This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin freezes once or twice a day

GKL

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05:25 am

I was hoping it was just a rare glitch, but it seems since I switched to Zorin 7 my computer will freeze up once or twice a day.

It had been happening when the computer was sitting idle but on, but just a few minutes ago when I was in the middle of typing my reply to another post it froze up.

By freeze up I mean nothing on the keyboard gives any response and the cursor is also frozen in one spot.

I have to push the power off button and then power back on to get it to work again.

The computer this is happening on is an Acer Aspire 9410Z laptop.

I remember rarely having that particular problem in windows so it don't seem like it would a hardware problem.

Is there any reason that Zorin might have that problem and need something tweaked ?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14:18 am

Hi,

try running "DPKG" from the recovery menu (Use a Network cable only; not Wifi!) and see if it is just a software problem, there have been new kernel updates recently and that may solve the problem:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

GKL

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34:30 pm

On that page it said:

This option requires a working cable network connection, it may not work with a WiFi connection!!. Click on "Network" to activate the network before trying to use the internet to update the system. (I could not get it to work with WiFi)

....so that means there is no danger of trying it thru wifi, only that it might not work thru wifi, right ?

Also:

When I click on "Network" it shows an icon for the other Linux computer on the network, but when I clickon thatbicon it says unable to access and "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused"

It also has an icon for "windows network" but when I clicked on that it did not show any computers, but generated an error report it said it would send out.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:35:00 am

Hi,

Wifi is possible but very difficult to get to work in recovery mode and this is why I recommend using a cable!.

Read the answer from here but please do not ask me for help if you have problems with it as I am not a Wifi user in recovery mode:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/104066/e ... y-terminal

You most likely cannot access your Windows network because the drives aren't mounting at that stage but I am not sure.

Anyway, use a network cable and you should be able to update with dpkg as I said!!.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:11:51 pm

Hi,

another question and I cannot remember if we touched on the subject before, did you use a disk to install and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

The reason I ask is because you mention your system crashing and this is could be a sign of a fast disk burn!!.

GKL

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14:58 pm

I did use a disk and burned it at the slowest speed listed, which I think was 2X.

The first disk I had made did not work, so I made a another disk and that one worked and installed Zorin 7.

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

another question and I cannot remember if we touched on the subject before, did you use a disk to install and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

The reason I ask is because you mention your system crashing and this is could be a sign of a fast disk burn!!.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:26:22 pm

Hi,

try starting in recovery mode and select "FSCK" (File System Check) which is the same as "CHDSK" under Windows!. See if it reports any problems!.

GKL

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:27:18 pm

I did not have time to try this yet, I have some spare network cables around somewhere and hopefully will have time to find them later today and give it a try intead of trying it thru wifi.

I don't think I ever had this laptop directly connected via cable, only wifi, so I'll have to see if the cable connection automatically overrides the wifi connection when I hook it up.

Wifi is possible but very difficult to get to work in recovery mode and this is why I recommend using a cable!.

Read the answer from here but please do not ask me for help if you have problems with it as I am not a Wifi user in recovery mode:

You most likely cannot access your Windows network because the drives aren't mounting at that stage but I am not sure.

Anyway, use a network cable and you should be able to update with dpkg as I said!!.

GKL

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:32:14 pm

Should I try "FSCK" first before trying the "DPKG" you mentioned before ?

If so, should I then afterwards still try "DPKG" whether "FSCK" reports any problems or not ?

try starting in recovery mode and select "FSCK" (File System Check) which is the same as "CHDSK" under Windows!. See if it reports any problems!.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20:50 am

GKL wrote:I did not have time to try this yet, I have some spare network cables around somewhere and hopefully will have time to find them later today and give it a try intead of trying it thru wifi.

I don't think I ever had this laptop directly connected via cable, only wifi, so I'll have to see if the cable connection automatically overrides the wifi connection when I hook it up.

Hi,

using a network cable in recovery mode should not cause a problem as it will automatically activate the network card and not the WiFi card!!.

As Swarf said, run FSCK first followed by activating the network then DPKG and don't forget to restart afterwards!!.

