This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cant uninstall

gialam

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:34:17 pm

I want to uninstall the Zorin OS 7 and i cant. i went to http://zorin-os.com/uninstallguide.html and i did follow the direction but the file i see is ext 2 and extanded and no ext 4. PLEASE HELP :(

gialam

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:42:21 pm

wait sorry, only zorin and want to update to windows 8 :ugeek:

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:39:34 am

Hi,

if you want to remove Zorin completely and just install Win8, you can use the Windows partition tool to remove all traces of Zorin (Linux) during the install, please see this guide about partitioning which may help you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

gialam

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35:57 pm

so confusion

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:01:14 pm

Hi,

answer this question please, are you trying to completely remove Linux and install only Windows?.

If not, please try and explain what it is you wish to do so we can help you.

gialam

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:56:54 pm

yes. remove zorin COMPLETELY and install window

gialam

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:34:25 pm

which one is the Zorin partirtion, ext 2 or extanded?

Wolfman

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:54:14 pm

Hi,

if you want to only have to Windows and no reserve partition, right click every partition including the "Extended" for "delete", once you have marked all partitions for deletion, click on apply and it will wipe the drive completely!.

Look at the middle section of this guide, it tells you to leave the Windows partition intact but remove everything!, the principle is the same!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

gialam

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:09:00 am

one quision, i want a new in the box. are you sure this will not make buy another hard drive?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:34:18 am

Hi,

if you want to create a new Windows partition, after you delete all the other partitions, simply right click in the box which should be grey and marked " unallocated" and click on "New" and choose "NTFS" as the format if you only want Windows!!.

gialam

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:41:33 pm

no i dont have any linux machine before

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:48:29 pm

Hi,

when using the windows 8 installer, you can delete all partitions and then let it install itself, there is an option right at the very beginning when it asks you where you want to put Windows, you can delete all partitions and then install Windows automatically afterwards!.

Here are the complete instructions:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8 ... part-1.htm

Take your time reading each page!!.

Good luck!!. :D :D :D :D :D :D

gialam

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:39:53 pm

will i need recovery disc, hope not

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42:38 pm

Hi,

I thought you had a disk, how were you planning to install Windows 8 without a disk??. If you bought a copy over the counter, you won't need a recovery disk!.

gialam

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13:14 pm

a recovery disc, you know, back up disc

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:14:05 am

gialam wrote:a recovery disc, you know, back up disc

Hi,

does your PC have a recovery disk set that you created or the original disk that came with the PC?.

Did you buy a version of Windows from a shop/Ebay?.

If you only have a recovery partition on your PC, you must not delete that partition or you will have to get a disk from someone and use the Windows key which should be on your PC somewhere!. (But that won't be Windows 8 if it is an older PC!)

If you have a recovery partition on your PC, normally when booting; there is an option at the very start of the boot process to press a key like F7 or F11 which will take you to the recovery menu, if you have completely wiped your drive, you need to borrow a disk from a friend and install Windows with that using the number key on your PC!!.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... 23028.html

what version of Windows do you have on your PC????.

gialam

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:51:55 pm

dont understand, dont understand, dont understand, dont understand, and want to download window 8, non window in now. ONLY ZORIN OS 7

Wolfman

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:12:20 am

Hi,

if you want to downlaod a copy of W8, go here to the MS shop:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... nload-shop

Why don't you just buy a copy from your local computer shop?.

What is not to understand, you must explain yourself much more if you want our help, at the moment this thread is going around in ever decreasing circles!!.

Tell us what you want to do, do you want to completely wipe Linux?, do you want to dual boot Windows and Linux together?.

Let us know please.

gialam

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00:40 pm

i want to factory reset!!! there

Anonymous

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:23:36 am

gialam wrote:i want to factory reset!!! there

Sounds like to me that you have "" 0 "" recovery options for Windows 8 !!
People make that kind of mistake all the time..no big deal !!!!

Did you know that you can usually order complete factory restore disks for your system from the manufacture for around $30.00 !!!!

Hint Hint !!!! :roll: :roll: > > It helps us to help you.... to know the Make and Model of your computer.
>> In order to point you in the right direction. <<

Best Buy > ....Tiger Direct by the Florida Mall.
If needed you can get an upgrade copy from either store.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:10:43 am

Wolfman wrote:
gialam wrote:a recovery disc, you know, back up disc

Hi,

does your PC have a recovery disk set that you created or the original disk that came with the PC?.

Did you buy a version of Windows from a shop/Ebay?.

If you only have a recovery partition on your PC, you must not delete that partition or you will have to get a disk from someone and use the Windows key which should be on your PC somewhere!. (But that won't be Windows 8 if it is an older PC!)

