's not working.

My only suggestion is to completely remove all traces of Ubuntu Tweak including the PPA and download the deb package from their website and install it with Gdebi!.

Can we close this thread if you intend to stay with Z6, I have it working no problem with Z7 though!!.