Uzi

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:11:03 am

Hi guys,

Hmmm thought I had got away from Windows problems but the old freeze issue has appeared with Zorin now. This started a couple of days ago after this weeks updates. Something must have gone wrong with it I guess. The freezes all happen on different actions but not while a program is running ie shutting down it has happened twice. Just when I went to empty the Trash Bin the pop up 'Empty / Cancel' worked then the computer locked up. I have to soft power off & reboot.

The above advice is no good as I have never been able to get recovery mode working. Is there anyway of finding what the latest updates were? Through Synaptic perhaps?

Uzi.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53:25 am

Hi Uzi,

the easy way is to open Synaptic > File > History then click on the list on the left which will show you what was installed recently:
History_039.jpg

You can also try running the terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

which will force an update.

You might want to run this command first though in case there is something broken somewhere in APT:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Hope it helps.

Uzi

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53:39 am

Hi Wolfman

Thanks for the info, I will check it out. Have to do something, the freeze ups are getting worse. So Microsoft c***. Not good. :(

I am looking at just doing a restore to before the update or even going to Zorin 6.4 to see if the bugs like Recovery Mode work.

I will let you know.

Uzi

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:59:40 am

OK - History does not list the last update :o

The command you suggested resulted in this :

uzi@uzi-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for uzi:
dpkg: error: dpkg status database is locked by another process
uzi@uzi-System-Product-Name:~$

:?: :?:

Wolfman

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:13:16 am

Hi Uzi,

you got that message because you most likely still had Synaptic or maybe the update manager running, make sure that both of those are closed before running this command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Have you tried pressing the "Shift" key to enter recovery menu?, as soon as your PC starts booting, press the shift key and see if the main menu appears and select the 2nd option to enter recovery mode!.

Uzi

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:48:53 am

The command asks for password then does nothing. I get tho options on boot to enter recovery but again nothing happens & I have to reboot.

Tried to restore from backup & got a message saying Ubuntu 12.4 experienced a problem & has closed.

I see only 2 routes left. Try upgrading to Zorin 6.4 and hope it sorts things out or give up & try another Distro. :cry:

Wolfman

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:39:58 pm

Hi Uzi,

try Zorin 6.4 as I don't really know what else to suggest; sorry!.

Uzi

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:00:17 am

Sorry, internet has been down for a couple of days. Freeze happens at different times after doing different things, so cant figure out what is causing it. I will try 6.4 soon & see what happens.

danieleric2

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41:30 am

I started having the same issue with my desktop around that time too.

Uzi

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42:44 pm

Well, I upgraded from 6.3 to 6.4 and all is fine again except when I use WINE and playing Sins of a Solar Empire and it plays fine but freezes when I close it.

That seems to point towards:

1. WINE

2. The game

3. Graphics card issue.

The 3rd option seems likely as even though I have updated to 6.4, the recovery mode still does not work. All I get is a black screen. I have noticed quite a few posters having problems with Nvidia and around the time the freezes started I noted an Nvidia update was downloaded

Wolfman

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:47:37 am

Hi.

Uzi,

after your update to 6.4, did you install the package "mono-complete"???. It might help your game run better!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

@danieleric2, can you please start a new thread with your problem so we don't get mixed up with answering the wrong questions for your individual problem as you haven't given a full description of your problem. Thanks.

Uzi

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:57:08 am

SOLVED IT :D

I didn't do as Wolfman suggested. I did some research and clearly Linux / Ubuntu have many issues around Graphic card drivers - mainly Nvidia. So I looked at the setting of mine (System tools - Admin - Nvidia settings) and saw that it was set at QUALITY. I slid the bar over to the right for maximun PERFORMANCE and no freezes for 2 days.

I have found some other curious things about drivers too & will start a new thread later about that.

Uzi

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:09:40 pm

Well for you guys that understand all that and like tinkering under the hood, by all means but if I need to do all that, then Zorin isn't for me. :shock:

A change from QUALITY to PERFORMANCE in the Nvidia Settings worked fine until I shut down last night & it locked up. I have played my game on WINE & it ran smoothly then shut down without any issue. Firefox ran much faster & scrolled smoother too.

