This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Nvidia drivers in Zorin

madmax72

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47:05 pm

Hi guys
I'm currently running windows 7 and having serious problems with the latest round of nvidia drivers, as are numerous other windows users. I'm seriously contemplating moving to Zorin and was wondering if anyone is having any problems with the nvidia drivers in Zorin. Although a move to Zorin would probably be the best decision I could make, I need to know if the nvidia drivers are causing problems in Zorin as well before I decide to make the move.
Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:24:09 pm

If you are running Nvidia on any of your machines and the general procedure didn't work for you !!!!
Then this procedure will probably make you a happy camper.

I completed the below task 73 different times when nothing else worked on customers machines !!!!
It has worked everytime as the last resort option.

I've found by reverting back to Grub instead of Grub v2...the system became stable once again.
You can replace one for the other by :

: sudo apt-get install grub

: sudo update-grub

> You need to save config file when asked.

Now you can install these packages to be able to compile the Nvidia kernel module.

: sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic linux-source build-essential

Next install the "Nvidia Driver Package", I recommend Nvidia 313.00

: sudo apt-get install nvidia-313-updates

Next >

: sudo nvidia-xconfig

Next >

: sudo update-initramfs -u

Lastly > : sudo reboot

Before you do anything else, use Wolfmans tutorial to run DPKG before logging in Zorin DE. >> : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2247

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:37:48 pm

Hi,

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

And as Datek1 pointed out, update (run DPKG) after rebooting as it will most likely load more xorg/mesa packages and restart again, don't click on "Resume" if you are in recovery mode!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Uzi

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:02:12 am

Just an FYI on this. Update Manager this week has updates for NVIDIA included.

Nvidia.jpg

madmax72

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:59:15 pm

Thanks guys for the quick replies.
Never having used any version of linux before a lot of these commands mean very little to me, good reason to try Zorin because I need a challenge (there's a reason it's referred to windoze ;-) )
If the nvidia drivers are proving more stable on Zorin then I guess the change is imminent.
All we have to wait for is the gaming scene to be more linux friendly so we can retire windows altogether.
Thanks again guys

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:17:24 pm

Hi MM,

can we mark this as solved?.

Regards Wolfman :D

madmax72

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:34:45 pm

Hi wolfman, yeah I guess you can mark this as solved, at least for now ;)
Not sure how you go about marking a post as solved, so if my input is required please let me know.
Thanks again everybody

boo2014

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40:34 am

Today I did an update and when I rebooted I got a white screen instead of my desktop.. that as fun.

I tried all the usual stuff I have seen in here, and same problem. Then I followed this page exactly and I'm right back tot he log graphics mode. I can't even figure out how to get back to the nauve something graphics driver that did work, though I don't know how I got that since the first install of this zorin 8 was a nightmare as well with nvidia drivers. I'm beginning to dislike this operating system, which I thought i was supposed to be designed for dummies like me who are used to windows xp..

I am really not sure people are going to want to go through what I have already installing this thing 3 times.. If anyone has a clue how to get this thing working again with the drivers that come with it, I could sure use a tip that works. In the mean time I'm so over it I could ......... The two major issues is graphic drivers and getting to configure a mouse, if those things are a nightmare I'm not sure how to stay excited about this os. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but every video I watched about this os said it was meant for people like me, but it clearly isn't.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:49:59 am

Hi boo2014, could you please start a separate thread? Many thanks! :D