If you have a recovery partition on your PC, normally when booting; there is an option at the very start of the boot process to press a key like F7 or F11 which will take you to the recovery menu, if you have completely wiped your drive, you need to borrow a disk from a friend and install Windows with that using the number key on your PC!!.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... 23028.html

what version of Windows do you have on your PC????.

Hi,

I already explained to you about recovery on page 2 of this thread!!. read the above please, you either must press the correct key to enter the recovery menu or use a recovery disk!.

gialam

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:15:17 pm

key dont work and lost recovery dics

Wolfman

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:50:53 am

Hi,

then you are going to have to buy a copy from somewhere, Windows 8 isn't expensive!!.

Are you sure you have no recovery partition?.

gialam

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19:57 pm

ok, let do this again, i cant factory reset computer and i want to

Wolfman

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:40:54 am

Hi,

see last post on page 2.

Do you:

have a complete recovery partition on your drive?

have the Windows 8 key code on your PC?

can you see any option to enter recovery mode when starting your PC?, normally right at the very beginning of the boot process it says on the screen about pressing something like the F7 or F11 key to enter recovery mode!.

If the answer is no to any of the above, you will have to buy a disk!.

http://superuser.com/questions/496493/h ... factory-im

http://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-to- ... windows-8/

gialam

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:43:33 pm

1, yes. 2, have key on disc case. 3, name wat it should say and tried 0 for toshiba.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:01:24 am

Hi,

to the enter the recovery partition, you must press the correct key (F7 or F11 or whatever key it says on your monitor screen at boot up!) as I said before, if you don't know what key it is, post the full details of your PC please so we can look at the system specs!.

If you have the key as you say, also download a copy of Windows 8 from MS and create your own disk and use the key on your PC, I cannot say whether or not it will work 100%:

Try it from here:

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-wind ... microsoft/

The key on your PC is for Windows 8 isn't it???????. If it is for Windows 7 or XP, it won't work!.

You can also look on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... =Microsoft

When you installed Zorin, you were asked during the install as to whether or not you wanted to wipe the disk, did you choose that option, that may be the reason why you cannot find your recovery partition as it erases everything on the entire drive!.

gialam

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:46:03 pm

look, i just tried to delete partition and ded not work. all i want to do is to factory reset toshiba satellite laptop. i tried 0 and F8 but it send me to a place where to select Zorin, Advance options for zorin, Memory test and another Memory test.
can you please help!?!?!?!?

gialam

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37:57 pm

what a grub, where to go, and read my beginning

Wolfman

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:03:05 am

Hi Gialam,

please tell us what your native language is, we can then find information for you in your native language which might help you to understand things better!.

gialam

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11:02 pm

english

gialam

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11:20 pm

in 7th grade 12 year old

NGIB

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:23:19 pm

If you totally wiped the drive, you have wiped out the recovery partition as well. If you did - you will need install media (a Windows DVD) to get it loaded...

Wolfman

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:37:42 am

gialam wrote:in 7th grade 12 year old

Hi gialam,

do you know anyone in your family or maybe a friend of yours that knows anything about computers, there have been several attempts by various people to help you but sadly you don't seem to understand what is required to fix your problem, anyone like a big brother/sister or uncle/aunt/friend/neighbour?.

I can only recommend that you get help from someone as I have given you all the help I can sorry!. Do you have an IT teacher that might be able to help you?.

Let us know how you get on.

gialam

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10:11 pm

i told you, i press f8 and 0. i tried 0 and F8 but it send me to a place where to select Zorin, Advance options for zorin, Memory test and another Memory test.

Wolfman

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:23:20 am

gialam wrote:i told you, i press f8 and 0. i tried 0 and F8 but it send me to a place where to select Zorin, Advance options for zorin, Memory test and another Memory test.

Hi,

you cannot do anything without a original disk or recovery disk of Windows 8 if you have no recovery options on your screen during boot time you cannot re-install Windows 8!!.

This has been explained to you several times, all the links that have been posted on this thread will only help you if you have a version of Windows 8 available!.

Sorry but I cannot be of further help to you.

gialam

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:37:12 pm

no i have a mindow 8 disk but when i put it in, clean install, wont work because cant read the installer and booting window 8, just send me to a place where to select Zorin, Advance options for zorin, Memory test and another Memory test. and from window xp

Wolfman

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04:29 am

Hi,

when you insert the Win8 disk, you must press a key with a few seconds when the message "Press any key to boot from CD" appears on the screen, if you don't press a key (it doesn't matter which key you press), it will boot into the Zorin menu!!.

Once you have booted into the Win8 menu, you can navigate your way through the install process and it is important to delete all partitions and let the Win8 installer do the rest, see the Win8 install guide which was posted earlier in this thread!.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8 ... part-1.htm

IF YOUR PC DOESN'T BOOT FROM THE CD/DVD DRIVE, SEE THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kPfcyrwLas

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... change.htm

It is important to make sure that your PC is set to boot from a disk (CD/DVD) drive!.