I will get around to doing a separate post on this subject but for now, it is enough to say that all Linux Distros I have tried over the last week had either the screen 'blink' like Zorin has until the Nvidia driver is installed or go to black screen after booting from disc, as Zorin does with Recovery Mode. Only one Distro booted up clean with no issues & that was PCLOS both standard & MATE versions. The only reason I could see was it included the graphic drivers. It also contained Nvidia driver version 310 while Zorin is using 319 with previous listed is 304. I will look at adding 310 & see if that gets rid of the freeze 100%. To be honest though if the only freeze is on shut down once in a while, I can live with that.

Wolfman

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:41:15 am

qUzi,

I still recommend you install the complete Mono package for gaming!:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

In case you don't know, Mono is the Linux version of Windows "Net Framework" which may well enhance your gaming fun!.

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Uzi

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09:45 am

Wolfman,

At the moment I am working on the 'if it isnt broken, dont fix it' rule. My game plays perfectly & hasn't frozen on exit once since I changed the setting in Nvidia, only once at shut down of Zorin. It is very clear that the driver is the issue that needs to be focused on.

Uzi

Uzi

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:41:39 pm

Yeah, I was getting the screen going dim & sticking for a short time on Firefox too before I changed the Nvidia setting to performance. Everything is much better with just that change. One freeze on shutting down in 4 days is all now 8-)

I am running Zorin 6.4 now from 6.3. Never tried Zorin 7

Uzi.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59:05 am

@Uzi,

did you adjust the "Nvidia OpenGL" setting to obtain the desired setting?, please let me know and I will add your tip to the Nvidia thread which will help other Nvidia card owners!.

Uzi

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:11:46 pm

Hi Wolfman,

Yes, that's correct. Nvidia X Server Setting & change the slider from Quality to Performance or all the way over as I have to High Performance. Hasn't changed anything that I can see except the freezes. I have had 2 in the last few days only. One on shutdown of pc & one on exit from Wine.

My cable internet is down at the moment so using my Smarphone. When I get connected again I will look to roll back to 310 driver from the latest 319 & see if that works better.

Cheers

Uzi.

Wolfman

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:45:34 am

Hi Uzi,

well I will hold of for a while and wait until you give us feedback on the driver change before I make any changes to the Nvidia thread!. Good luck.

Uzi

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:23:49 am

Wolfman,

OK, here is where I am at. I uninstalled the 319 driver which was the recommended one from 'get new drivers' in System Tools. I tried to activate the previous one on the list which was 304. Wouldn't let me do that. Tried to activate 319 again - wouldn't let me. Rebooted the pc & ran 'get new drivers' again. Failed. So now no Nvidia settings or drivers installed.

So I did the commands you posted in an earlier post:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Strange thing is it did not download 319 but 304 :o which I am now running. Time to see if it runs better but it does seem that the 319 driver is where the issues are.

BTW, I also tried the instrictions from here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5213 and it couldn't find driver 313.

I will report back on how the 304 driver performs in a day or 2.

madvinegar

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34:24 am

For your info, you can get the 319 driver like this:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-319
sudo nvidia-xconfig

and then reboot.

Uzi

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36:41 am

MV,

319 is what I had & it loads up in the 'Additional Drivers' in the System Settings. That isn't the issue as it is the one that is displayed as Recommended, it is the one that I activated. It seems that it is causing issues & creating random freezes. Using Wolfmans commands Nvidia 304 was selected. Perhaps this is actually the correct one for my card which is around 3 years old or this one the 310 as my card Geforce 9500GT is listed and it is newer than the 304:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

I will see how the 304 pans out 1st but 'maybe' the issue lies with the 'Additional Drivers' tool selecting the wrong driver & the Terminal commends select the correct one......... or both are wrong as it looks like 310 may be the correct driver.. Complicated isn't it :roll:

Wolfman

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56:39 am

Hi Uzi,

I have an Nvidia GT430 card and use the 304 drivers no problem, I always go with what the system suggests rather than what is simply put out there and update for the sake of it, if the additional drivers tool offered you 304, I would stick with that and see first!.

I must point out that any games I have tried on my PC are a bit dodgey when it comes to running under Linux in general!.

Uzi

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:11:55 am

Sorry to say but it is worse using 304. Back to unstable. 319 set to High Performance is best even though it still has the occassional freeze.

