This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] updates and "downdates"

pp4mnklinux

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:01:33 am

Hello everybody:

First of all I want to underline that I tried to find this answer at previous posts but I have difficulties with the search option (i CANT USE IT CORRECTLY because or my question is so specific that I obtain NO result or the opposite, is so general that I obtain Hundreds)

Can anyone tell me where is situated the guide to upgrade and dont loose your settings, programms and configurations:...

In the other way, I have installed Zorin 6.3 and in search of velocity Wolfman suggested me to use Zorin Lite... Is there a possibility to use this last one (change 6.3 core by Lite) without the neecesity of reinstalling all the system ( From Zorin 6.3 Core, install Zorin Lite or modify the first one in that way I low its hardware necesities)

THANKS IN ADVANCE

(As you know, In windows there are a lot of options you can change when u want to modify your computer use. Options for increase performance, options to modify grafics quality.... is there something I can modify at linux to increase speed (vg.- eliminate compiz...))

Wolfman

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37:56 pm

Hi,

you can remove compiz completely with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove compiz

it will auto remove any other packages associated with Compiz.

Basically, remove any main apps you don't need with the above command, just replace the package name "compiz" with the name of the app you want to remove!.

If you want to install a different version of Zorin, use the "Something Else Method" !!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Please bear in mind that you shouldn't mix and match the different Linux versions with this method because it can cause a problem with the settings config files in the various versions!!.

I don't really know what settings you can make to speed up your PC sorry!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

pp4mnklinux

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:13:33 pm

Hi, and thanks for your help.

But... there are any way to know what programs I can unnistall without loosing a lot about zorin core and increasing speed a lot.

Thanks a lot

Anonymous

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:12:29 pm

What setup are you running Zorin OS on. CPU > Ram > Make/Model. Reason you have me curious.
I think you have something else causing you problems in the background that is making you hover over speed issues.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:18:56 pm

pp4mnklinux wrote:Hi, and thanks for your help.

But... there are any way to know what programs I can unnistall without loosing a lot about zorin core and increasing speed a lot.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

removing individual apps is not going to hurt your Zorin system!, just remove apps you think/know you don't need, you can always re-install them if the need arises!.

pp4mnklinux

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43:00 pm

Hello everybody and thanks a lot WolfMan. In the end your solution is what i'll do. I'll try to make my system as light as I can

Related to my system config is middle class. CPU i3, 4gb RAM, 4 fans, my mother board is relatively good (I can't tell u the model because I'm not at my PC. Monitor 23 inches, 3 ways speakers, wifi connection, HTTC...al last...middle class, My system is really fast...but I'm an speed fanatic, and I can do every needed act to increase speed , and I want it;) }

Have a nice day u all

pp4mnklinux

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08:46 pm

Hi Wolfman:

As I wrote, I tried to unistall programs (in this case a game I dont need) using sudo apt-get uninstall ....... but this is the result:
"
***@XXX-GA-73VM-S2:~$ sudo apt-get remove FreeCell Solitaire
[sudo] password for ***:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package FreeCell
E: Unable to locate package Solitaire
***@XXX-GA-73VM-S2:~$ "

The same happens when I tried to unistall the game Mines and so on.....

*** => name of the admin ( I deleted it)

Is it the same if I unistall the programs using the software center or it looses a lot of stuff¿¿¿

Wolfman

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:05:55 am

Hi,

your command "sudo apt-get remove FreeCell Solitaire" has upper case letters which is why it won't remove it!!, only use lower case letters like this:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove freecell solitaire

pp4mnklinux

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:48:48 am

Thanks Wolfman.... but although I copy your sudo order... my computer continues telling me the same.

The problem is not a problem if I can uninstall the programs using the software center (I love to use it if the result is the same, that is if they uninstall the program completely)

See the message when I tried to unistall `mines' using this method

***@xxx-GA-73VM-S2:~$ sudo apt-get remove mines
[sudo] password for ***:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mines
***@xxx-GA-73VM-S2:~$

So please; can u tell me if the result is the same if you use the software center to uninstall programs ¿?¿?¿?

Wolfman

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:03:26 am

Hi,

you must make sure that the correct package name is used to remove any package, you cannot remove "mines" because it doesn't exist, there is however kmines and gnome-mines!!!.

Type the correct package name and you won't have a problem or use Synaptic to remove the apps one after the other!. Right click the package and "Mark For Complete Removal".