This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin7 - Ati Radeon

adrian5750

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:40:03 pm

HI
I'm new here <grin>
Have just installed Zorin7 Lite - and I'm pleasantly surprised at how painless it was (long-time Windows user!)

At the moment - just one thing that's bothering me.
This machine is a Dell Vostro, with the Ati Radeon dual-monitor card -
the dual-monitor bit is working finr, but I don;t seem to be able to get a hi-resolution screen.

I followed the instructions in the Zorin6 post-install guide -

--quote--
Now install your graphic card drivers via the System Settings menu, right click on the top panel Computer Icon > “System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers" and select the “Recommended version for your card, install them (“Activate”) and restart your PC. (ATI and Nvidia only!)
--unquote--

but can't find an 'additional drivers' option under 'hardware'...

What am I doing wrong, please ?

Thanks
Adrian

Wolfman

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:57:36 pm

Hi,

did you read further?:

In Zorin OS 7 Lite, the additional drivers tool is now intergrated in Synaptic, open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers and select the proprietary driver, older ATI card drivers may not be available and I advise you to use the onboard drivers if you have an older ATI graphics card!.

You can download drivers from here but use them at your own risk if you cannot find any in Synaptic!!:

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/install ... rs-in.html

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Regards Wolfman :D

adrian5750

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:56:00 pm

HI Wolfman
Thanks for the fast response!

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

did you read further?:

In Zorin OS 7 Lite, the additional drivers tool is now intergrated in Synaptic, open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers and select the proprietary driver, older ATI card drivers may not be available and I advise you to use the onboard drivers if you have an older ATI graphics card!.

Yes - I did read further - but it didn't help me a lot <grin>
In Synaptic > Settings > Additional Drivers the list is empty.....
says 'no proprietary drivers are in use' ....??

Wolfman wrote:You can download drivers from here but use them at your own risk if you cannot find any in Synaptic!!:

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/install ... rs-in.html

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Hmm - tried downloading the nooslab drivers.
Everything seemed to download - gave me an ATI Update icon, which I clicked.
It asked for a password, which I gave it - it then closed the window & nothing happened...

System settings say that driver is Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610.

What should I do now ?
Thanks
Adrian

Wolfman

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:54:50 am

Hi,

try installing the package "arandr" via the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install arandr

ARandR is a visual front end for XRandR 1.2/1.3 (per display options), which
provides full control over positioning, saving and loading to/from shell
scripts and easy integration with other applications.

What graphics card do you have?, run the following terminal command to determine which one it is:

Code:
lspci

and look for this part:

"VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)" (This is my graphics card!!)

Let us know what graphics card you have, if it is an older ATI card, I think you need the legacy drivers!!. Like I said though, try without those drivers using the Arandr tool first!.

adrian5750

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37:45 pm

HI

lspci reports

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]

I've installed the 'arandr' software - which allows system settings | displays to change the resolution to 1360 x 768 - which is native for these two Goldstar screens. Maybe what was confusing me was that the icons and menus look somewhat 'larger' than they did under winxp - but I guess I can live with that small inconvenience <grin>

Now I see that there's a 'small icons' option in Libre Office.... that helps.... - I'm guessing that there's somewhere a group of settings to make desktop icons and the menu bar a bit smaller....?

Thanks for your halp - I think we're getting somewhere...

Next step will be to see if I can install a couple of 'essential' Windows programs under wine - one of them is a web authoring package (known as WYSIWYG - excellent piece of software) and the other win 'must have' is the s/w suite that drives a vinyl cutter... I've a feeling that might be more of a problem!

Thanks again
Adrian

Wolfman

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59:53 pm

Hi Adrian,

settings for the panel are covered in the post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

You have an older ATI card and I would just leave it as is with the onboard drivers!!.

I have marked this as solved if that is okay with you?.

adrian5750

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:37:16 pm

That's perfect - thanks!

I've got a couple of other questions - but will raise them as new threads

Thanks
Adrian