I have Windows XP with Zorin 6.4 dual boot. The XP has a bug causing it to reboot & I dont use it. I am going to back up Zorin & reformat my drives so I have just a fresh install of Zorin as my sole OS. That way I eliminate all but a fault with my computer or Zorin.

Lets see if the other issues I have had are still there too. Report back in a day or 2.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:23:54 am

Just to point out for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, it is very important to run a full update after installing any graphics card drivers regardless of the manufacturer!, this applies to Nvidia; ATI/AMD and Intel graphic chips!.

The above update may require a 2nd restart of your PC, but it is well worth the wait!.

Uzi

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23:35 am

Wolfman,

Full update done earlier today & that is when the freezes started again :cry:

Wolfman

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:11:16 am

Hi Uzi,

did you happen to notice whether or not there were kernel updates during the update process?.

Have you tried booting into an earlier kernel?, I know you said you were having problems accessing the recovery menu, keep hitting the "Shift" key as soon as your PC starts and you might just get into to the recovery menu where you can also try running "FSCK"!!!!!.

Did you install the full "Mono" package in the meantime again?.

Uzi

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:33:50 am

Hi Wolfman,

I have just finished kicking Windows off my PC and am now running Zorin 6.4 64 bit exclusively. Repopulating it at the moment with my programs, like Firefox, SMplayer etc.

I tried the recovery screen on 1st restart & same issue, just goes to a black screen. It has to be Graphics card issue.

I am not going to add any files or do any changes for a day or 2 to see if it remains stable - so no WINE use for now.

I will keep you updated on progress.

Uzi.

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:02:02 pm

Just to add, if you do decide to install wine, don't go above 1.4. I installed 6.2 Ultimate the other week and was trying to see if I could convert .dmg (Mac install files) to .img or .iso files but you need iTunes to do this. So I thought I would see if I could get 1.5 installed - it reported that this is outdated and 1.6 needed dependencies so would not install and suggested 1.7 - I lost Zorin DE! and was left with Gnome with and Gnome without effects! ;)

Uzi

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:41:19 pm

Swarf

I haven't got a clue as to what you just said :o :lol:

I only use Wine so far for playing Sins of a Solar Empire (the bext space strategy game EVER) & since the reinstall I am already getting some worrying signs without using WINE at all.

I have had 2 'events' so far:

1. Changed settings for Nvidia to Performance. Got a Zorin internal error message of a crash relating to Nvidia settings.

2. While doing nothing at all, Zorin locked up. I am guessing it went to suspend and froze because I hadn't switched off the Lock & suspend features.

When I rebooted the Zorin 'Z' menu button on the left bottom changed to the orange Ununtu logo and the right bottom power button changed from orange to grey. This option is what I normally see in 'Radiance' stting.

Clearly, WINE has nothing to do with the graphics issues. Either I have a Nvidia card issue or Zorin does. If this does not stabilize then testing another Distro may be my only other recourse to eliminate where the problem lies. Suggestions as to which are welcome. FYI Mint does not load at all & Debian reported a failure with Plymouth when I tried it.

madvinegar

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:12:42 pm

Your freezes MAY be caused by "apport". Disable it and see if you get any freezes or error messages again.
In terminal write:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/apport

Change the line that says "enabled=1" to "enabled=0".
Save, exit and reboot.

(P.s. If needed, to enable it again, you just change 0 to 1.)

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:51:06 pm

HI Uzi, I will keep it plain; what version of Wine do you currently have installed?

Uzi

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42:39 pm

madvinegar wrote:Your freezes MAY be caused by "apport". Disable it and see if you get any freezes or error messages again.
In terminal write:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/apport

Change the line that says "enabled=1" to "enabled=0".
Save, exit and reboot.

(P.s. If needed, to enable it again, you just change 0 to 1.)

MV,

You could be on to something here. It was set to 1 and the messages are happening often as in this

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

Swarf,

WINE is the default version that is bundled with Zorin but as already stated it is NOT causing the freezes.

Uzi.

Uzi

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:39:45 am

nope - that didn't work. Seems to me that Zorin has caught the Windows updates bug. I cant think of anything else that can be the cause of this except an update. Zorin worked great for weeks then this even after 100% clean install. Even Firefox is running slow.

