This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer driver selection

GKL

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14:01 am

I need to download a Linux printer driver from my printer manufacturer's web site but it gave me two choices and I need to know which one to choose for Zorin 7

Which one of these should I download for Zorin 7 ?

Linux (rpm)
Linux (deb)

Also, are there any specific proceedures for installing it after downloading or do I just simply download it ?

I am new to Linux so please explain in simple terms, thanks !

Wolfman

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:27:38 am

Hi,

you need the .deb package for Debian based systems like Zorin OS, either 32 or 64 bit or the .alldeb package which works for both 32 and 64 bit systems.

You can use "Gdebi" package installer to install the package once downloaded by right clicking the package and on "Open With".

Please see the post install guide about Gdebi and there is also a printer section, if you have an HP printer, it is very easy!!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Make and model of printer would help!.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

GKL

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:23:47 am

My printer is a Brother DCP-8080DN

After you said I would need the "deb" version for Zorin I thought it would be fairly simple, but after clicking on the "deb" link it gave me more choices that I have to figure out which ones to use.

They are at this link:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... 8&type2=-1

......looks like this might turn into a more than one day project figuring out which ones to use :)

Wolfman

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:31:45 am

Hi,

find out whether you have a 32 or 64 bit system first by opening the System Settings > System > Details and look there:

Details_023.jpg

Once you know which system you have, download one of each of the deb packages and use "Gdebi" to install them, it should auto install any missing dependencies for you!!, if you still aren't sure which package you need, try using the 32 bit packages first even if you have a 64 bit system.

Did you have the printer plugged in and switched on when you installed Zorin?.

Let us know how you get on.

GKL

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:12:24 pm

Thanks for the info, as far as the printer, it stays on all the time (goes to idle mode until printing) but it is set up on a wireless router so computers elsewhere in the house can print thru a wireless connection, so the computers with Linux are not physically connected to the printer, should that be a problem ?

I just thought of something, even though the Linux computers are on the internet thru a wireless wifi connection, I am not sure if they are recogized as being on the local network with the other computers, can Linux computers access windows computers on the same LAN ?

Wolfman

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:49:26 am

Wolfman

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:46:14 am

Hi GKL,

is this solved now?.

GKL

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:32:41 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi GKL,

is this solved now?.

My schedule got extra busy for a few days and I haven't had a chance to try this solution and the recovery solution from the other thread yet.

I should have enough free time tomorrow so I can focus on it and have extra time to spend on it in case it takes longer than I think it might to figure everything out.

Thanks for checking Wolfman, I'll post with the results after I try out the solutions.

GKL

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:18:10 pm

I had some time today to try to get my Linux laptop computer to recognize my printer thru the wireless network but simply got a message to the effect of "installation failed".

When my laptop had windows it had no problem printing over the wireless network, but not so with Linux on the laptop.

The computer in the room with the printer has windows, so I don't know if that is the reason my Linux on the laptop can't see the printer on the network.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

GKL

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:41:18 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi GKL, I noticed that your printer is through a Wireless Access Point - I had an issue with an AP because it did not have a 'generic' driver under GNU/Linux. When you installed the printer under Windows, did you have to make a physical connection first (like you have to with HP all-in-ones to assing an IP address). Have you tried pinging the IP of the printer from a terminal?

It was so long ago I am not sure, but I do know the IP address and tried using it on the laptop.

Other wireless connected computers did not have to be connected initially, but maybe just the one in the same room that is not wireless.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:43:00 am

Hi,

afaik, you must first use a "Network Cable" to intially setup any wireless printer, have you done that?.

GKL

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:46:14 pm

When I first got the printer some years ago I only had to do a direct connection with the computer in the same room with the printer (which was not wireless), but not with the other computers in the house, those were able to be set up to connect to the printer thru the wireless connection. (back then all our computers used windows)

Would the fact that the computer hooked up directly to the network in the same room with the printer being windows make any difference since I am trying to make a wireless network connection to the printer from a wireless Linux laptop ?

Since the Linux laptop is successfully connected to the wireless router for an internet connection I would think that getting connected to the printer should work also.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59:16 pm

Hi,

I don't know, did you try using a cable in the meantime?. I have an HP printer and it must first be setup using a cable or it won't work!!.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:38:29 am

Hi,

one further tip for you, install this package in case it is needed for 32 bit support on a 64 bit system, it may help, open a terminal and paste the command:

Code:
sudo apt get install ia32-libs-multiarch:i386