This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] 2 questions

Acer DeVille

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:48:31 pm

First how do I set a program to automatically launch upon startup? I saw a way a couple of days ago, but I don't remember how to do it. Next question, I'm not so optimistic about, is there any way to not have to use passwords every time I try to do something. I realize it's a security feature, but my pc never leaves my home and no one else uses my pc. So I don't see a need to have so many password prompts.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:40:19 pm

Hi,

here is something about disabling root but you use it at your own risk:

http://www.tecmint.com/how-to-enable-an ... in-ubuntu/

To autostart an app, you need to open "Startup Applications" and add the app you want to start to the startup list.

Main menu > System Tools > Preferences > Startup Applications > Add > Browse > File System (or Computer) > Usr > Bin >then select the app you want to start from the list and click on "Open" then give it a name and click on "Add" done!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Acer DeVille

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:33:02 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply, I forgot to subscribe to the topic, so I diidn't get an email, duh.

One more question, in windows you have the "run" command. What is the linux equivalent? I have got to start writing down my questions so I can ask them all at one time. I have been trying to find a linux distro that I like for a couple of years, and I reallly like Zorin, so now I have to learn all there is to know. I know I'll eventually figure it out but right now all those "sudo -apt" commands (and the like), are really confusing me. Thanks for all the help, and Wolfman here are 100 blue jewels for your help and patience.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01:45 am

Hi,

to run an app, you need to make it "Executeable", by right clicking the app > Properties > Permissions > Allow executing file as program which is the same as run, this normally works but some files/packages may require more commands/work!.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52:39 am

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't trying to run an app, I was trying to load the firefox profile manager. In windows you load a run command then type in "firefox.exe -profilemanager". I found a linux page that said to load the same command, but it did not tell I tried a terminal but that did not work.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56:50 am

Hi,

open: Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information > Application Basics > Profile Directoy > Open directory > sorted!.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00:06 am

thanks

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28:33 am

Hi AD,

are both your questions answered and can we mark this as solved?.

Acer DeVille

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:42:56 am

Yes mark it solved. Thanks again.