Going to try out some other Distros & see if this is just Zorin or Ubuntu issue..............or whether it proves something is wrong with my PC.

I will be back if it is my PC.

Uzi.

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:49:03 am

Hi Uzi, I can tell you this much: I am running PearOS 8 Beta 2 at the moment and Firefox (23) freezes all the time. I just had to install Opera (that is what I am using to write this). I have seen other posters having issues with 6.3. In view of a recent posting of madvinegars on LTS I am hoping to reinstall version 6.0 of Zorin Ultimate sometime this weekend. I notice that at point of install Zorin tends to point to a US server for updates and that has caused issues in the past as Zorin has been looking for an imaginery 86 kb update that clearly does not reside on the US Server - also bearing in mind that in the 'land of the free' (that's a joke :lol: ) they are not allowed to have certain codecs in place on distros for legal (MPAA et al) reasons! Sorry I have been out of it lately and we don't always have time to wade through previous postings on threads - have you experienced improved updates by changing to either 'Main Server' or telling Update Manager/synaptic to search for the best server for your location?

Uzi

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:46:43 pm

Swarf

From day 1 it seems that some minor issues exist within Zorin. Windows too large to fit, windows black / white issue that needs complicated instructions to sort. These are minor but the problems are just too many over the last couple of weeks. Clearly some update has caused this.

I am now testing Linux Lite with no issues. All my programs - SMplayer, WINE, Firefox, Thunderbird etc all run smoothly & after I activate Compiz & Conky Lua, it will look & feel much the same as Zorin. I will see then if it remains stable or crashes. So far no issues at all

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:17:27 pm

Well glad you are making some progress, even though it is not Zorin! Could you post us your complete specification?

1. Motherboard and Processor

2. Model of nvidia card and GPU

3. Amount of RAM

I am still drawn to this! :)

LANGUAGE WARNING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw

Uzi

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38:10 pm

Pentium Dual Core E5400 @ 2.70 GHz

Nvidia Geforce 9500GT

My last graphic card was Radeon & it was c***.

Thanks to you, Wolfman, MV & Datak (?) for all the time invested in me & my problems. I have really tried but these crashes are just too much. If I get them using Linux Lite then I will look to getting some new kit & I will be back to Zorin. You have taught me a lot about Linux & switching me off Microsoft forever, which, I think is Zorins mission. So job well done.

Uzi.

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:18:18 pm

Sorry if this is a repeat post but was this ever mentioned?:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-nvidia ... 04-by-ppa/

Found you had done this a few posts back but noticed in your post you had not placed the 'x-org edgers' one in - could that be the 'missing link'?

Wolfman

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:07:14 pm

Hi Uzi,

just out out of interest; did you install Zorin Lite or a different OS?.

Uzi

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:48:00 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Uzi,

just out out of interest; did you install Zorin Lite or a different OS?.

Hi Wolfman,

I installed Linux Lite.

I must say that Zorin is great for the Windows to Linux transition (its stated mission) but I have had to learn so much about Terminal commands & using Synaptic that adding what I want to Linux Lite is quick & easy.

As it stands, I have added my favorites programs, WINE, Skype, FotoXX, Shotwell, Deja Dup, Tixati (bitorrent client that runs the blocklist), Firefox, Thunderbird etc from Synaptic.

All looks the same now as Zorin. Played my game on WINE and after 2 days no issues & no crashes. The only things I need now is to configure Compiz to get Wobbly Windows and other eye candy and then add Conky Lua. The only other thing is AWN.

As both are based on Ubuntu 12.4 it all feels very familiar. I will add some screen shots when I finish setting up.

Uzi

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:02:07 am

Well Compiz done - needs tweaking but Wobbly Windows are working.

Conky Lua loaded & working.

Looks much the same as my Zorin desktop now

Screenshot.jpg

So far all stable. No freezes. Could the culprit be AWN?

Uzi

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25:41 pm

Nice work Uzi! :D

Wolfman

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:00:56 am

Hi Uzi,

the culprit may well be AWN but I don't know, it might just be something else that no one can put there finger on!!?????.

At least you have a working PC now!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have you considered Zorin Lite as an alternative?.

