This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to get Gnome?

Anonymous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52:29 pm

Have just downloaded Zorin 7 & am happy to say that Wobbly Windows (a great favourite) works out of the box, beautifully. This has convinced me to dump Linux Mint 15, which is now a hash in more ways than one; and the system gets more buggy by trying to get Wobbly to work.
ONE THING: My standard download (64 bit) has the appearance of KDE, which I can't stand. - I prefer either the style of 'Mate' that Mint uses, or Gnome. - How do I modify (or whatever) the current download to look like Mate or Gnome? -- Rgds.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:32:57 pm

viking1au wrote:Have just downloaded Zorin 7 & am happy to say that Wobbly Windows (a great favourite) works out of the box, beautifully. This has convinced me to dump Linux Mint 15, which is now a hash in more ways than one; and the system gets more buggy by trying to get Wobbly to work.
ONE THING: My standard download (64 bit) has the appearance of KDE, which I can't stand. - I prefer either the style of 'Mate' that Mint uses, or Gnome. - How do I modify (or whatever) the current download to look like Mate or Gnome? -- Rgds.

Zorin OS 7 comes with Gnome Classic/Fallback DE.

When you you get ready to sign in with the "password" change over from Zorin OS Dsktop to Gnome Fallback and finish logging in from there.

If you want to install Mate 1.6 Desktop...which works just fine under Zorin OS 7.
The below link is the best reference I can give you relative to Mate > Zorin OS 7.

Link to Mate Desktop installation. > : http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/mate-16 ... it-in.html

Zorin Look Changer also has what your looking for > Gnome2.
Look for it in Main Menu.
I think Wolfman has a tutorial somewhere on how to use the Zorin Look Changer in his post install guide.

Here's the section/link to themes in relation to Zorin OS Desktop > Mate > Gnome Fallback.
And everything is self explanatory in that section on how to whatever.
Everything in that section has been tested to be perfectly stable.

Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4870

Anonymous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01:25 pm

What happens if one has ticked 'Login Automatically' at installation stage? It seems not to give this option. - Rgds.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12:32 am

Hi,

you can change the login type via > System Settings > System > User > Unlock/Lock > Automatic Login Off/On and change to what you want:
User Accounts_032.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D