This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Microsoft Silverlight ?

GKL

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:54:07 am

I was trying to access a site that requires "Microsoft Silverlight" and Microsoft says Silverlight is supposed to be usable on Linux OS but when I click to download and install I get an error message from the microsoft page that says:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /moonlight/redirector.html on this server."

.....what is up with that ?

The Microsoft page itself actually says:

Linux, FreeBSD or SolarisOS

If you are using a Linux, FreeBSD or SolarisOS operating system, please press the Click to Install button to get the appropriate installation package for Silverlight.

(reguarding my printer thread, I am still trying to get Zorin to recognize the printer on my network, will update that thread when I either get it to work or have more questions)

Anonymous

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:09:06 am

GKL Take some time and go through the forum more thoroughly.
The thread about Siverlight is on the front posted globally.
It's kind of hard to miss that thread.
Wolfman posted that a couple of months back !!!!

Link : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4886

I do the same thing all the time. :D :D

GKL

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:35:59 am

datek1 wrote:GKL Take some time and go through the forum more thoroughly.
The thread about Siverlight is on the front posted globally.
It's kind of hard to miss that thread.
Wolfman posted that a couple of months back !!!!

Link : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4886

I do the same thing all the time. :D :D

I had glanced at some of that after doing a search, but since it was from months back I thought things may had changed, especially since the Microsoft page itself still says it supports Linux, that is why it is so puzzling.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:27:03 am

Hi,

as Datek1 pointed out, it is explained fully in the link:

"Starting on May 17, 2013, Microsoft will no longer provide or support the Microsoft Media Pack. The Media Pack was provided to support H.264 and VC-1 video standards for the Moonlight plugin for Linux platforms.

If you are already using this product, you can continue to use it together with Moonlight 4.0.

Because this software is provided "as is," we will no longer provide support services for it. If you continue to use the Media Pack, you must do it at your own risk.

We are retiring this technology because we have noted that the Moonlight project is no longer under active development. Also, the media landscape has shifted away from the support of plugins such as Moonlight and toward the newer HTML5 technologies that have built-in support for the <video/> tag. "

See also:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847523/en-us

Will mark as solved!.

Regards Wolfman :D

GKL

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30:45 pm

OK, thanks, but Microsoft should change their page were they still offer it as a download since new users are not supported.

.....one related question -

Is there another way for Linux users to view sites that require Silverlight, or do us Linux users just have to forget about accessing those sites ?

(I was wondering if there is a Linux friendly program that would allow us to view such sites without Silverlight)

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:54:45 am

Hi,

I found this but it is a bit old:

http://openvideoplayer.sourceforge.net/get-started

Whether or not it has a Linux plugin????.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:34:18 pm

Hi,

check out this link again, there is a new Silverlight clone on the block!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4886