I will take a look at Linux Lite myself, it looks interesting and I have a buddy (I said buddy and not mate cos he's a Yank! :mrgreen:) that wants Linux on an old PC, I want to see the diffrence between Zorin Lite and Linux Lite!.

Uzi

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02:06 am

Wolfman,

As you pointed out Zorin Lite is on short time support whereas Linux Lite is LTS. As for AWN, I may add it after backup just to see if it does anything but not until I give it a good few days test using all my usual programs to see if a freeze occurs ist.

Cheers MATE ;)

Uzi.

Alb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:21:08 am

I have been using Zorin on two laptops for a while. One IBM thinkpad R51 with Zorin lite and a Dell Vostro 1000 with Zorin 6 lts.
Since about a month ago both of them occasionally hang. The only thing I can do then is shut it down with the power button.
It looks like this all started after an update. I was hoping that a later update would solve the problem but no luck so far.

Is this a problem that also other user experience and is there a sollution for it?

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17:10 pm

OK, decided to use my duckduckgo head and found this - not the top of the returns from the search but an interesting read, nonetheless:

http://www.flyingpenguin.com/?p=17668

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21:37 pm

We should not overlook datek1's (R.I.P. friend) posting here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4306

Uzi

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19:36 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, decided to use my duckduckgo head and found this - not the top of the returns from the search but an interesting read, nonetheless:

http://www.flyingpenguin.com/?p=17668

Swarf,

From June to September, I had no freezes (blog said the fix was in July) but sometime in September this started & even complete reinstalls ie 6.3 to 6.4 didn't fix it. Since installing Linux Lite (also based on Ubuntu 12.04) I have had no freezes to date.

BTW, the blog also says the mouse worked but mine froze too.

Uzi.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:43:49 am

Hi Uzi - I never got round to installing 6.3 and 6.4 - and that might be the issue - I have only just (last night) gone back to the 'original' 12.04 of Zorin - 6.0. I did not connect to the internet during install and I am going to change the update settings to Main Server / UK server to see what happens.

What kernel is LinuxLite using?

Uzi

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:17:20 pm

Tell me how to find out & I will tell you.

madvinegar

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:18:49 pm

Uzi wrote:Tell me how to find out & I will tell you.

In terminal write
Code:
uname -a

Uzi

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:01:31 pm

3.2.0-40-generic-pae

madvinegar

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:34:47 pm

So you are using the 12.04 LTS kernel 3.2

Wolfman

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:05:16 am

Alb wrote:I have been using Zorin on two laptops for a while. One IBM thinkpad R51 with Zorin lite and a Dell Vostro 1000 with Zorin 6 lts.
Since about a month ago both of them occasionally hang. The only thing I can do then is shut it down with the power button.
It looks like this all started after an update. I was hoping that a later update would solve the problem but no luck so far.

Is this a problem that also other user experience and is there a sollution for it?

HI,

have you done a full system update in the meantime?, try running "DPKG" per this guide and also check your software sources list to make sure that all the update boxes have a tick in them!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable is required for the above to work!.

I cannot say whether or not this will solve your problem but it might, Uzi said he could enter recovery mode and maybe you will have more luck!.

@Uzi,

I tried out Linux Lite and it is nice, I did have a problem with the Skype microphone which I solved using this link:

http://howterrorisminindia.blogspot.de/ ... ested.html

(see also: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023 )

Uzi

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:36:00 am

What I like so far is being able to just add what i want & not have stuff I dont need included, of course still some of that. Only issues I have so far are Compiz related & that is down to me learning how to use it.

If Nvidia is not a good idea with Linux/Ubuntu, what would be a good choice for my http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.70GHz to replace my Geforce 9500GT ?

EDIT = ok getting REALLY confused now. I Googled Linux Graphics card & the replies all seem to recommend Nvidia as the BEST :o

This for example:

Intel has the best open source drivers under Linux, however the performance on Intel GPUs is mostly only suitable for desktop use though, which might be a problem when playing games. Intel is catching up with the GPU performance and their new GPU (GT3) in Haswell is rumored to be a pretty fast GPU.

