This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Installed but no luck even after running boot-repair

tjcool28

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46:59 am

I am new to zorin. My problem is that the OS seems to install just fine (asks me to remove dvd and close tray). The computer restarts, however, it goes to a blank screen with a cursor then nothing. It just goes dark. I was trying to install ubuntu (and gave up due this same thing happening). I really don't want to give up due to this looking so much better than Windows OS, however, I will go back to screw-me-soft(hard). Again thank you in advance hope i can get some help.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48:16 am

Hi,

can you see the main Grub menu when booting?, can you select the 2nd option and then the "Recovery Mode" option and start "Network" then run "Dpkg"?. (A network cable is required to run "DPKG"!!) Then restart your PC if you manage to run DPKG with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume"!!!!!.

What are your system specs please?.

Regards Wolfman :D

tjcool28

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:17:30 pm

It boots to and through BIOS, but then nothing just a black screen with blinking cursor. I have a network cable connected at all times. My system is a intel e6420(2.13 ghz dual core2 duo 64-bit) I have three 80 gb hdd one 500gb hdd and one 320 gb external and 3.5 gb RAM.

I have not seen grub once or grub rescue. I downloaded it onto a DVD at lowest speed. Like I previously stated, Installs just fine from what I can see. The install goes all the way to remove disk from tray and hit enter. I do that and it turns off, I turn the computer back on and what I have stated happens, "NOTHING".

Anonymous

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57:08 pm

You sound like you have the normal syndrome of having the wrong drive as 1st = primary.
Anytime you see nothing but a black screen and cursor flashing....999% of the time the wrong hard drive is selected.
You said that you have multiple drives.
Sounds like that's your problem bud !!!! :D :D

When in bios you want to be in the section where as as all the drives are together.
The very first one ( 1 ) press enter and change to another drive....then hit ( F10 ) save/exit.
Wolfman ask you what the specs are on your computer.
In your last response....the last important question from Wolfman was never answered completely.
Your next words on the forum should be the exact " Make and Model " of your system before you do anything else.

tjcool28

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:12:45 am

The system is one I built from pieces here and there. I installed it on my external and that is the hard drive it tries first. Should I format and try reinstalling on one of the internals? or on the same hard drive as my windows XP professional?

Anonymous

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:39:45 am

Install Zorin OS from within the system internally " different drive from XP if you can afford the space."
Then if you have an external drive enclosure > E-SATA you can always yank the drive out and play !!!!
And you will still have XP safe and sound intact, til it's phased out by Microsft officially next year.
You can dual boot, but since you have all those drives, I would keep them separate.
It's your decision on how you go about doing the installation.
Keeping Microsoft and GNU/Linux on separate drives is the safest way to run either.
That's if one can afford the space >>> $$$ :D :D
That's why I like having VMWARE Workstation 9 on my system, for I don't have to worry about those unexpected barriers.

This is what happens when one isn't careful !!!!

Link : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5177

tjcool28

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:23:14 am

Thank you for the quick replies datek 1. My whole system (EVERYTHING) cost $65 by getting free or near free components. Just so I am clear, you said put it on an internal HDD?

Also when I install and after my first reboot, it should go to grub? And if thats the case what do I do next if it goes to grub?

Anonymous

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:35:19 am

tjcool28 wrote:Thank you for the quick replies datek 1. My whole system (EVERYTHING) cost $65 by getting free or near free components. Just so I am clear, you said put it on an internal HDD?

Also when I install and after my first reboot, it should go to grub? And if thats the case what do I do next if it goes to grub?

Wolfman has post installation guides on what to do with whatever version of Zorin OS your installing in the front posted globally.
Look them over real good, and if you have questions later, you can ask Wolfman when he comes around the block.
Do the installation on an internal drive firstly then you can do whatever later. > easiest and safest way without errors !!
Got to head out now !!!!>>Take it easy and watch what your doing very carefully to avoid costly mistakes !!!! :D :D
And read those post installation quides over real good before asking any further questions.

Because they're pretty self explanatory !!!!

Links >

: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

OR

: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

tjcool28

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11:33 am

Finally got it to load! WOW this is awesome. Your advice on installing it worked. I had to pop the case open and switch the SATA cables so the HDD with zorin was in the first slot. Thank you soooo very much.