This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can Zorin OS join an AD domain and enforce GPOs?

ckim44

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20:45 pm

Hi
I was wondering if Zorin OS can join an AD domain and also enforce GPOs via Centrify?
Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

Wolfman

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20:07 am

Hi,

never done it but you can look/start here:

http://www.centrify.com/express/free-ac ... ux-mac.asp

Regards Wolfman :D

ckim44

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:19:33 am

Just returning to let ppl know that it is possible to install Centrify DirectControl Express onto Zorin because Zorin is Ubuntu-based.
You need to edit the install.sh to bypass the OS check because by default it thinks that Zorin 7 is Ubuntu 7.10 (which is not supported).

The script runs fun until it starts to run an executable called adcheck-deb5-x86_64 and this runs its own check to see if there are any items that you need to look at.
I got 2 warnings and 1 serious; the warnings were minor and were only related to services that were not running, while the serious error was about OS compatibility

I continued installation anyways and now I am able to login via AD user profiles.
Local profiles are now disabled; when I input the correct password Zorin simply tells me it is incorrect.

If anyone is interested in the changes I made to the script then let me know and I will post the changes.

I noticed that some packages were not installed but I am not sure if it is because I am using the free version of Centrify or if there is some incompatibility with Zorin.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:06:04 am

Hi,

I don't know anything about it but did you download the agent packages? (whatever they are?):

http://www.centrify.com/express/free-ac ... asp#agents

ckim44

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:39:50 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I don't know anything about it but did you download the agent packages? (whatever they are?):

Hi Wolfman
Yes I have downloaded this from the website
I untarred it and edited the install.sh
I only added 6 lines and didnt remove anything else.

The reason why I got the serious note is because I changed the OS to Zorin instead and so the adcheck_deb5_x86_64 did not recognize Zorin and thus spit out a serious note.
It asked if I want to continue installation and I just said yes since the serious note and the 2 warnings weren't that important.

swarfendor437 wrote:I was also going to mention madvinegar's little trick on changing Zorin's identity when package reports back that it cannot find Ubuntu xx.xx present so won't install. madvinegar - can you make that a [STICKY] please!
:D

Hi swarfendor437
I prefer the way I did it because I do not change anything from Zorin and I pretty much keep the Centrify software 100% stock with the exception of the install.sh
From your description it sounded like he had to trick the Installer to think that this is Ubuntu (am I correct in assuming he had to change something in Zorin for this to happen?). For the install.sh I just put in a few lines to let the installer know that this is Zorin and that it is deb5 based.
It installed just from that alone.

ckim44

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24:50 am

I am installing centrify on debian at the moment to compare functionality
I want to see whats missing first, if there is anything missing

Wolfman

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:42:51 am

Hi,

please keep us posted if you are successful as it will help someone else in the future!.

aminiajluk

Thu May 01, 2014 4:49:44 pm

@ckim44 - did you post the lines that you added to the install.sh file? if not how can i get this from you? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

aminiajluk

aminiajluk

Thu May 01, 2014 4:51:26 pm

ckim44 wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Hi Wolfman
Yes I have downloaded this from the website
I untarred it and edited the install.sh
I only added 6 lines and didnt remove anything else.

The reason why I got the serious note is because I changed the OS to Zorin instead and so the adcheck_deb5_x86_64 did not recognize Zorin and thus spit out a serious note.

It asked if I want to continue installation and I just said yes since the serious note and the 2 warnings weren't that important.

swarfendor437 wrote:I was also going to mention madvinegar's little trick on changing Zorin's identity when package reports back that it cannot find Ubuntu xx.xx present so won't install. madvinegar - can you make that a [STICKY] please!
:D

Hi swarfendor437
I prefer the way I did it because I do not change anything from Zorin and I pretty much keep the Centrify software 100% stock with the exception of the install.sh
From your description it sounded like he had to trick the Installer to think that this is Ubuntu (am I correct in assuming he had to change something in Zorin for this to happen?). For the install.sh I just put in a few lines to let the installer know that this is Zorin and that it is deb5 based.
It installed just from that alone.

What were the lines you added? If you dont mind telling.

Thanks