This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Install downloaded programs

Acer DeVille

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:27:56 pm

I'm trying to install a program that is not available in the software center. So I went to the webpage and it offers two options for linux, a "rpm" and a "deb" file. What is the difference and which one would be the best for Zorin? Also is there any thing else I need to know about doing this?

Acer DeVille

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:01:51 pm

Thanks swarfendor 437, sorry it took so long to respond, I keep forgetting to subscribe to topic. Anyway I am trying to install the Lightscribe software, as I have to burn disk quite often, and it looks more professional to have them lightscribed instead of permanent marker. So if I have any more problems I'll let you know. For now here are 50 blue gems for your help.

Edit; I tried installing through the software center, and the gdebi installer, and as far as I can tell it's still not installed. Here are the details, first I have to install the "base" software, then I have to install the software to actually burn the disk (dependent on the first pkg being installed). When I go to install the secondary software it says "dependency met" (or something to that effect). But, I can not find the software anywhere in the software center. What have I done wrong?

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:56:37 am

Hi,

if you know the exact name of the package, you can download a "Deb" package from here;

http://pkgs.org/

Make sure you download the correct package for your system, either 32 bit or 64 bit, the ".alldeb" packages work on both systems.

Ubuntu 12.04 = Zorin 6
Ubuntu 13.04 = Zorin 7

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1778&p=6447#p6447

Regards Wolfman :D

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:45:33 am

Thanks for the link Wolfman, but what I need is not there. Oh well for now I'll just boot back into windows, and keep looking until I figure it out. Not going to stress out over it right now. I have bookmarked that page so I can find it again.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47:20 am

Hi,

what app do you want?.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:59:27 am

It's the lightscribe disk labeling software. There are two files you have to install, 1 the "base software", and then 2 the labeling software itself.

1. http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsect ... px?id=1372
2. http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsect ... px?id=1372

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:19:50 am

Hi,

I assume you read this part first:

"This package MUST be installed BEFORE your LightScribe labeling applications to maintain the necessary dependencies."

Once downloaded, (deb package only) right click the package and on "Open With" and select "Gdebi", this should install any missing dependencies.

If you open the Synaptic package manager afterwards, type "label" in search and look for an app that will back up the main app, you need something like those suggested by the website:

Simple Labeler or LaCie's 4L labeler

You might find something compatible in Synaptic, make sure you have closed Gdebi before opening Synaptic.

If gdebi is not installed, use the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

In Zorin 7 it should already be there!.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:52:35 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I assume you read this part first:

"This package MUST be installed BEFORE your LightScribe labeling applications to maintain the necessary dependencies."

I have used this program for years, and the first pkg has to be installed first otherwise it won't work, I found this out the hard way. I used gdebi, to install the first package, then I used gdbebi to install the second. I accidently tried to install the second pkg first, and was told that "dependicies" were not met, then after installing the first one, when I tried the second one it said that dependicies were met, and installed. But now I can not find the installed program anywhere. Which is what is confusing me, it said it was installed but I can not find the inst alled program. It is something that I am going to have to do some research on, I mean I don't actually know where to find the icon to start the program. In windows I would look under all programs in the start panel, but linux is set up differently. I am going to email lightscribe support and see if they have any advice.
Thanks for the help.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:40:08 pm

Ok I finally found it, I opened the software center and at the bottom of the page clicked on "show 1983 technical programs". So it is installed, now I just need to create a desktop icon so I can run it, how do I do that?

Edit: I've also found it in the "usr/lib/", when I click on the "elcu.sh" file it says "run as administrator", but when clicking on properties>permissions it says I'm not the owner????

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:25:24 pm

Hi,

Home > Computer (or File) > usr > share > applications > mark the app > right click > Copy to > Desktop > Select > sorted!.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:57:53 pm

Not there????????????????

Edit: found it computer>opt>lightscribe>simple labeler> (launchbrowser.sh)
Which belongs to Root, and cannot be launched. I have searched all over google, and found all kinds of ways to use terminal commands to install and launch, and have tried all of them, but none have worked so far. Most places said you would have to force install, which I don't want to do. I'm just going to let it rest for now and try again later. Unless you have another idea you can mark this solved, and 250 blue gems for all your troubles. Thanks.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15:31 am

Acer DeVille wrote:Not there????????????????

Edit: found it computer>opt>lightscribe>simple labeler> (launchbrowser.sh)
Which belongs to Root, and cannot be launched. I have searched all over google, and found all kinds of ways to use terminal commands to install and launch, and have tried all of them, but none have worked so far. Most places said you would have to force install, which I don't want to do. I'm just going to let it rest for now and try again later. Unless you have another idea you can mark this solved, and 250 blue gems for all your troubles. Thanks.

Hi,

make yourself root with the following terminal command and navigate to the file/folder icon in the folder and where you have it stored and change the user permissions by right clicking the file > permissions > and change them so your name is also showing:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Acer DeVille

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:41:13 am

GREAT NEWS! I don't know what I did but it started working. Now my question is can I change the icon, on the desktop?

Acer DeVille

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:31:14 pm

That worked, thanks. This can be marked Solved.