This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Suspicious Updates?

Dabrudda

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56:59 pm

Yesterday I noticed the Software Updater windows stay open like there were updates to install but the list is empty. The Software Updater said there is 288kB of updates to install but nothing in the list of updates or any technical description.

I opened a terminal window and ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and the following updates were displayed as available to install...
apport
apport-gtk
python3-apport
python3-problem-report

The Software Updater and the terminal apt-get update/upgrade do not coincide. What are these updates? Synaptic Package Manager displays that apport is not installed. I have submit crash reports disabled and don't see any reason for this to even be installed on my system.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:59:48 am

Hi,

open synaptic and type "apport" in search and see if you have any "Apport" packages there at all, if you don't want them, right click each package and mark for complete removal!.
Synaptic Package Manager _027.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

Dabrudda

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:15:08 pm

In synaptic, apport has a grey box with an exclamation mark in it "Installed (upgradable)"

If I mark it for complete removal the packages such as Ubuntuone would be removed.

I would attach a screenshot but can't get the picture to show up in this post.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:03:44 am

Hi,

if you don't use Ubuntuone, remove it along with Apport!.

Dabrudda

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:28:53 am

This happened again. I took a screenshot of the Software Updater which shows 1.6 Mb to be downloaded but no updates are listed and nothing in the technical description.

I run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and the following updates are listed to be downloaded and installed.

Updates.jpg

Dabrudda

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34:32 am

Same thing on a laptop I setup the other day.

You will notice the invisible updates showing up in the terminal but not in the Software Updater

Updates2.jpg

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33:00 am

Hi,

try changing your software download location per the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Dabrudda

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11:20 pm

I changed to another server to retrieve updates but the same thing happens.

I use Bleachbit to clean off junk files. Do you think Bleachbit clears off something that may affect the Software Updater?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:40:43 pm

Hi,

that is possible but doubtful!!.

When you did your install, did you do so with a disk and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

It may account for your current problem!.