If you want raw performance and don't mind using a blob driver i would recommend a nVidia card. However I would avoid the older Fermi based cards such the GTX 480 though, due to their power and heat problems, but the new Kepler based GPUs such as the GeForce GTX 660 is a pretty awesome video card.

I would not recommend a AMD / ATi video card anymore, the Linux support on them is very poor compared to Intel and nVidia and AMD is VERY SLOW at supporting new versions of Xorg and the Linux Kernel even before AMD made massive layoffs. My final straw with AMD graphics under Linux was its gawd awful 2D acceleration and TF2 support with its Crapalyst drivers.

Also the main reason Linus gave nVidia the bird, was because of nVidia's poor effort with their Tegra support under Linux and then having that douche Jersey Shore reject CEO blaming bad Android and Linux drivers for poor sales of their Tegra arch.

So, am I better just getting a newer Nvidia card?

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:51:42 am

When datek1 was with us he recommended me nvidia GT310 (or is it 610) - anything higher than that and you are asking for trouble! ;)

Uzi

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:15:33 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:When datek1 was with us he recommended me nvidia GT310 (or is it 610) - anything higher than that and you are asking for trouble! ;)

Do you mean This _

http://www.goods.ph/Galaxy_Nvidia_GeFor ... kLQp84vBxA

Great price - works out around GBP30 8-)

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:29:59 pm

It may well have been that, sadly I don't have access to the information anymore!

Wolfman

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:43:36 am

Hi Uzi,

I have an Nvidia GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW graphics card and I am using the 304 drivers, it seems fine to me, it may be that Ubuntu just doesn't like your PC; I don't really know?. I do know that I don't have problems with the card in general, it may be down to Compiz under Zorin?, I have just installed a daily build of Ubuntu 13.10 and installed the 304 drivers and my baby is purring like a kitten, I have a 64 Bit PC but prefer to install 32 Bit systems as it seems to run a tad better!.

Whether a high-end graphics card will solve your problem is in the lap of the gods I suppose!, they aren't really that expensive!.

Updating the system after installing the graphic card drivers is paramount as the system must add more packages for the graphic card after installing the Nvidia drivers and requires 2 full restarts!.

Can you access recovery mode with Linux Lite?.

Uzi

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:07:09 am

Strange thing is, because I am not dual booting, I dont get any boot options at all. The system just boots up so no option for a recovery mode shows. Did a search & that pointed me to this line in Default

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

but that reads as correct, so answer would be no to your question but for a different reason to Zorin.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:16:08 am

Hi Uzi,

do/did you press the "Shift Key" as soon as your PC starts?. Even on a single OS system you should be able to enter the recovery menu by doing that!.

madvinegar

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:31:14 am

Exactly. When you are NOT dual booting, the grub menu comes up only of you press and keep pressed the shift key during boot. At least this is how it's done in ubuntu.

Uzi

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00:26 am

Shift worked :D Recovery mode did not :roll:

I have had this black screen issue with LiveCD on some distros like Ubuntu & Linux Mint. Did some checking & found that I could get both working by selecting nomodset in Ubuntu & compatability mode in Mint. I see no signs on trouble on my motherboard CPU with heat or high figures so guessing this is the Graphics card.

Uzi.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08:57 pm

Hi Uzi,

if shift worked, what menu and options did it show you?, normally the 2nd option would be recovery mode!.

Uzi

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:04:20 am

if shift worked, what menu and options did it show you?, normally the 2nd option would be recovery mode!.

The menu option was there but after clicking it, just like with Zorin, I just got a black screen.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:10:40 am

Hi Uzi,

I recommend you try out "Boot Repair" which you will need to create a bootable disk to use:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It is a very useful tool and has saved me on several occasions!.

If by pressing "shift" you still aren't getting a full menu, I can only assume that the is something wrong with GRUB and this should in theory; solve the problem!.

Uzi

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02:17 am

I recommend you try out "Boot Repair" which you will need to create a bootable disk to use:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It is a very useful tool and has saved me on several occasions!.

If by pressing "shift" you still aren't getting a full menu, I can only assume that the is something wrong with GRUB and this should in theory; solve the problem!.

Wolfman,

Thanks for that. I will give that a try.

