This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to remove unwanted updates?

Uzi

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:49:30 am

I get daily updates as requested. I unchecked a batch (around 6) of updates for Gwibber a couple of days ago because I dont have it installed. The trouble is, they are included every day & I have to uncheck again. Windows has a check box - dont inform me again. How do I stop notifications I dont want telling about?

Wolfman

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:07:10 am

Hi Uzi,

you can change the period of the updates via the Software Settings menu in Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Updates and make them look like mine:
Software & Updates_025.jpg

If you have apps you don't want, you can select them via search in Synaptic and mark them with a right click and "Mark For Complete Removal".

If you know the name of the app, you can use the remove command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove gwibber

The above is an example, replace "gwibber" with the name of the app you want to remove!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Uzi

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:00:53 pm

My point is I dont have Gwibber but updates for it keep appearing on the updates. I have to keep unchecking them to stop downloading them but next update they are still there & I have to uncheck again.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:31:31 pm

Hi Uzi,

try installing it and removing it again and see what happens!.

Uzi

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:09:12 am

I have never had Gwibber installed. Cant see how installing it now would work.

This is what I get

Screenshot.jpg

Wolfman

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:48:30 am

Hi Uzi,

I think it is a part of the package "Online Accounts" but I am not really sure as there are several plugins, I reckon that's what it is though, do you have any online accounts set-up?.
Online Accounts_026.jpg

Uzi

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25:51 am

NOPE

Wolfman

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25:48 pm

Hi,

if you aren't using it, remove with the following terminal command and see if things change:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove gnome-online-accounts

Uzi

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25:13 pm

Well I tried that after finding the Online Accounts (in System Settings) and the box was completely empty. After uninstalling it, I rebooted and it STILL comes up with those GWIBBER updates. Strange there isn't a way to say dont tell me about these again :o In theory this list will get longer & longer as I choose not to install updates.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:15:03 am

Hi Uzi,

there is a way, you need to note thte names of all the unwanted packages on paper, then open Synaptic and search for each package by name and mark them go to "Package" at the top of the panel then "Lock", this will stop them updating. Once done, click on Apply.

This is the only way I know, a bit long winded but it does work!.

Uzi

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:36:20 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Uzi,

there is a way, you need to note thte names of all the unwanted packages on paper, then open Synaptic and search for each package by name and mark them go to "Package" at the top of the panel then "Lock", this will stop them updating. Once done, click on Apply.

This is the only way I know, a bit long winded but it does work!.

Wolfman,

This looks a likely option for success I think. I went to Synaptic to look based on your reply & saw 'NOT INSTALLED' and there was GWIBBER. Right click & the option comes up "Mark for Removal'

Gwibber.jpg

Hopefully this will take all the add ons with it. I will let you know if it works.

Uzi.

Uzi

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29:47 am

Well that didn't work either :evil: It did remove all the other items in Synaptic but the updates are still showing. Still dont understand how it wants me to update something I dont have. Hmmm....!!

Wolfman

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:05:48 pm

Hi Uzi,

maybe/possibly there is still something there related to Gwibber but I honestly don't know, keep searching and you may fiind something!!.

Sorry I cannot be of more help!. :cry:

Uzi

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:45:05 pm

Hey Wolfman,

We make a great team, I have the questions, you have some answers, I look where you point and find:

Gwibber.jpg

which selected these

Gwibber 2.jpg

................and POOF they've gone :D

Mark as resolved 8-)

Thanks again.

BTW i have updates for Bluetooth and guess what...... I know how to get rid of them too ;)

Uzi.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:47:26 pm

Seek and ye shall find my son!!. :D :D :D :D

Mark as solved!.