This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HDMI Support Zorin 6LTS

EricB1984

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:07:27 pm

I have been trying multiple versions of Linux and really like the look and feel of Zorin. However one thing keeps sending me back to Windows 7 on my one computer. I have yet to find a version of Linux that outputs sound out of the HDMI port of my Asus GeForce GT 430 video card. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but my current setup involves it going through my Denon receiver via then into my TV via HDMI. This has been a frustration for a while now. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:36:45 pm

Hi Eric,

have you checked the output using Pulse Audio manager?:

Volume Control_030.jpg

You need to install the package "paman" first, open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install paman libsox-fmt-all

then check your HDMI output like my pic. You will find it under Sound & Video in the menu as "Pulse Audio Manager".

You might need to install the package "sox" if it isn't already installed!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

EricB1984

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:54:44 am

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, as I work strange hours. I installed the pulse audio manager, and the "sox" While playing an MP3 on rhythm box I am watching output to the audio device which is selected as the HDMI out. I made sure all outputs were set to 100% and slowly turned the volume up on the TV. I still have no audio output. For this test, I am using the long term support 64 bit version on an AMD 4000+ with 4GB DDR2 memory and my Asus GeForce GT 430 video card.
Screenshot from 2013-08-24 02_51_54.png
Screen shot while playing

Wolfman

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:42:37 am

Hi,

have you installed the Nvidia drivers?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Use the correct PPA from the above link!.

Also, you may need to mute the normal sound output and only leave the HDMI output active!, That may do the trick!.

Have you also installed the Medibnutu repo and the non-free-codecs pack?, see the post install guide for info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Terminal command after installing the Medibuntu PPA:

sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs faac flac

EricB1984

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51:02 am

So it turns out this site only gives you an email for the first reply. I do not currently have the computer running Zorin. I will try to get to this some point Sunday. That does make total sense about the drivers.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:43:17 am

Hi EricB1984, to keep up-to-date you need to check-mark the box underneath the 'submission window':

notify.jpg

Wolfman

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:56:23 pm

Hi,

just to point out to you that the Medibuntu repo is no longer active and you won't be able to install the "non-free-codecs" pack now!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5451