This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Wine & version

pp4mnklinux

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:01:12 am

Hello everybody and thanks in advance:

My question is about Wine and Zorin versions.-

As I know, wine Is a Fantastic Resource to use Windows soft and with it U can execute/install Windows ".exe's".

My question is about 'How it works' to know:

- Are programs executed with wine installed permanently in Linux or u must execute the win-progrm with wine each time U wanna use it?

- The most important question.- Because of my 'necessity' of formating Windows (xp-7) each 9 months or less I created in my PC a partition with the most of my software at Portable Format, in order to fastly reinstall my win system when I formated the PC. Is wine working with all the portable softwre or not (I ask this because some portable programs -MixMeister- does not work under Linux and I want to Know if the reason of this is its portable format or its that wine doesn't support it)

Related to 'versions'.

I am working with zorin 6.3 but I read about how fantastic is zorin 5.2. My question is about the working-speed
_-_ Is there any real speed difference between these two versions. I'm a speed fanatic and if working speed of 5.2 is faster than 6.3, does it compense the time spend in changing one version for the other?

- Some time ago I read that 'puppy' is by far the fastest linux version. Any fast puppy alternatives?

:: Have a nice weekend

THANKY

Wolfman

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:11:13 am

Hi,

all questions relating to Wine can be found here:

http://wiki.winehq.org/

All apps installed with Wine are permanent!.

Zorin 5 is no longer supported, if you want speed, use either Zorin Lite or any XFCE/LXDE based system!.

Not all Windows apps work with Wine, you need to read the Wine apps database which is verrrrrrrrrrry loooooooooooong:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... nding=true

Regards Wolfman :D

pp4mnklinux

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:50:00 am

Thanky my friend

;)