Back to Zorin issues. I am starting to think the freezes may be caused by Compiz - correct me if I am wrong, Zorin does use it for the eye candy like wobbly windows? Well I installed it on Linux Lite & it was just so buggy. Wobbly windows worked but other things were very hit & miss.

Then I saw this video on using Kwin instead.....AWESOME, easy & simple to install and configure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xTiTUiIng

So far, I am a week in and no freezes or wierd bugs. Zorin is king for switching over from Windows & if it runs without issues, then its the best there is but Linux Lite is very stable & easy to add just what you want on your pc via Synaptic.

Uzi

Wolfman

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:20:04 am

Hi Uzi,

true that Compiz can cause problems as you only need to look at the thread for the Nividia fix to see that, it may be that Compiz is simply not fit to run on all PC's, I don't use the eye candy myself so I have not mucked around with any of the settings. What adverse affect removing Compiz would/might have on their systems is anybodies guess if any so only remove it if you really know what you are doing!.

Warning: Removing Compiz could seriously damage your OS!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/182160/h ... ove-compiz

The Boot Repair disk is a really good thing to keep on hand as it can be used for people that only have Windoze installed too!.

Alb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:19:23 pm

Dear wolfman,

I havent tried a full system update as describeb but I did a new install with all the updates. And still the same problem.
Is an update still usefull?

And since both of my laptops started having this problem at te same time, I can not believe that I am the only Zorin-user experiencing this. Or am I?

regards Albert

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:54:40 pm

Well, I have finally got round to reinstalling Zorin 6.0 Ultimate once more. I have updated and upgraded and so far no issues apart from stickiness to do with ndiswrapper files needed for completion of installing the wireless drivers. Used madvinegar's guide which helped tremendously, but had issues after updating to kernel 3.2.0.53 - this was down to it not finding dkms and other module needed as not present in the new kernel! So far everything is going swimmingly. Using Opera 12.16 - removed Chrome. Also installed Midori which is a useful alternative for browsing but pretty useless for uploading!

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:11:30 pm

OK, Well I think I have 'bottomed' the issue as far as 6.0 goes - everything runs fine up to installing Kernel 3.2.0-53 - after 3.2.0-54 - THAT's when the proverbial hits the fan!

Wolfman

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:57:32 am

Alb wrote:Dear wolfman,

I havent tried a full system update as describeb but I did a new install with all the updates. And still the same problem.
Is an update still usefull?

And since both of my laptops started having this problem at te same time, I can not believe that I am the only Zorin-user experiencing this. Or am I?

regards Albert

Hi Albert,

have you checked out the update guide and run "DPKG" the way I suggest?, a network cable is required to run DPKG:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Installing updates is important especially from a security point of view!.

Often running updates will solve the little porblems that some people are having, it also depends on your PC's specs, some PC's simply don't like Linux although 99% of them run it no problem.

Did you do a disk install?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Burning the disk at the wrong speed can kill a system from the start!.

Run "DPKG" as I suggest and let us know what happens please.

Alb

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:10:55 pm

Ok, I tried the dpkg now. The first time the computer even hung during the process. I ran it again and it completed.
When I first started Zorin the upper and lower bars at the screen were gone, but after a few restarts it got better.

Now I got zoneminder running again and will see what happenes.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, Well I think I have 'bottomed' the issue as far as 6.0 goes - everything runs fine up to installing Kernel 3.2.0-53 - after 3.2.0-54 - THAT's when the proverbial hits the fan!

Well 3.2.0-53 locking up, but now 3.2.0-54 seems to have stabilised - will report back if future kernel upgrades cause issues.

Alb

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:34:32 am

Hello mr Wolfman!

The laptop with Zorin 6 has been running without problems since the dpkg!

Yesterday I tried this sollution on the Zorin lite too but that one failed during the making of the wired connection. It stopped at a point where it said someting about Bluetooth.
And since I tried that the Grub-menu doesnt proceed automatically. It stops at the menu where I have to press enter to make the first choice. Before it would hold there for a while and if no choice was made, it would proceed the first option.
Any idea how to fix this?

Wolfman

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18:37 pm

Hi,

boot your PC fully and open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

which will repair Grub for you, whilst you have the terminal open, also paste this command and restart your PC:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let us know if it works.